AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a reason headphone jacks seem to be unpopular on sets above 37"? Of the ones I'm looking at , only the TC-L42U12 has one, and that's a cheap set for that size. Sony and Samsung just have outputs for going into receivers, which I can see being desirable for HT setups, but it's inconvenient for someone who just wants the ability to watch without disturbing others. I can't imagine the headphone jack adds much to the cost, especially once the set gets above $1000, let alone into serious HT TV range, so why not just include one?

Do I need to resign myself to getting a receiver if I want to use headphones with a ~46" TV?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
From what I have seen, the better quality HD tv makers assume someone spending that much on a tv will more than likely have a separate sound system and all that goes with it, including headphone jacks in their receiver.

They spend very, very little on the speaker system on the tvs.

You can get an inexpensive stereo receiver and achieve what you want for less than $75 on craigslist.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/16956143

Just plug a headphone adapter into the audio outs.

The TVs I've been looking at have fixed stereo out, so unamplified, and no volume control. Otherwise, sure, I'd do that.

Yeah, CL has some receivers, but I'd really have preferred not to need another box sucking down power and heating up my condo. Guess I may have to do that though.

Thanks to both of you for the responses! I was hoping to find that I didn't need this, but oh well. Still seems like it would be an easy feature to add on a set.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
So buy phones with a volume control. Many companies make them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbear /forum/post/16958926

Or buy a cheap (or expensive) headphone amp.

That's what I would do if you aren't planing on using the receiver for anything besides being a headphone adapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts