AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
I have not tried this, but looking at the specs it is a 4X1 HDMI switcher along with 4X1 optical switching

the 8X2 is a bit misleading!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ricky, did you end up getting one of these? I initially saw them on eBay but see they are actually cheaper directly at their site, plus there's a 15% off coupon code that brings it to like $139 shipped. If you do get it I'd appreciate your comments as I'm thinking of getting one to switch my SA 8300HD DVR and a PS3 to my 50" Vizio monitor and an Onkyo receiver that doesn't have HDMI input.

Thanks,

Bruce...

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
In addition to what Mark said, I don't see any provisions for mounting the switcher horizontally. It looks like using it upright might be the only way.

Of course that might work for some, but running cables vertically into the box, will give a different look, than running them horizontally, if you can't cover them somehow. I prefer not to see my cables if possible.

·
Premium Member
17,215 Posts
Any chance that it might combine DVI + toslink audio on one of the inputs and give me HDMI A+V on the output?

It says DVI compatible.

I've got a cable box that has DVI+toslink but I'd like to route everything through a single HDMI switcher.

Does anyone know of a device that'll turn DVI+toslink into HDMI A+V?

·
Premium Member
17,215 Posts

Quote:
Does anyone know of a device that'll turn DVI+toslink into HDMI A+V?

I found the CP-268...

http://www.macrocare.co.th/cypress/cp-268.php

Search e-bay for "DVI + DIGITAL AUDIO to HDMI CONVERTER"

Gefen makes one too. For $275.

Seach e-bay for "GEFEN DVI AUDIO TO HDMI ADAPTER EXT-DVIAUD-2-HDMI"

But HDMI is already waaaaaay too finicky... there's no way I'm going to spend $150-$300 for a device to merge DVI+toslink into HDMI when I can only get half of my native HDMI devices to support HDCP and full resolutions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got one of these little switchers. So far, it works with everything I've hooked up to it (Xbox360, PS3, vip622, TivoHD), without a hitch. The 622 briefly did not show a picture, but now it's working fine. While I can turn it on and off with my Harmony remote, it will not toggle between inputs, I'll have to rely on the little remote that came with the unit for that. And it is passing 1080p from my PS3.

ETA; The HDVio does work with my Harmony remote, although it's not listed as a function, pushing the up down arrow buttons will switch from input to input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered one of these since I got into the Roku Netflix HD beta and I don't have enough inputs. Additionally, my TV doesn't output 5.1 through the SPDIF output. I'll post a quick review once I get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarilla /forum/post/15312679

I just ordered one of these since I got into the Roku Netflix HD beta and I don't have enough inputs. Additionally, my TV doesn't output 5.1 through the SPDIF output. I'll post a quick review once I get it.

@ abarilla, did you ever try the device? If so let us know how it went.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For those looking to purchase this device it works fantastic. I received it yesterday and everything works great. For the money, if you need HDMI and optical audio, this is the way to go.

Using with Samsung HLN-507W 50" DLP via HDMI - DVI cable. Optical audio to Onkyo receiver.

Devices used:

Apple TV firmware 2.3 running Boxee and XMBC

Roku Netflix Streaming Box

Off Brand DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HD cable box

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forgot to post a follow up to this. It works great except for one problem which is a possible configuration issue.

I have DirecTV, Roku box, DVD and PC hooked up to the switch. All of them except the DVD work fine. With the DVD I have to manually change the TV settings between force full and force widescreen for it to appear in the correct format. If I leave the TV (an Olevia 247) in Aspect ratio it thinks the DVD is in full screen mode but if I bypass the switch the TV correctly detects the correct mode. I tried this with two different DVD players and it's the same. I can work around by using the HDMI2 input on my TV but I'd like to keep things simple for everyone else. Both DVD players are set to widescreen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.