AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from those in the know. GF's son wants some head phones for Christmas and she is saying he wants bose, I told her she wasn't buying him anything bose. Thing is I have no idea what would be considered good head phones. He will be using them mostly for gaming. So do you guys have any suggestions around the 100 buck price range.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I'd recommend Sony pro headphones. These that I linked, are very popular. I've used one pair of Sonys, both for live FOH use, and a variety of recording, listening for pleasure, gaming. I've had them for 15 years in these hostile environments, they sound good and feel good.

Here are the one's I use, they are outstanding. I prefer them over many other headphone company mfrs., I don't know why Sony did so well with these, but they are high performance and high value, rare combination.

I see a lot of Bose products when I fly, and around the pro football community. However, I'd strongly not recommend them, even though I've not heard them. Typically, the margins Bose employs are real, real high. I'd stick with Sony, Sennheiser, Koss. I'd venture that whatever Bose product one could get at any given price point, one could do at least twice as good w/ a non-Bose product.

And if noise canceling is needed, other mfrs. do this very well too. Bose spends so much on advertising, and this artificial aura surrounding their products. some are very good, just terribly, terribly overpriced.

The problem is headphones are such a personal preference. So get some nice ones, and I'd bet you wont need to take them back. ...but keep the receipt

·
Registered
707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/19568093

will the grandfather only use the headphones in the house ? What kind of listening does he want to do ? Is noise-canceling really needed ?

lol

He said "GF's son" ... so he's clearly referring to either his father or his uncle, not the grandfather himself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If he's going to be using them mainly for gaming, then he'll most likely want a pair with integrated microphone support. Do you know what game system he'll be using them with?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat286 /forum/post/19561692

Need some help from those in the know. GF's son wants some head phones for Christmas and she is saying he wants bose, I told her she wasn't buying him anything bose. Thing is I have no idea what would be considered good head phones. He will be using them mostly for gaming. So do you guys have any suggestions around the 100 buck price range.

Thanks

Tritton headphones are very popular for head phones. Check those out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts