AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for an ota-only stb.. I have the Toshiba 42HDX82 with component and dvi in.. which stb should I choose? So far the Zenith looks superior minus not using PSIP.. if anyone has used both and has a preference I'd appreciate it greatly.

Any info on another comparable box would be great too.

Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had both and liked the 420, it just worked. ran cool, no high pitch noise. I have a t165 and almost kept the 420 but the 165 price was almost the same as the 420+tax.

Try the 420, same tuner strength.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The Zenith 420 is great, its my 2nd stb, my first being a Dish6000 (poor unit, buggy, slow . . BAD). Changes channels fast, I can pick up all my local ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS/UPN/WB channels with no problems here in LA.

You can get it from Circuit City for $400 , minus a $80 rebate (man dollars really, not money back) from MSN if you use the MSN wallet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hmmmm, I checked yesterday and it was no longer on CC web site.

Might be able to get a deal in-store now if they quit carrying them.

Ape

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
You might want to get one of each, the 420 from CC, and the T151 from BB, compare, and keep the one that you like better. Both places have generous return policies.

The 420 only uses some PSIP data, like channel mapping, and rating information. You get no guide, call letters, time, or anything else. It also sometimes "forgets" and has difficulty locking into stations. I have to go over and bump the antenna for it to lock in. This is probably a result of my less than optimal location, as much as any fault of the receiver.

Those are my only problems with the unit, and you can count me as a satisfied customer. It seems to have fewer problems tuning into stations with problematic PSIP data (perhaps a direct result of the fact that it ignores much of the data), whereas the Samsungs (according the reports in the "Boston Towers" thread) are more finicky.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I got the T151 yesterday and have no problems whatsoever so far. Locks on beautifully to every digital station in Dallas (VHF & UHF). Doesn't run hot or make any noise. I am becoming an OTA HDTV addict! $399 at BB. They price matched J&R.

·
Registered
238 Posts
A few other differences: closed captioning doesn't work on the Zenith, but does on the Samsung (maybe Zenith will fix this someday). The s-video is always on with the Samsung; split your RCA jacks into two inputs on your TV (it didn't result in any loss for me), and you can go between HD and SD much more easily.

That being said, I still kept my Zenith. It was $50 less, and much prettier

·
Registered
238 Posts
I went ahead and updated one of those referenced threads with more info on the 420. Both boxes seem to be OK. The biggest difference is, I've never seen a 420 on the shelf. I had to show up when the truck arrived to get one - they sell out immediately!

BB

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.