AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have to listen thru headphones at night for movies after the baby is asleep (condo is too small to run my system at the level I want). I think Silent Cinema (on my HTR-5650) sounds good in my Grados but I always hear how AV receivers have poor headphone amplification and a dedicated headphone amp improves listening dramatically when run directly from the DVD player.

Does anyone have any info regarding the quality of the Yamaha headphone amp?

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm not familiar with your receiver, but I will say that the headphone jacks/ headphone amps on most receivers aren't the best. In fact, my previous pre/pro, the Rotel 1066 didn't even include one, whereas my current pre/pro, the Integra 9.4, has one that can't nearly bring out the best of my new Sennheiser 650 HD's. For that reason, I've been spending a lot of time at the headfi boards and it was there that I learned of the Perreaux SXH-1 headphone preamp, which is a pure class A that is sold through Audio Advisor for about $350. My Senn's, at 300 ohms, are very hard to drive, so it might not matter as much with your Grado's, but I can't help but believe that it would be a very significant jump up in audio quality from your receiver. Not sure, but I'd bet on it. If you're interested, it has two jacks for separate headphones, but, before buying another pair, I'd make sure that the resistance of each headphone was approximately the same, or else the volumes would be too far out of sync.

If I were you, I'd pose this question over at Headfi as those guys are very helpful and really know their gear. I'll be back in a second with a link.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was wondering how you like the Yamaha and what speakers do you have hooked up to it? I was interested in buying one and I heard they are very bright.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yamahas are never bright, just detailed and accurate and they reveal quite a lot with the right speakers. The silent cinema rules, just imagine that from a $50 headphone you can get quite realistic surround.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am enjoying my Yamaha. I have Klipsch all around and while it is a little bright ( I would term it as clarity), I am very happy with the combo. I really enjoy some of the DSP modes- better than any other receiver I've had or heard.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Curious....I have the same problem with our newborn and late night movies and was wondering, do you and your wife both put a pair of headphones on when you watch a movie? My wife got me a nice pair of Senn's for Christmass, but it's pretty much just me watching movies solo now. How is it watching movies with 2 people, both with headphones on?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tim, you could do what I did.... play the music or the movie regardless of the kid.... they will get use to it!!!

You could have a life of headphone listening, or a life music and movies... your choice, but the kid will get use to it!

Cheers - Dave

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I aggree that they will get used to it but it's actually more than that- we have a neighbor below us and we have hardwood floors and it's very easy to hear.

We use two pair of headphones split from one line. The sound is quite good with Silent Cinema paired with Senn. 497's and Grado SR80's. I'm sure it can be improved with a bteer extension cord and a headphone amp but it's better than I would have thought before- I don't think I'll bother with a HP amp.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I need a set of headphones with an attachable cord so that I can replace this cord with one ca. 30 feet in length. My receiver will be the Pioneer VSX-D912K. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.