AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would appear that no manufacturer of an HDMI capable receiver allows for the use of headphones and speakers simultaneously.

I have hearing loss, my wife doesn't. When we watch TV, she doesn't want to wear headphones but also does not want the speakers cranked to where I need them to be. So the easiest thing is have the speakers at lower volume and I wear headphones to make up the difference.

Recently I decided to modernize things and picked up a Yamaha receive with four HDMI inputs. As soon as I plugged in my headphones, the speakers cut out. A quick call to tech support said that all Yamaha receivers do this.

I called Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, Denon, Harman Kardon...They all do this.

So my question is...Is there an HDMI receiver out there with at least 4 inputs that does what I want?

If that doesn't work, I have some ideas.

One, the analog video out on the receivers is worthless b/c all the inputs are digital and the receiver does not down convert. However, I could get a digital to analog converter from Monoprice for 20 bucks to get a pair of rca's. However, Monoprice warns that 5.1 signals will not be converted and that may be an issue for some programming.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My next thought it that I could use a line converter and hook the device up to the second set of speaker conversions. I do worry about sound quality.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC8...0.html?tp=2001

Out of all the manufacturers I called, only Yamaha was even slightly apologetic, stating that they had this request quite often and that they have sent a feature request to Japan. Everyone else was like "Tough luck, no one would ever want this feature."

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
It's just not one of those features that the masses really want or need. However, you can do what you want with a set of wireless headphones (eg. Sennheiser) which would plug in to an analog Out jack or Zone 2 preouts. You would need to connect an analog cable from the source to the AVR in addition to HDMI in order to pipe audio to the headphones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have finally solved being able to use headphones while the speakers are playing.
I have a home theatre with a Yamaha RX-V781 amplifier. My hearing has become poor and I often miss dialogue when watching TV. I have been trying to solve this challenge for a few weeks and have finally succeeded.
You have to use your HDMI 2 output to connect the headphones. With my receiver, when I first tried this, it didn't work, Then, through some exploring of the setup menu, I discovered that I had to turn on the HDMI 2 output for audio.
Voila, everything works perfectly.
If your headphones are wireless and you have an HDMI input into the base/charge unit, then you'll only need to connect the 'HDMI 2 out' to the headphone base unit.
If your headphones or base unit has an 1/8 inch audio jack, then you need to purchase a little converter unit to convert HDMI to optical/phone jack output.
I bought my converter on Amazon - a Proster HDMI Audio Extractor/Converter for $31.99 Cdn. It includes an HDMI cable, USB power cable and RCA to mini jack cable, so you don't need to buy any cables to get it working.
This little unit plugs into your amplifier 'HDMI 2 out' connection, and allows you to plug your 1/8 inch jack or optical cable into it.
Of note: a wireless headphone may be better because it will have volume control on the headset. Otherwise, I think, you'll be running at the volume of your speakers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2019 and newer Denon and Marantz models now feature Bluetooth transmit in which the main source audio can be sent to both Bluetooth hearing aids and the surround speakers at the same time.
I have this same issue. Wife is hard of hearing and looking to hook up either heedphones (or a hearing aid) so I can have the sound go thru the speakers and the headphones at the same time.
I have a Denon AVRX4400H that I purchase in March of 2019. Few questions:
1. Is that AVR capable of doing this?
2. How would I set this up?
3. What hearing aids or headphones are compatible with this?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
I have this same issue. Wife is hard of hearing and looking to hook up either heedphones (or a hearing aid) so I can have the sound go thru the speakers and the headphones at the same time.
I have a Denon AVRX4400H that I purchase in March of 2019. Few questions:
1. Is that AVR capable of doing this?
2. How would I set this up?
3. What hearing aids or headphones are compatible with this?

Thanks in advance for your help
No as the X4400H is a 2017 model and the Bluetooth transmit feature is only on the 2019 and newer models. You can however, purchase a 3rd party Bluetooth transmitter and Bluetooth headphones and connect the transmitter to the Zone 2 pre-outs. For the same source to play in both the main zone and Zone 2, the source must either be PCM 2.0 (ie. in addition to an HDMI cable, if possible, also connect an analog audio cable from the source to the AVR), or you can select the OPTION - ALL ZONE STEREO surround mode which.

·
Registered
267 Posts
2019 and newer Denon and Marantz models now feature Bluetooth transmit in which the main source audio can be sent to both Bluetooth hearing aids and the surround speakers at the same time.
^ jd, re your comment above, responding to the situation of chcallender, my situation is identical.

Well, almost. I have a 2-channel amplifier connected, in order to power my two Zone 2 speakers simultaneously with my 5.2.4 main setup. Am I reading between the lines correctly that, essentially, I might be able to run Zone 2 (simultaneously, in addition to Zone 1), or have the headphones listening to Zone 1 output, but not both Zone 2 AND the headphones simultaneously? Not that I envision that . . . .

Thank you for your invaluable presence on this site! And, I do love my 4400H. In fact, I showed it some love several months ago, and bought it a nice fan system for its operating comfort.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
^ jd, re your comment above, responding to the situation of chcallender, my situation is identical.

Well, almost. I have a 2-channel amplifier connected, in order to power my two Zone 2 speakers simultaneously with my 5.2.4 main setup. Am I reading between the lines correctly that, essentially, I might be able to run Zone 2 (simultaneously, in addition to Zone 1), or have the headphones listening to Zone 1 output, but not both Zone 2 AND the headphones simultaneously? Not that I envision that . . . .

Thank you for your invaluable presence on this site! And, I do love my 4400H. In fact, I showed it some love several months ago, and bought it a nice fan system for its operating comfort.
The main zone and Zone 2 can pass the same source using either "All Zone Stereo" or if a PCM 2.0 stereo signal is passed from the source in addition to the HDMI cable for the multi-channel audio, then the multi-channel audio can play in the main zone and the stereo 2.0 audio can play in Zone 2.

If you connect headphones to the headphone jack on the front panel, this will mute the main zone speakers but still pass the stereo audio to the Zone 2 speakers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The main zone and Zone 2 can pass the same source using either "All Zone Stereo" or if a PCM 2.0 stereo signal is passed from the source in addition to the HDMI cable for the multi-channel audio, then the multi-channel audio can play in the main zone and the stereo 2.0 audio can play in Zone 2.

If you connect headphones to the headphone jack on the front panel, this will mute the main zone speakers but still pass the stereo audio to the Zone 2 speakers.
jd,

Keeping in mind that I want to preserve the surround sound modes of my 5.2.4 X4400H setup, AND have my wife able to listen to hear dialogue properly through headphones (sound quality not terribly important), might I be able to attach a bluetooth transmitter to the AVR to transmit the bt signal to those headphones at the same time as I listen "regularly" through the current speaker setup?

As this listening arrangement is only for her hearing when we watch TV or a movie, is something like the above possible? I have the AVR hard-wired, the two antennae attached, as well as a LAN set up with additional TP-link mesh pods in the vicinity.

Do you see a solution for me?

Thanks for any response!

·
Registered
JVC NZ7; Denon X8500HA, 9.2.4 with Klipsch RF-7 III's & Klipsch Surrounds/In-Ceilings
2,553 Posts
I think my Denon DRA-800H does this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.