AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to build a small recessed cabinet above a fireplace mantle for a DVD player and cable box etc. To do this, I will need to cut out two studs and install a header, but I'm not sure about whether a trimmer stud above the header is required (see the blue stud circled in the picture). The ceiling is about 15' so I can't put in a stud long enough as I don't want to cut out the sheetrock all the way up. I also want to limit the number of studs I cut out so that only minimal bracing is needed while the studs are out. I plan to attach a 2x10 across several studs while installing the header.

Any suggestions?

edit: This photo is for a window, but you get the idea

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply BIG,I knew I could count on you! That's good to know as well. It looks like adding the cripple studs at the top might add a little more support. Sort of like a dado compared to a rabbet.

After cutting a hole in the sheet rock, it looks like the studs on either side of my planned cabinet are already cripple studs. There is a header behind the fireplace hearth. So I think I can just cut into the existing cripple stud, and use them for a jack stud for my header.

Here's to hoping the roof doesn't come crashing down when I start cutting

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,137 Posts
Just an oops too late thought! There are some building codes with how close combustible materials can be to the fireplace flue. I image if you are popping a recessed box into the wall this may be an issue. Time to get the flashlight out and look in that hole you cut for the location of the flue and how it is constructed.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmmm, great point again BIG..... Safe distance to combustibles is something I hadn't considered, but not because of the flue. The fireplace appears to be a set of ventless gas logs, so there does not appear to be a flue that I would need to be concerned with. However, Now I'm wondering how much space is required above the fireplace behind the wall? I would imagine these things are designed to be installed in a combustible opening (wood construction home, that is).

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's an update in case anyone else ever runs into this. I've looked through the installation manual and even called one of the local installers for ventless fireplaces, and it appears that the only constraints are on combustibles near the fireplace opening. The rear of the fireplace has a spacer above it, and as long as any recessed cabinets etc are above this spacer, life is good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts