AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sort of... At least it's starting to look that way :D I finally have all the acoustic panels made and in place, now I just need to install the plate rail and base molding to cover the furring strips. I also added some permanent masking to the screen wall so that I could finish out the electrical work and power up the projector through the ceiling rather than via my temporary extension cord.

Ultimately I need to build a set of shelves for the back alcove, and something nicer looking for the AV rack, oh, and also have to do some light control curtains for the rear windows and the arch into the lobby. Well, and upgrade my screen... :rolleyes: and... :rolleyes: and... :(

The Berklines will be arriving at the end of October, so I; optimistic that we should be at 100% functional by the time the Extended Edition of Two Towers comes out!

Check out the latest pictures in my gallery...

Eric.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The frames are made from 1" strips ripped from 2x6 stock (so 1.5"x1"). I used pocketscrews and glue to assemble them, then stretched fabric over them and stapled. I cut the 1" linacoustic off the roll to size and friction fit it into the frame. The fabric is clearance drapery fabric I got for $2 a yard at JoAnn's, so each panel probably cost me about $5-6 in materials.

The panels are held in place on the wall by a top and bottom rail that's mounted on the wall with screws, eventually a plate/chair rail and baseboard will hold the panels "permanently" against the wall.

Eventually I'm probably going to build corner bass traps (assuming they are necessary) using a similar technique. Plan is to go with a modified version of Ethan Winer's design that will actually a triangular corner. They will be covered with the same fabric. They will fit snugly in between the base board and plate rail, but still be removable for tweaking.

One theoretical advantage is that I could change the fabric without going completely insane. The top plate rail is screwed down to the top furring strip, so I can remove it and pop out the panels!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Last night I found a multitude of sites that detail how to make the flat traps, info and calcs on center frequencies etc...

Here

and here

and here

and here

and more...

The second link has a picture of a corner trap that's triangular. The first site has the best calculators and details of different traps. And I thought this was going to be some big mystery. In fact, the diagrams on the other site are the most mysterious as to the actual construction; plus I cannot fathom spending $400-$600 on a 2x4 trap with plain-jane veneer. For that money it should be flat-out exotic. The good news is that this looks very simple as a diy project (for anyone who's built speakers it's a joke) and will allow customizing for the room modes. That's the other thing I realized; you want to target the frequencies that are the worst. For most people a 60hz trap is probably appropriate, though, and if stuffed it apparently widens the effective frequency range of operation. Also the diy approach will let you experiment with different surfaces; i.e. you could use thin plywood with a layer of roofing rubber on each side, or you could try drywall, mdf, a combination, etc. The heavier the panel / area the lower the frequency for a given volume.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vince,

Thanks for the links! I had found the second one before, but the other detailed ones are fantastic, just what the Dr. ordered!

Thanks again,

Eric.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sconces are made by Meyda Tiffany. I bought them at lightstore.net after I saw them in a local dealers catalog. They're nice looking, but do tend to spill a lot of light out the back, mounting is fairly non-standard, and they are only rated for a 40 watt bulb.

But they did work out great for me!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Looking good!

Had me worried when I saw the white couch, but then remembered that you'd ordered Berklines.

Not white ones, I hope!

Randy

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Randy!

The berklines are a saddle brown leather match, darker than the top of the walls and the carpet (if I'm recalling correctly, but lighter than the fabric on the lower half of the walls.

The one thing to be said for that (otherwise aweful) white couch is that you sit super low in it. We're going to keep it around (in another room of course) for use as an emergency front row if we have an over capacity crowd!

Eric.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.