AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
What about using/hacking the Razer Tiamat 7.1 headset? Real surround instead of virtual. Theoretically, its inputs could be connected to a receiver's speaker outputs, true? If course, the speaker output for the subwoofer is going to be line-level, so add one extra channel of amplification.

This tosses out the concept of wireless, but I would rather have good surround through a cable than lame surround wirelessly.
Those multi driver headsets are vastly inferior to PRIR HRTF binaural convolution. and no more externalized than things like dolby headphone, atmos for headphones, dts headphone x, sennheiser gsx, creative cmss or sbx, and honestly those hrtf renderers work better than the 5 discrete drivers in one earcup. Think about all the reflections from all those drivers in the ear cup. Perhaps with significant dsp to the individual drivers it could work better, but they act as discrete channels and thats counter to how are ears work, 2 ears to locate sound sources. Take stereo headphones and move them forward on your head a bit, there's your front/left right drivers, move them back and there's your surround drivers, does it actually sound like speakers out in front of or behind you? nope. Angling the drivers and moving them forward does improve the waveform, however, which improves soundstaging and imaging(i.e. Sennheiser HD800), but it still doesn't do what binaural rendering does.

As far as hooking it up to an AVRs speaker outputs? I'm gonna go with no do not hook up 32ohm 20-40mm headphone drivers to speaker amplifiers. Maybe if your AVR has preouts for all channels this could work.

Its an interesting idea though ;]

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Great thread. I'm also looking into this very topic and will definitely try Out of Your Head and report back.
However, I wanted to point out another surround sound solution, Nahimic. The interesting part is that it also works with HDMI devices, for instance. The caveat, on the other hand, is that it can apparently be only enabled on MSI and soon Gigabyte motherboards and laptops.
Did you ever try OOYH and equalizing? The real time sound object radar in nahimic is pretty cool.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I asked the SXFI support team about home theater headphones, and got this response:

Is there a product in the works for those of who want to use headphones with our home theater systems during the times we have to keep the volume down?
On the Creative website, I only see the SXFI working from phone or PC inputs. I don’t see an option the will support output straight from our Dolby/DTS home theater AVR or Blu-ray player audio formats.

There are 2 SXFI products that are still in development stages that will address your direct needs and these 2 products were demoed in CES 2019.
1.The SXFI TV that will support multichannel audio which are Dolby encoded via HDMI.
2.The SXFI Theater headphones which works on wireless technology.
As these 2 products are still in development stages, you will not be able to find it on Creative.com.

I was unaware these were in the works. It looks like the SXFI TV is the one that most of us will want. A sneak peak is linked below:

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-sneak-peek-creative-sxfi-theater-headphones-and-creative-sxfi-tv

This may all be old news on this forum. I'm just posting because it is new for me.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Ah cool thanks for posting I hadn't heard about those yet, I'll add em to the op

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you're not using 4k it's not a problem. The issue with the 700ds is hdmi1.4 ports that cant pass full 4k hdr.
Is it possible to just use the optical connection on the 700ds and connect that to my TV? That way I can still watch 4k HDR on the TV while changing the audio setting to the 700ds via optical. That would then give me the DTS-HD MA and TrueHD while still enjoying the 4K HDR (I wouldn't use the HDMI1.4 ports at all then on the 700ds).

Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
If you're not using 4k it's not a problem. The issue with the 700ds is hdmi1.4 ports that cant pass full 4k hdr.
Is it possible to just use the optical connection on the 700ds and connect that to my TV? That way I can still watch 4k HDR on the TV while changing the audio setting to the 700ds via optical. That would then give me the DTS-HD MA and TrueHD while still enjoying the 4K HDR (I wouldn't use the HDMI1.4 ports at all then on the 700ds).

Does that make sense?

Thanks again for your help!
You can use optical but you'll be limited to 5.1 lossy dd/dts

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can use optical but you'll be limited to 5.1 lossy dd/dts
Dang. I guess Ill have to wait until someone releases the setup I'm looking for. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Live in a condo with a large 7.1.2 surround sound system and a Sony Oled. Cant open the sound up after 7PM thus Ive just started looking for headphones connected through my receiver to take care of after hours movie audio.A wired connection for my setup is the best way to go. I have no interest in gaming. After reading through this topic it looks like something is coming but nothing out there right now that will provide a simple headphone solution. If im wrong here please let me know. Thanks

Reactions: mavericks64

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Live in a condo with a large 7.1.2 surround sound system and a Sony Oled. Cant open the sound up after 7PM thus Ive just started looking for headphones connected through my receiver to take care of after hours movie audio.A wired connection for my setup is the best way to go. I have no interest in gaming. After reading through this topic it looks like something is coming but nothing out there right now that will provide a simple headphone solution. If im wrong here please let me know. Thanks
So...
Your AVR probably has a "virtual" setting for headphones, which is typically stereo crossfeed and reverb, which should provide a larger more out of the head experience but without surround sound.

There are a couple wireless headphones and external soundcards that can accept a dolby digital or dts 5.1 signal via optical, and have virtualization builtin. You may need to use an hdmi audio extractor if your avr doesnt have an optical output. These often arent the most externalized but have surround sound.

HTPC is the best for virtual surround, even a laptop. And it seems like its going to stay that way for some time as the Realiser A16 is expensive. If you find yourself wanting headphone surround sound regularly you may want to consider this.

You can also consider some tweaks to your surround system. Using something like Denons Dynamic Volume can really help control loudness while still providing a good surround experience. Isolating the subwoofers with sorbothane will prevent low frequencies from traveling out of the room. And using bass shakers(tactile transducers) will provide the rumble that you loose from isolating the subwoofers.

·
Registered
182 Posts
does the sony 700ds work with arc - my set up is as follows

4K sony TV HDR etc
xbox one x
PC for gaming and my ripped UHD's
SKY tv

I have a dennon x2200 atmos amp and a 7.1 speaker set up. all my devices including pc are run though my amp

however at night when my wife is sleeping i use headphones

I have a set of AD900's Audio Techna and a set of HD599 (both open backed)

I have netflix and amazon on my TV which i run through arc through my amp.

to get around the 4khdr limit on the sony will it take the arc audio from the TV or should i look elsewhere for a solution

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
does the sony 700ds work with arc - my set up is as follows

4K sony TV HDR etc
xbox one x
PC for gaming and my ripped UHD's
SKY tv

I have a dennon x2200 atmos amp and a 7.1 speaker set up. all my devices including pc are run though my amp

however at night when my wife is sleeping i use headphones

I have a set of AD900's Audio Techna and a set of HD599 (both open backed)

I have netflix and amazon on my TV which i run through arc through my amp.

to get around the 4khdr limit on the sony will it take the arc audio from the TV or should i look elsewhere for a solution
Use your PC!

The best software available for headphone surround sound is https://fongaudio.com/ and your AD900s and HD599s are the easiest headphones to equalize

The AD900s need a -15db peaking filter at 4khz, qfactor maybe 1 to 1.5
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHAD900.pdf
The HD599s need a -10-15db peaking filter at 3.5khz, qfactor 1.5 to 2.0, I'm pretty sure they have a similar response to the rest of the hd5xx hd6xx line
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

You'll set the audio to output from the player to OOYH, and then OOYH will send the audio to your AVR, which I take it is what you're plugging your headphones into at the moment? Don't have to buy anything, test OOYH and the EQ and see if you like it, I'm sure you'll be blown away.

https://fongaudio.com/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

And the attached image is what the filters in eqapo look like(dont use the ones in the image they're for a different pair of headphones)

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
cheers - tried the sampled sounds last night and was amazed how good they sound. Has anyone simply bought the cheaper game only version of the software as i have no interest in music - just movie and tv soundtracks etc

I assume the software will work with any media player on the PC - my choice is MPC-BE

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
cheers - tried the sampled sounds last night and was amazed how good they sound. Has anyone simply bought the cheaper game only version of the software as i have no interest in music - just movie and tv soundtracks etc

I assume the software will work with any media player on the PC - my choice is MPC-BE
The gaming preset doesn't use measured room impulse response of various rooms, so while it's effective, it doesn't sound as spacious and natural as the other presets, which are made using a Smyth Realiser A8, taking measurements of home theaters, movie theaters, recording studios, and hifi listening rooms. Another affordable option is Waves NX https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app

In any case don't forget to EQ your headphones as it will sound significantly better, less bright/piercing/sibilant, fuller bass, more spacious and natural.

I use mpc hc so yes any player will work.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The gaming preset doesn't use measured room impulse response of various rooms, so while it's effective, it doesn't sound as spacious and natural as the other presets, which are made using a Smyth Realiser A8, taking measurements of home theaters, movie theaters, recording studios, and hifi listening rooms. Another affordable option is Waves NX https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app

In any case don't forget to EQ your headphones as it will sound significantly better, less bright/piercing/sibilant, fuller bass, more spacious and natural.

I use mpc hc so yes any player will work.
CHEERS

now have to work out how to EQ my headphones

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
CHEERS

now have to work out how to EQ my headphones
As detailed in my previous post, it's very simple and any questions don't hesitate to ask, happy to help.

For the full license presets of OOYH, I'd recommend starting with the Genelec(Rs) preset and comparing that to the Gaming preset, it's a very treated space, while still getting the virtual speakers further out of your head(heh) and sounding much larger and fuller. I also like the Magico Q3(Mg) for a warmer bassier sound or the Cello(Ce) for a big room sound.
The Cello or the more reverberant rooms are especially fun for older movies like... Robocop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I cant seem to get this working with my PC and AV set up. When i install OOYH it apepars as a virtual sound card etc in my sound settings. However my output device is my dennon av amplifier which appears as its own output device (HDMI). My headphones are plugged into the amplifier (dennon).

therefore the Dennon is not using the OOYH sound card

I assume that with OOYH you are meant to plug headphones directly into my pc which in my set up is not possible.

I did manage to get the equalizer to work and that seems to work.

In the OOYH settings screen there are 3 output devices listed including the dennon but you cant select one and with the trial software it asks for a licence everytime you try to change a speaker preset.

Its odd as the audio files on their website certainly work

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I cant seem to get this working with my PC and AV set up. When i install OOYH it apepars as a virtual sound card etc in my sound settings. However my output device is my dennon av amplifier which appears as its own output device (HDMI). My headphones are plugged into the amplifier (dennon).

therefore the Dennon is not using the OOYH sound card

I assume that with OOYH you are meant to plug headphones directly into my pc which in my set up is not possible.

I did manage to get the equalizer to work and that seems to work.

In the OOYH settings screen there are 3 output devices listed including the dennon but you cant select one and with the trial software it asks for a licence everytime you try to change a speaker preset.

Its odd as the audio files on their website certainly work
In windows OOYH should be set as default sound device, your player is either set to default or OOYH, and OOYH is set to the Denon. That should work I have a Denon as well and can use it.

Before launching OOYH make sure the Denon is set as the default device, and it should automatically set OOYH as default when you launch the program.

The gaming preset has a 1 week unlimited trial and the full license presets are on a 2 minute timer, you can switch between them at any point under 2 minutes and you wont get the license alert.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Was poking around my brand-new XB1X today when I started tinkering with the Dolby Atmos app (for headphones).

How does one connect stereo headphones directly into an Xbox? Some kind of 3.5mm (1/8") USB/Optical adaptor?

Thanks!

41 - 60 of 178 Posts