AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry if this is the wrong location for this question, but you all have such great speaker knowledge, i thought you might be able to help with this. I have the 20 gig pc version and i was thinking of upgrading from these little plugs to something better. Does anyone have any recomendations?

thxs

·
Banned
172 Posts
The Sony over the ear headphones are very nice. I have a pair of MDR-v600, which is actually more sensitive than some of the cheaper headphones like the Sony street style ones. I also heard great things about the Sony DJ headphones. I am actually looking to sell my Sony's. So if you like, private message me.

You can also try the high end Sennheisers, 570, 590, these two models are pretty sensitive. However, if you want to use a portable unit with 580 or 600, which have the best sound, you need an external headphone amp.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'll second the Etymotics ER-6 recommendation. They sound terrific and they're great for listening in areas with high background noise.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I own the very same iPod, and have a lot of experience using it with Etymotics ER-4P headphones. I can recommend the combination, with a few caveats:

1. Make sure you get the ER-4P instead of the other models. The amp in the iPod isn't enough to do a good job with the -4S model.

2. On long plane trips the ear plugs can get a little uncomfortable.

3. You can't lay on your side with your head on a pillow. The phones stick out of the ear in such a way that this is uncomfortable.

They're also available on Ebay for $235, compared to the $330 list on etymotic.com.

And I'm thinking about going crazy on the next purchase... Anyone know anything about Ultimate Ears ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
don't get the sony v600, if you are going to get a pair of sony's go with the v6. they are not the same headphone yet people commonly mistake them as being the same. the v6 is a much better set of cans.

also, i have the sennheiser hd-280pro that work pretty well with my portable cd player. you may want to check those out. Or you can go to www.head-fi.com there is a forum all about headphones with thousands of threads.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you are looking for home-use headphones, I recommend the Sony MDR-F1.

It is an interesting design which they call Full Open Air -- they do not "cup" your ears. Rather, the drivers are suspended in the middle of the air, directed perpendicular to your ear canals. The design helps to produce highly neutral and accurate sound since it does not alter the acoustic property of your auricles; basically, they are extreme-near-field loudspeakers so to speak. They are solidly constructed in magnesium alloy yet extremely light weight (7 oz or so), and by far the most comfortable headphones I have ever tried; I can listen to music (including mp3's on my own iPod) for hours and hours without any fatigue or auricular pain. In fact, I often forget that I am wearing them and start to walk away, only to be reminded by the pulled wire! I am not a big fan of Sony products in general, but this one is a gem; I can highly recommend them, assuming that you do not need isolation from ambient noise (these provide zero isolation).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the input. Actually the headphones i need are for work (which is much less boring with music), so ideally they do not totally isolate sound, and are driveable with the existig power supply.

The Etymotics look very interesting, but i may end up ignoring people at work that I shouldn't (well maybe thats not such a bad thing :) ).

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by richardkaufmann
I own the very same iPod, and have a lot of experience using it with Etymotics ER-4P headphones. I can recommend the combination, with a few caveats:

1. Make sure you get the ER-4P instead of the other models. The amp in the iPod isn't enough to do a good job with the -4S model.

2. On long plane trips the ear plugs can get a little uncomfortable.

3. You can't lay on your side with your head on a pillow. The phones stick out of the ear in such a way that this is uncomfortable.

They're also available on Ebay for $235, compared to the $330 list on etymotic.com.

And I'm thinking about going crazy on the next purchase... Anyone know anything about Ultimate Ears ?
Richard, Your post has intrigued me. I am looking to replace my SD280's that I use on trips with my portable CD player. I was going to go with the Etymotics ER6 or the Sony in ear that are at CC for about $50.00, but was concerned they might get tiresome, and I still wouldn't be able to use a pillow comfortably anyway. I like the sound and comfort of the Senn's, but they are too bulky for travel. What about the Grado SR60's as a compromise?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I just checked out Ultmate Ears, but it appears that the frequency response of these phones look terrible. Like -12db at 16K. I'd stick with your Etys...

I haven't listened to them, so this is purely based on paper. They may sound great in person. In any event, let us know how they sound should you audition them.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
How about Sennheiser HD600? They're considered the best non-electrostatic headphones with a top notch construction. Sennheiser is a pure headphone/microphone company and they're the best in what they do.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I don't think the little ipod has enough juice to power the HD600, definitely need an external amp if it's going to be used with a portable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i again want t osay, stay awayfrom teh sony 600 it sounds horrible! teh v6/7506 is much better

i myself use senns and think that the 580 and 600 are great, but for portable use yo uwant want to try something more effieienct

i'm surprised no one has mentioned grados yet, the 60 model is great for portable use, and teh 80 is nicer if you have some eextra power like a small headphone amp all for under $100 (something like $60 and $80 respectively)

there is a downside to using grados, the great sound comes at teh price of having kind of rough ear pads, and these are superaural headphones meaning theysit on up of your ears as opposed to senns which are circumaural which go around giving you a bigger ear piece and comfortable use

go to headphone specific forums like headwize and you'll find people know are very knowledgable about headphones

the etymotics are great, BUT

you can use them while you're on teh go

why? because every time you're moving and the wire taps against your chest you hear it! like a stethoscope theyre amazing while you're standing still, but very annoying when you're even just walking

if you want isolation on teh go, and like the earphones style i'd recommend the sony nude ex71sp it is an updated ex70 with toned down highs and lows which gives it a more even response and sound pretty good for about $50

the sony 888's are great to but are too big to be comfortagble for most people

oh yes!

the sennheiser 497 is a great phone for portable use, its smaller, lighter and sounds great after breakin of at least 48 hours (headphones require break in for dramatic imrovement) but the frame is of light pastic and won't stand any kind of heavy weight on it if you toss it in a bookbag or something

the senn 490's and 495's are not as gooda st he 497's but are pretty good as well, especially for portable use

koss porta pros are popular as well, but i thin kteh grados are more worth it for the increase in price

EDIT: i jsut saw taht you need these for work so th issues with teh ety's sholdnt be a problem, but you ignoring people might!

the ety 6's offer much of teh 4p's performance for half teh price

·
Banned
172 Posts
Grados is definitely an acquired taste. People tend to describe the grados sound as very warm, so I suspect it is not as neutral as the Sennheisers. And the Grado headband is really tight, which makes it very uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

Sennheiser HD600 is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Funko, your typing is not so good but your advice is absolutely solid. ;)

I would just add this: The tapping effect from the wires with the ER-6 is supposedly not as bad as that from the ER-4's due to a thinner cord. I haven't noticed it at all with the ER-6, but then I don't jog with them either. I stopped jogging because the ice kept flying out of my cocktail.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I use a Stax system for classical music, but because they're a bit bass shy I think of Grado as the ultimate rock headphone. The cheapest ones have very good bass, but the more you spend the better it becomes. The headband is tight especially for big heads, but this is easily solved by stretching it out. Some people never get over pressure on the ears from the pads though. My ears have adjusted to this so I'm unaware of this type of pressure now, but it can take a while.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
why? because every time you're moving and the wire taps against your chest you hear it! like a stethoscope theyre amazing while you're standing still, but very annoying when you're even just walking
I own the ER-4P and totally agree. They are awesome headphones but the cable makes a lot of noise if you are moving around. However, I do my listening while at work (with the iPod) & they work well for that purpose. The iPod has plenty of juice to drive the 4P. With the 4S mod you may want to consider an external amp...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
has anyone used these Sennheiser HD600 with an IPOD? I'm thinking i'd need an extra amp, which would be kinda a pain (not to mention some type of connecting plug?)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the ER-6 and love them. I have used them with an I-pod before and they worked quite well. Check out the etymotic website for more info.

www.etymotic.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.