AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the headphone out on receivers? I ask because alot of people with headphones get an amp/dac combo for the best quality for hard to drive headphones. I have an onkyo 605 does this receiver have the guts to drive high impedence phones with decent quality? I'm looking to buy a high impedence phone but not too keen on spending a ton on an amp/dac.

I asked at head-fi and they seem to not have any knowledge whatsoever of the components of a receiver.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
I would think receiver makers would not bother putting much into their headphone amp. A basic op amp output.

I don't know much about headphone impedance. I thought 32 ohms was the usual impedance. Are you looking into something a lot higher, like 600 ohms?

I read somewhere, that 600 ohm headphones can be driven with a line level output. I think the idea is that you have enough voltage. But I that's just one person's opinion. And I would think you need to build a box that applies sufficient resistance to lower the output to a usable level.

Maybe you could try your friend's headphone outputs to see how well they work, or goto an electronics store that actually has gear hooked up (unlike Best Buy.)

· Registered
30,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/16859809

I have an onkyo 605 does this receiver have the guts to drive high impedence phones with decent quality? I'm looking to buy a high impedence phone but not too keen on spending a ton on an amp/dac.

High impedance phones are, generall, easier to drive than low impedance ones.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
Don't they need high voltage, Kal? Can most headphone outs provide enough voltage?

· Registered
30,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16861684

Don't they need high voltage, Kal? Can most headphone outs provide enough voltage?

They do not need a higher voltage in my experience. Of course, low impedances generally demand higher current from the same voltage. OTOH, I ain't a real headphone guy.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
Neither am I, when it comes to home. At work I used an iPod and a Grado SR60.

I do feel headphone outputs can make a difference. I had a discman that really sounded great when kick drums would hit. None of my other players could duplicate those strong kick drum hits. I always wondered what caused that - slew rate related?

I really miss that discman with fondness, except that I played it way too loud

· Registered
12,453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepauly /forum/post/16859809

How is the headphone out on receivers? I ask because alot of people with headphones get an amp/dac combo for the best quality for hard to drive headphones. I have an onkyo 605 does this receiver have the guts to drive high impedence phones with decent quality? I'm looking to buy a high impedence phone but not too keen on spending a ton on an amp/dac.

I asked at head-fi and they seem to not have any knowledge whatsoever of the components of a receiver.

You need to find out the headphone out specs from Onkyo..

Many entry-level AVRs have significant difficulty driving high impedance headphones. In checking the Onkyo website no info is found for this spec..

So I would recommend that you take your high impedance headphone to an Onkyo dealer and try them out...

Just my $0.025...

· Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I should just give Onkyo a call? I don't have a high impedence phone right now but I do have an onkyo 605. The thing is I don't want to buy a headphone that needs alot of juice when I have no components with enough juice to drive it. There's a few I'm looking at that are from 250 ohm to 600 ohm, way higher than my current hp that is 32 ohm. A good headphone amp is anywhere from $150 - $400. I'd rather not spend that money if I don't have to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.