AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited the Home Entertainment Expo today (seems like this was the unpopular day to go) and I figured more people would have been talking the new stuff Faroujda had there...

I was annoying the salesman, who pulls off the "I'm full of myself" like the other Faroujda person I've talked to very well.

I asked if they had the combo DVD / scaler:

"We've got the DCS" and beckons at something that looks like my NRS from 10 feet away. I walk over since I have no clue what the DCS is.

"Thats what I was talking about."

"Oh well yea."

"I didn't know it was out."

"Of course, its been out since last week!"

A few minutes later as I was waiting for the show to start, I looked over and took a proper look at what I thought was the D-ILA projector next to me. I realized it had Faroujda badging and I decided to ask him what they did (besides the obvious Panamorph on it.)

"Hah, I can't tell you that, its trade secret! JVC saw it and wanted to partner with us."

Gee thanks for the information. Basically I wanted to know if they just did tweaking or if they had put Faroujda chips on the D-ILA which didn't make sense to me because they were driving it for a $10k! scaler. I compared it to the Infocus and he said that unit was junk and abruptly turned away.

It probably has something to do with me not looking like a typical customer but they didn't seem very helpful.

Anyway before they played some movies, the Faroujda guy, a Krell person and someone from Stewart got up. The Krell guy didn't have much in the way of content but bragged about some funny things (we get 120w at 8 ohms in our system and wait for it....240w at 4 ohms!) Wow I couldn't have guessed that :)

Anyway, the other things I didn't like during the Faroujda presentation: "We're the first to line double 1080i with this unit." Uhh...your several year old unit already did it, and I can name 4 other scalers that do it, plus all the other D-ILA projectors do it.

Then he bragged about with their new DVI inputs and outputs coupled with the plasma outside, they were the (cough) first to have a full digital path from DVD to display. How about you guys were the LAST to the game? I chuckled when he said that but was ignored. Finally he bragged about having a "custom anamorphic lens, another innovation we pioneered" on it. Looked like a Panamorph to me that I read about people doing a year ago.

As for the video material...I wasn't really impressed. Of course it looked great, but nothing new. I've seen a calibrated G15 on the exact same size Stewart Firehawk powered by an HTPC (with no panamorph) and I honestly didn't see much of an improvement. The detail was nice but the color seemed a little washed out (this was is in a light-controlled room.) I'm thinking even with their "enhancments" their customized projector wasn't as good as the one I saw calibrated with DILARD. At least they've finally caught up to everyone else, but the price...oy!

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Cal,

Frankly, I thought that the Sharp 9000 next door had a better picture. That new Stewart FireHawk screen is a perfect match for the DLP chip.

And can you imagine Faroudja using "Star Bores - TPM" as a demo??? Man, it was EE city - quite awful!

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
You should have asked him if the DCS isn't a clever bypass of the Millenium act (DCMA) - since DVDs aren't supposed to have digital outputs at all, nor support > 480p analog resolutions...

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ofer,

I'm not sure this is a DMCA thing. Cliff Watson was talking about this in another solution (using the MyHD card for DVD playback) and it has to do with the DVD License and Macrovision not wanting to be circumvented. Basically how I read it is that it isn't legal per se, but a restriction of the license supposedly put on all DVD players.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
I'm not sure how the MyHD card situation applies here (I haven't read that thread - I would appreciate a pointer).

There are many companies doing after manufacturing additions of SDI and other types of modifications. Those are also problematic, but probably not of great concern to the studios.

However, an integrated solution that offers DVD playing with a completely digital output and higher res analog output, could be of great concern to them. I wonder how Faroudja stands on this issue.

·
Registered
629 Posts
So has anyone actually tested the DCS in their own system yet?

Compared it head-to-head to an SDI-Leeza or the like?

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.