AVS Forum banner

Headphones with no sound leaking out, On budget.

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  m_vanmeter 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a pair of noise canceling headphones that will not let any sound out, in a dome/cup setup. I would be using it with my laptop, ipod and HT for long periods of time, so comfort is a concern. When I'm using it with my ipod I prefer to not let any sound out (at school or work), and I usually listen to music with the volume very loud, so I would not like to get the in-ear buds. Also the buds never fit in my ear properly and fall out when moving.

I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find any info to help me. Price is a factor but I would be willing to spend around 120ish for a really good pair. But the cheaper the better, closer to $70.

In review my major constraints are price, comfort, sound quality, but mainly not letting any sound out.

Is that what noise cancelling means(to not let sound out)? or is it to not let external sound in? or both?

Please help me decide.

See less See more
#2 ·
I doubt you will be able to fine any "closed back" headphones that do not leak sound at high volume levels. They will certainly be better at reducing the amount of sound heard by others with "open back" cans, but they will be heard. While not noise cancelling, Sennheiser HD280 headphones are comfortable closed back headphones that can be found at reasonable sale prices. The Audio Technica ATN-ANC7 noise cancelling headphones are closed back, but my son's do leak at high volume....that's when I throw a pillow at him to turn the volume down and save what is left of his hearing.

If you continually expose your ears to high volume music, headphones - speakers - or ear buds, you WILL lose the ability to hear certain frequencies later in life...it's a slow process, but ultimately the damage is cummulitive and ir-reversible.

#3 ·
vanmeter's comments and suggestions are good.

Also check out http://www.head-fi.org

it is "the" headphone forum.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcat23 /forum/post/15569064

I'm looking for a pair of noise canceling headphones that will not let any sound out, in a dome/cup setup. I would be using it with my laptop, ipod and HT for long periods of time, so comfort is a concern. When I'm using it with my ipod I prefer to not let any sound out (at school or work), and I usually listen to music with the volume very loud, so I would not like to get the in-ear buds. Also the buds never fit in my ear properly and fall out when moving.

I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find any info to help me. Price is a factor but I would be willing to spend around 120ish for a really good pair. But the cheaper the better, closer to $70.

In review my major constraints are price, comfort, sound quality, but mainly not letting any sound out.

Is that what noise cancelling means(to not let sound out)? or is it to not let external sound in? or both?

Please help me decide.

I've done quite some research on noise canceling (closed back) head-phones a 3-6 months ago. I agree with vanmeter. Also, I think that at that price range and your needs that you won't find better than the Audio Technica noise cancelling ones. I did however see reviews that it leaks sound. I know two co-workers that have that AT model and they both like it very much...especially for the price.

I ended up going with another model as I was going to be reimbursed for the purchase. If it was out of my own pocket, I'd go with the AT.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/15569773

I doubt you will be able to fine any "closed back" headphones that do not leak sound at high volume levels. They will certainly be better at reducing the amount of sound heard by others with "open back" cans, but they will be heard. While not noise cancelling, Sennheiser HD280 headphones are comfortable closed back headphones that can be found at reasonable sale prices. The Audio Technica ATN-ANC7 noise cancelling headphones are closed back, but my son's do leak at high volume....that's when I throw a pillow at him to turn the volume down and save what is left of his hearing.

If you continually expose your ears to high volume music, headphones - speakers - or ear buds, you WILL lose the ability to hear certain frequencies later in life...it's a slow process, but ultimately the damage is cummulitive and ir-reversible.

Thanks for the suggestions to all. I will definitely check out the Audio Technica ATN-ANC7. How are the Sennheiser Noise cancelling headphones in comparison to those?

I thought that closed back can headphones at high volume will not damage your hearing, I have heard this from 2 different doctors (once myself, after my cousin told me his doctor told him that). They also said that ear-buds @ high volumes can and will damage your hearing over time.

#6 ·
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD280s. They're not noise-canceling but they're of the closed-type. I believe I bought them for around $80 a few years back.

#7 ·
"fatcat23"....I can only guess the "doctors" got their degrees and licence to practice from cereal boxes. ANY lond noise, over a prolonged period of time, will damage your hearing. Music, traffic, machinery, ANYTHING. You will lose complete chunks of spectrum in your ability to hear and you may be subject to "tinnitus" (continuous ringing or buzzing in one or both ears) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Hearing loss can take a long period of time to fully develop, it slowly destroys the nerves in your ear that translate sound to the brain. Once damaged, the effect is permanent.....most people don't even notice the loss until it is so pronounced people are fussing at you for talking too loud, playing the TV too loud, and not understanding most conversations.....at that point you are partially deaf, and it will continue to get worse.

Please protect you hearing, it is too important to lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.