AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm getting more confused as I read more manuals, forums, and get more misinformation from Comcast on optimum connections after getting a SonyKDL-32L4000 HDTV. My "stuff" :

HD Motorola DCH3200, SD Motorola DCT700, and an older Panny DVD/VCR recorder combo (DMR-ES40V).

I'm trying to be able to watch HDTV (works fine w/ just HD box) but would also like to record some programs and On Demand shows. I know the recodings would be SD but that's OK. Have tried various connections w/ HD set-top but all have gotten no pic or a bad one.

I'm thinking maybe use a splitter from the wall outlet, then coax to the two set-tops,then coax from the SD box to the recorder and on toTV, and HDMI cable from HD box to TV. WHEW! Sorry if I got too windy. You can tell I'm a little OC. Any help, suggestions on splitter, cable, alternatives, or whatever would be very appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
What is the source of your TV? Cable (analog or digital), Satellite, OTA, etc?

If it is digital cable digital OTA or Satellite, then your DVD/VCR will not be able to record the raw stream from the coaxial cable. So that doesn't help at all. You'll have to use a composite output from one of your STBs and connect it to the composite input of the DVD/VCR recorder. If it has a S-Video input that would be a better choice, but I suspect it does not.

The picture quality will obviously be much worse than the HD signal you'll watch on your TV because it will be recorded at a much lower resolution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 /forum/post/15589628

If it is digital cable digital OTA or Satellite, then your DVD/VCR will not be able to record the raw stream from the coaxial cable. So that doesn't help at all. You'll have to use a composite output from one of your STBs and connect it to the composite input of the DVD/VCR recorder. If it has a S-Video input that would be a better choice, but I suspect it does not.

The picture quality will obviously be much worse than the HD signal you'll watch on your TV because it will be recorded at a much lower resolution.

Thanks for the reply sic0048. I have digital cable (Comcast) running into the house. Before getting HDTV, I had coaxial cable (supplied by Comcast tech) running from wall outlet to SD STB, then on to DVD/VCR recorder, from there to my old SD TV. Picture quality was good and was able to record w/ good results. After buying HDTV and using same connections got OK pic but poor recording. Problem worse when I traded SD STB w/ HD STB...great pic but using your connections (above)unusable recording. That led me to think I had to incorporate the SD STB. Am I just trying the impossible?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyched /forum/post/15610165

Thanks for the reply sic0048. I have digital cable (Comcast) running into the house. Before getting HDTV, I had coaxial cable (supplied by Comcast tech) running from wall outlet to SD STB, then on to DVD/VCR recorder, from there to my old SD TV. Picture quality was good and was able to record w/ good results. After buying HDTV and using same connections got OK pic but poor recording. Problem worse when I traded SD STB w/ HD STB...great pic but using your connections (above)unusable recording. That led me to think I had to incorporate the SD STB. Am I just trying the impossible?

You're not trying the impossible and you don't need the SD STB, you're most likely just doing something wrong.

When you say, "great pic but using your connections (above) unusable recording ", it leads me to believe that you haven't told your VCR/DVD combo recorder which input to record from, i.e., Line Input 1 or Line Input 2 depending on whether you connected the red, white and yellow RCA plugs to the front or the rear of the combo recorder. Also, make sure you used the same type of connections (and not just coaxial cable) from the output of the recorder to your TV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts