AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We have a used Sony 30-gig hardrive camcorder on the Expedition's dash.

Northbound approaching a red intersection, drivers detected the lights and siren and slowed and stopped.

One vehicle behind a front westbound vehicle slammed on brakes and almost stopped before hitting the front vehicle.

I saw it but the minor rear-end collision was just out of view of the dash cam.

Any recommendations for a head-worn camcorder?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thank you, X.

The Sony Action camcorder has image stabilization, which makes viewing so much easier.

Years ago I attached an "L" bracket to my hardhat and secured our 8mm camcorder to the bracket with a thumb screw.  

The lens was right at my eye-level and just behind my peripheral vision range, so it did not interfere with my vision.

I placed weight on the left side to counterbalance the camcorder.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thank you.

Wow!   That small Panasonic camera and remote recorder would be perfect! 

But Best Buy has a $199 Sony which records in stereo and has zoom and no fixed focus.

So we could use it for other things.

Now I'll have to bring my hard hat and try it.

·
Registered
853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws  /t/1522110/head-worn-camcorder-while-driving-an-emergencyehicle#post_24470386

Good point about the stabilization.

The Panasonic HX-A100 for $199 also has image stabilization:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/910281-REG/panasonic_hx_a100k_hx_a100_full_hd_wearable.html

"Image Stabilizer, Level Shot Function":
http://panasonic.net/avc/camcorder/active/product/hxa100/

The HX-A100 has DIGITAL image stabilization, which degrades image quality and reduces the field of view to only 104 degrees. The loss of image quality is probably not significant for your application, but the reduction in FoV will be.

The newest Sony HDR-AS100 (due to be released this month) has optical image stabilization, but it's more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts