AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased 5 in wall JBL HTI88s, which are passive sub-woofers, mistaken them for the bigger cousins full range speakers JBL HTI55 (mostly my stupidity, but partially thank to JBL for their intuitive naming convention)

JBL HTI88 specifications:

Frequency Response: 30Hz - 100Hz (-6dB)

Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 250 Watts per channel

Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal per woofer

Sensitivity: 94dB (2.83V/1m), both woofers driven

Crossover Frequency: 100Hz, 2nd order

Woofer Dual 8" polymer-coated aluminum cones w/rubber surrounds
2 speaker-level outs

HTI88 Manual
HTI88 Specs
HTI88 Troubleshooting Guide

There are sufficient space for me to insert a tweeter, and a midrange.

I need to modify HTI88 into a)Center speaker, and b)Fronts/Surrounds speakers

Your expertise and speedy responses will resolve the last, yet biggest, hurdle for my HT experience!

Thanks,

pdn

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd sell them if I were going through the trouble you are looking at doing. You'll lose some $$ on it .. but modifying a plastic baffle/replacing it with MDF/etc .... I'd just build the whole in walls myself at this point.

If you must do something ... look for a DIY on-wall design that doesn't have any baffle step compensation in it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well .... I have built two of John Krutke's designs (Zaph Audio) ... and absolutely loved the L18 2-way of his. He says he has a non baffle-step'd version of it ... you can try and email him for it.

What is the DIY budget for this?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
What about buying small in wall speakers, installing them close to the JBLs, and using the speaker level outs to drive them? That take care of the need to fool around with crossovers.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
In order to create a WMTW in-wall you'd need someone to measure the JBL's, then create a custom crossover based on those measurements and the FR data from the mid and tweeter.

This is a somewhat trivial task for a knowledgable designer with the proper test equipment and software. It's pretty much an impossible take for someone who's never done it before....

Your best bet is probably to pay someone like Rick Craig or Dennis Murphy to create this design for you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekguy /forum/post/0

What about buying small in wall speakers, installing them close to the JBLs, and using the speaker level outs to drive them? That take care of the need to fool around with crossovers.

At this point, cutting more holes is the last thing I dare to do
Thx anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas-W /forum/post/0

It's pretty much an impossible take for someone who's never done it before....

I absolutely agree! There are too much involved, equipments, knowledge, etc... Thx too.

My research took me to TechSup of PartsExpress.Com, whose suggestions seem the best choice at this point:
  • Replace the HTI88 crossover board with the "Dayton XO3W-375.3K 3-Way Crossover 375/3,000 Hz" @ $45. 3-way crossover
  • Replace 1 (out of 2) HTI88 8" woofer with "Pioneer B20GR30-51F 8" Butyl Surround Woofer". This woofer's frequency response is 31-7,000 Hz, which will perform/cover the midrange @ $33. 8" woofer (serves as midrange)
  • I already got the 8-ohms tweeter, and it can/will be installed in the spare space between the 2 woofers

What does this proposal achieve?
  • 3-way crossover -> 3-way speaker
  • All 3 speakers are 8-ohms
  • Re-use the 8" baffle (from existing 2nd woofer)
  • Very important: Not messing with any more holes
  • All for about $80 per speaker (with S/H)

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this proposal. Any oversights, potential issues, etc...?

Thanks,

pdn

·
Registered
470 Posts
Simply said, you are not going to be satisfied with the results.

Sell you speakers, cut your losses, patch your holes and move on.

Drywall is very easily and cheaply fixed ... just patch up your wounds and start over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw350z /forum/post/0

...Sell you speakers, cut your losses, patch your holes and move on.

Thanks, Jim... But it wasn't the financial aspect that tops my concern. The work involves in fixing up 5 14"x24" is.

I may heed your advice eventually... But I'll give this approach a try first.

Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
178 Posts

Quote:

Simply said, you are not going to be satisfied with the results.

Sell you speakers, cut your losses, patch your holes and move on.

Drywall is very easily and cheaply fixed ... just patch up your wounds and start over.

I agree, even my fiance knows how to fix up drywall holes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Well .. if you are in CA ... you can head over to home depot and get a couple of workers for ~$100 and the materials you need for another $100 and be done with it in a morning.

I'd say thats your best bet to get it fixed up.

Using a pre-built crossover with the JBL woofers is a bad idea. They are low-efficiency heavy aluminum cones. Also .. very few 8" woofer, that Pioneer included, are likely to get up to 3kHz without some serious breakup, let alone 7kHz.

The biggest problem you are going to have is sensitivity matching the system together.

I wish you luck .... but I encourage you to go a different direction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I feel like a wimp now! Thanks to Confusedsoul

I'm way over the East coast; and the one time I picked up some one from HD, at around 3pm that Saturday, they told me "I don't want to have an Ambulance pulls up your driveway..." Scare the heck out of me!!! I drove them back to HD, and paid them 150% of the negotiated price. Later, driving home, I realized my sunglasses, and all the coins in my car disappeared when I stopped over an ATM to get cash. Real story!

So... I guess I'll keep you all posted.

Nevertheless, if anything of all, you guys think I should be mindful of, in taking the PartsExpress.Com's suggestions, please.... educate me!

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:

Using a pre-built crossover with the JBL woofers is a bad idea. They are low-efficiency heavy aluminum cones. Also .. very few 8" woofer, that Pioneer included, are likely to get up to 3kHz without some serious breakup, let alone 7kHz.

The biggest problem you are going to have is sensitivity matching the system together.

I wish you luck .... but I encourage you to go a different direction.

Jim, I thought hard of what you said, and came up with another approach.
  • Purchase JBL HTI8, which is a 2-way speaker with a frequency response 30Hz-20kHz, crossover at 2500Hz, has an 8" woofer, and a tweeter
  • Replace the HTI88 crossover board with this JBL HTI8 crossover
  • Replace 1 (out of 2) HTI88 8" woofer with the 8" woofer from the HTI8
  • Connect the tweeter and 8" woofer from the HTI8 back to the HTI8 crossover. In essence this is to re-house the entire HTI8 into a bigger baffle HTI88

Doing this would avoid me the drywall/plaster/painting work. The sound is essentially of the JBL HTI.

One big question I have is with the remaining 8" woofer originally from the HTI88 that still occupies the space. What could/should I do with it? One thing for sure is I'm not going to remove it from the baffle for aesthetic consideration.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

pdn

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
"Generic" crossovers are the worst possible choice for the creation of a good sounding speaker system.

The proper way to design a speaker is to have measurements of the frequency response plots of the drivers, import that data into a crossover design program, and create a design specific to the drivers being used. Anything else is just guessing.

It appears you have enough room on the baffle to use the Parts Express RS52 dome mid (or similar) and a tweeter. Do this with a properly designed crossover and you'll have a good sounding system. Anything else is just a bandaid.........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.