AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just broke my Grado SR-80s (don't ask) but they're paperweights right now (no audible sound from either speaker).

I'm looking for a new set and I had my eye on the Sennheiser HD595...how different will these sound from the Grado SR80s? Any other suggestions?

I mostly listen to all types of music with them on my PC (Auzentech x-Meridian with LM4562 opamps) to give you an idea of what drives them. Analog out from X-Meridian to an old Denon (AVR-484 lol) and then the headphones plug into that.

My other usage is on my laptop on rare occasions although it's analog out seems rather powerful compared to other laptops so resistance isn't too much of an issue...I DO NOT have or plan on getting a headphone amp so keep that in mind with your suggestions...also price can't exceed $180 (it's the price I found the HD595's for). Thanks.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'd go for denon d2000 in your case. I know you dont wanna go over $180 but I feel extra $20 is nothing when you get a better headphone (which I think d2000 is). Otherwise, I'd go for sa3k .

If you like grado sound I dont think the dark+veiled sennheiser sound will make you happy. I love clean and detailed sound personally.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you are a Grado fan, then I agree that sennheiser will not be a good choice for you, I would also include AKG in the not recommend list too..

Why not go for another Grado/Alessandro? I think with a budget of around $180, you should be able ot get an Alessandro Music one with ease..

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If you like the grado sound senns will sound dull to you, personally I'm a senn man myself (HD 650!
) but I know some people find sennheisers a little too relaxed for their tastes. With that said the 595s are the most forward sounding in the line and I liked them a lot while I owned them. I think they provide more accurate sound than the grados you're using now whether you'll like it or not is subjective

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you tried sending your sr80s back to Joe? Getting my sr60s fixed after blowing one side was the most pleasant customer service experience I have ever had.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
GRADOS are some of the brightest headphones i have listened to so if your happy with

the sound you will not be happy with anything but another set of GRADOS.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already ordered the HD595's don't make me feel bad already...

I love the Grado sound but I have to admit (I was in denial for a while) that the comfort level of them for long term use was less than desirable.

No one posted in the thread for a couple of hours...I got antsy
and jumped on them. I'm currently stuck with some Creative earbuds for the time being (supposedly they're rebadged Senn's from what I hear online) and they're not bad but man they lack detail and are way to bass heavy.

I see everyone states oh headphone amp...won't the Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 be more than powerful enough to amp this can? It's got a rather hot analog out from what I've read.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Headphones are more of a personnel taste than any other piece of gear due to sound

and fitment. I happen to like Sennhiser and own some hd-580's. As for iems I have

been satisfied with UESFI 5 PRO'S wish I had the budget for the 10's and in time I will

get the hd-650's.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
see I made the jump to the HD595 because in my readings they seem to put you "closer to the stage" whereas typical Sennheiser put you rows back and Grado put you on the stage...I guess I'll find out in due time.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Well comfort-wise, grados and hd280 are the only headphones that have problems. Mostly any other pair of good headphones has plenty of comfort.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm a huge Sennheiser fan myself, ever since trying out a friend's 590s. Planning on getting a set of 595s in the next 2 weeks. I've never heard Grados, but there is an adjustment period to any product, and I'm sure if you give the Sennheisers a fair chance they'll grow on you. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts