1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing the www.bhphotovideo.com site I found this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Quote:
The CU-VH1U is a portable video cassette player and recorder designed for the new HDV high-definition format as recorded by the JVC JY-HD10U camcorder. The deck offers playback in MPEG2 720p High Definition, MPEG2 480p Standard Definition and the standard DV 480i formats. The deck has a Firewire connector that makes this piece of equipment almost indispensable for location playback/review or downloading to a similarly equipped non-linear system.

Key Features

• Playback Options

For playback the CU-VH1 is extremely versatile. It will playback 720/30p, 480/60p and 480/60i recordings. This includes any footage shot with the JY-HD10U camcorder or the consumer version GR-HD1 camera.

• Up- and Down-Converter

A handy little function the deck possesses is the ability to take standard DV (60i) recordings and up convert to output 30p or 60p HD signals. In addition this little sparkler down-converts from the HD signal formats to standard definition so the video can be viewed on any SD monitor or television. 16:9 HD or SD footage can be played back in either widescreen or conventional format ratios. Down-converting and analog component 3-BNC output is available for the MPEG encoded progressive video. Standard NTSC interlaced DV video can be output via Firewire, S-video or composite connectors.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/l...ges/321741.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,240 Posts
Cool. But frustrating and frickin ridunkulous that it wont do 1080i. Stupid JVC. I didn't buy their camera, and now I won't buy their deck.

TM

·
Registered
309 Posts
1.) I'm not recording in HD to watch on a 3.5 screen.

2.) ~ $1800...I would buy another Brand new Sony 1080i HDV cam for those $

3.)Older unit that won't do both 1080i & 720p? What would be the point?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Per HDV specs it should play both 720 and 1080 but it doesn't have to record 1080. But I agree, not much use, better get another HDV cam. Sony has similar for twice the price with similar reactions.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
It is a pity that the HDV spec doesn't seem to allow for D-VHS style recording of external transport streams from ATSC receivers - unless I am missing something.

AIUI HDV 720p is based on a PES at around 18Mbs, and HDV 1080i is based on a TS of around 25Mbs - though both the PES is transcoded to and from TS for firewire connectivity purposes?

I am assuming that HDV VCRs don't support recording of cable/satellite/OTA transport streams from set top boxes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.