AVS Forum banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
USB can do it, but you have to be careful.

HDMI and USB are the two interfaces that are able to carry multichannel audio without encoding. HDMI is generally preferred since practically every source of multichannel audio will provide it out via HDMI. USB will generally only be provided by a computer host - either a PC or game console. So a generic source like a streaming box or Blu-Ray player will not generally have USB support.

The thing with USB is that many headphones only do surround if attached to specific devices - this is because the headphones are actually just USB headphones handling 2 channel audio, and the magic is all in the drivers. There are a few that do have multichannel USB audio and do the Dolby headphone using some hardware in a box, but much more rare since everyone generally builds it into the drivers, which limits your options.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So for USB, it requires a cpu to work. I think Nintendo Wii U and Switch use USB headphones , and maybe PS3 too

The problem I have is I rely on the turtle Beach, which relies on DTS to Dolby translators. And since it's external, it must be pumped out via Toslink, which in LPCM can only do 2.0.

I've seen eBay devices which extract Dolby, DTS. and LPCM and convert them to 8 discrete RCA as well as maybe USB? is the main difference between lpcm and 8 discrete RCA's is that lpcm is just uncompressed but coded in one signal whereas ate RCA's are both uncoated and uncompressed, meaning you can plug a speaker in here an individual speakers sound on an RCA,. Which I did for Song of the South because a straight DVD recording has a center channel and a rear channel that's a mix of the English and Japanese.

If Dolby headphone supposedly works on eight separate RCA's,. Then somewhere there should be an 8 RCA to binaural Dolby headphone mixer somewhere. And knowing these Chinese parts, except providing a whole system like the Japanese you pay for the parts you want, don't for the ones you don't. So if I don't need communal speakers I could just avoid the avr and buy just the pieces I need.

But looking now on eBay looks like there's none to find. I'll try Dolby'd website next.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
is the main difference between lpcm and 8 discrete RCA's is that lpcm is just uncompressed but coded in one signal whereas ate RCA's are both uncoated and uncompressed, meaning you can plug a speaker in here an individual speakers sound on an RCA,.
Lpcm and usb/hdmi are digital, rca is analog.

If Dolby headphone supposedly works on eight separate RCA's,. Then somewhere there should be an 8 RCA to binaural Dolby headphone mixer somewhere.
Thats what the avr does, has all the inputs outputs and processing. What you're talking about is a multi channel analog input, multi channel analog to digital conversion, and then multichannel to binaural stereo processing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is the difference between Dolby (DTS is included for this conversation) and LPCM and 8 RCA if we were to use the music media example is that Dolby and DTS are like MP3s, encoded and compressed. meaning future seconds are based on differences from the immediate past , LPCM is like a CD where there are numbers, but the numbers represent a soundeave, is digital but uncoded. And 8 RCA is like Vinyl Records, uncompressed AND uncoded, just reproduced as a shurunken and blown up analsgous wave?

And does Dolby Headphone work on the it's digital coded stuff, the uncoded digital stuff, or the uncoded analog stuff? Does the Turtle Beach either do.all e steps in one machine, or is it direct Dolby 7 1 to Dolby Headphone?

If I look at an AVR in a Thrift Store, unless I look up the individual item model number, is there any way to tell which items have Dolby Headphone, which have other Binaural forms, and which have "straight stereo" in headphones?

Just checking.

Also is it true that the USB headphones have decoders built in and carry coded sound, or do they just tap the headphone post conversion?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Is the difference between Dolby (DTS is included for this conversation) and LPCM and 8 RCA if we were to use the music media example is that Dolby and DTS are like MP3s, encoded and compressed. meaning future seconds are based on differences from the immediate past , LPCM is like a CD where there are numbers, but the numbers represent a soundeave, is digital but uncoded. And 8 RCA is like Vinyl Records, uncompressed AND uncoded, just reproduced as a shurunken and blown up analsgous wave?
correct. dolby/dts/aac are encoded/compressed, lpcm/wav/flac are uncompressed. For analog vs digital audio signals, analog is voltage based on time where digital(pcm pulse code modulation) is based on the voltage being above or below a certain threshold(1 or 0). All digital audio signals have to be converted to analog for audio, there are no digital transducers.

And does Dolby Headphone work on the it's digital coded stuff, the uncoded digital stuff, or the uncoded analog stuff? Does the Turtle Beach either do.all e steps in one machine, or is it direct Dolby 7 1 to Dolby Headphone?
Dolby headphone only works with pcm(uncompressed digital). Whether it works with encoded signals depends entirely on the implementation if a decoder is used. In the case of the X40 if it decodes dolby and dts than it has the decoders built into the software/firmware.

If I look at an AVR in a Thrift Store, unless I look up the individual item model number, is there any way to tell which items have Dolby Headphone, which have other Binaural forms, and which have "straight stereo" in headphones?
Sadly you have to look unit by unit. typically in the manuals search for, "dolby headphone" ; "virtual" ; "silent cinema" ; " headphone surround".

Also is it true that the USB headphones have decoders built in and carry coded sound, or do they just tap the headphone post conversion?
Usb is pcm only, it cant transmit encoded audio, thats hdmi or optical toslink only. Usb headphones will have the digital interface(usb to a digital signal the dac can accept, spdif, aes/ebu, i2s, etc.), digital to analog conversion, and amplification circuits builtin.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If I look at an AVR in a Thrift Store, unless I look up the individual item model number, is there any way to tell which items have Dolby Headphone
I only know that Dolby Headphone was a feature in some of the top end receivers of yesteryear from brands HK and Marantz. There may have been others.

I did find this, which lists Marantz AVRs with Dolby Headphone:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/brief-guide-to-marantz-av-receivers-with-dolby-headphone-hdmi.674798/

·
Registered
66 Posts
Now I got a question about USB PCB. Is it 2 channel PCM, (if not, might as well have Toslink input) or is it 5.1 or 7.1?

If USB natively carries PCM 7.1, then in theory, surround headphone have the headphone decoding within the headset.

You have to select 7.1 PCM output via USB, then the headphones work.

And since Dolby and DTS is coded and is decoded as PCM 7.1, and the headphone adapter converts the decoded audio in headphone. Just set the machine to decide all to uncompressed or PCM S Surround or something similar.

My main 4k player does not have USB audio out. Is there a way you can extract the USB PCM audio out of a USB connection. There are some adapters on eBay i've seen with both 8 RCAs and USB out. How do I tell if the USB out port is power only or 7 1 PCM audio.

The Turtle Beach DAC just mixes USB audio and chat and outputs it via USB PCM 7.1

Which video game systems from the Xbox 360 and newer have USB PCM 7.1 audio? Now that I understand it, I'll get USB surround.

By the way are there USB surround to binaural 2 track via RCA L/R, 3.5 mm, etc, converters?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Now I got a question about USB PCB. Is it 2 channel PCM, (if not, might as well have Toslink input) or is it 5.1 or 7.1?
usb can transmit 7.1 pcm

My main 4k player does not have USB audio out. Is there a way you can extract the USB PCM audio out of a USB connection. There are some adapters on eBay i've seen with both 8 RCAs and USB out. How do I tell if the USB out port is power only or 7 1 PCM audio.

The Turtle Beach DAC just mixes USB audio and chat and outputs it via USB PCM 7.1

Which video game systems from the Xbox 360 and newer have USB PCM 7.1 audio? Now that I understand it, I'll get USB surround.

By the way are there USB surround to binaural 2 track via RCA L/R, 3.5 mm, etc, converters?
You're losin me on this chunk.

Whats the 4k player? Whats the turtle bach dac? whats the adapter youve seen on ebay?

I dont know that the xbox or something like a nvidia shield has multi channel audio over usb, usually its just 2.0, 7.1 usb is from a pc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 4k+3d player is a Sony UBP-800.

My Turtle Beach DAC is a digital to analog converter. It takes a USB A M in and has a USB AF out.

First would the Turtle Beach DAC do what I want.... Mix the USB 7.1 with chat? And then I can use USB Surround headsets with it.

Now if my Sony can't get US, I need someway to convert it to USB 7.1 Then does any 7.1 headphone work?

I've seen $10 USB 7.1 to 3.5mm chat and 3.5mm game audio. I could use that to split the game audio into the stream and on a different setup, to two wireless headphones via RCA L/R.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
My Turtle Beach DAC is a digital to analog converter. It takes a USB A M in and has a USB AF out.
what

First would the Turtle Beach DAC do what I want.... Mix the USB 7.1 with chat? And then I can use USB Surround headsets with it.
I have no idea, whats the model name, whats usb a m in and usb af out? a dac doesnt output usb...

Now if my Sony can't get US, I need someway to convert it to USB 7.1 Then does any 7.1 headphone work? I've seen $10 USB 7.1 to 3.5mm chat and 3.5mm game audio. I could use that to split the game audio into the stream and on a different setup, to two wireless headphones via RCA L/R.
Gotta link something...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking into virtual surround headphone solutions for watching movies/Netflix etc. through a Blu-Ray player (PS4) and native apps on my TV (LG C9), and I can't seem to find much that is (a) not extremely expensive (Smyth), (b) capable of taking HDMI (ARC and standard) input (Mobius), and (c) not discontinued (Sony HW700DS). Really the only thing I've found are these Sony L600 (https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/wh-l600/specifications), which seem like a considerable step down from the HW700DS (no TrueHD or even DD+ decoding by the looks of it). I would love to have good externalization and Atmos decoding, but at this point I'd take lossy 5.1 as long as the directionality is good, so these might be my best option apart from getting the HW700DS second-hand. Has anyone tried these?

More generally, I'm wondering why there are so few products that can fill this role. It seems like there are a lot of gaming headsets that perform some degree of surround virtualization, but not a lot that work with a typical home theater set up (i.e. take HDMI inputs and decode standard audio formats). Does anyone know of any new products coming out this year (or sometime soon) that will occupy this space? Seems to me like there would be a lot of demand for one.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #173 (Edited)
@skewlkid521 The Creative SXFI TV is the only thing Im aware of coming with lossless audio and virtual surround.

Aside from that another option for using a bdp/settop/tv involve using something like an astro mixamp or creative g6. These will accept lossy dolby sigital 5.1 via spdif toslink(optical) and output binaural stereo, which you can then use any headphones you want and/or send to a wireless transmitter. The added benefit of this setup is you can split the signal to a bass shaker system which will drastically improve immersion. Well i suppose you could do that with the encoded audio via optical but would need an additional decoder and dac before the amp and crossover for the shakers.

I wasnt aware of the l600s though so thats at least nice to add an hdmi capable device to the list. Digging deeper it can decode Dolby and dts but not lossless audio though. Sony uses proprietary hrtf binaural rendering so it should have some sort of true surround and not just some reverb.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Did anyone here get to try the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 2nd gen with the personalized spatial audio by Immerse (sounds akin to Creative SX-Fi on paper)?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Did anyone here get to try the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 2nd gen with the personalized spatial audio by Immerse (sounds akin to Creative SX-Fi on paper)?
I don't have any experience with it, but from what I gather, the ear photo should help in making the binaural rendering a bit more externalized and accurate, and since it's an all in one package, the software should be tuned to the drivers. It doesn't have the fidelity of in-ear microphone solutions, but looks like a decen package for gaming. Though I'm in the camp of the Mobius being a better option due to the superior transducers and the bluetooth 5.0/ldac capabilities. Very musical headphone, great for movies, great for games.

·
Registered
66 Posts
what

I have no idea, whats the model name, whats usb a m in and usb af out? a dac doesnt output usb...

Now if my Sony can't get US, I need someway to convert it to USB 7.1 Then does any 7.1 headphone work? I've seen $10 USB 7.1 to 3.5mm chat and 3.5mm game audio. I could use that to split the game audio into the stream and on a different setup, to two wireless headphones via RCA L/R.
Gotta link something...
Here's something:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333587754379

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223699104403

Also, a cheap way to do Wii U and Switch headphone surround:. Plug 3.5mn to Bluetooth transmitter on 3.5 headphone hole.

Nintendo invented headphone surround before Dolby had their headphone code.

But I don't know if the upstairs Blu Ray +3d+4k player has USB surround out. It's a Sony UBP-X800.

If no USB surround out? How do I listen to DTS movies? My current headphones only do Dolby digital to Dolby headphone.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts