AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Blockbuster has a $9.99 deal, rent it, if you like it, buy it for $9.99.

·
Registered
298 Posts
You have to rent it first and then have an option to buy it for $9.99. So you are ending up paying more like $14.95 for it. They do not offer unopened packages as far as I know but this may vary from store to store. Quite honestly I'd much rather pay a couple bucks more and buy it unopened. My wife got the same 2 dvd deal from Best Buy so we paid $15.95 each.

-MarcW

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to blockbuster.com and found the details:

Rent It! Like It! Buy It!

Price excludes tax. When you rent a select promotional title (titles determined by Blockbuster) on DVD at this store location, you can purchase one (1) previously rented DVD copy of the same title for just $9.99 plus tax! Both the rental and purchase must occur at this store location. The original receipt (no copies) showing the rental of the promotional title must be presented at time of purchase to receive the promotional price and promotional price only applies to a purchase on the same BLOCKBUSTER® membership account as the rental. This offer is not transferable. Promotional price can not be combined with any other discount or offer. Promotional price cannot be applied to any other title. Previously rented copies are limited in quantity and only available while supplies last. There may be a substantial delay between the release of a title and its availability as previously rented product. Membership rules apply for rental. Offer valid for a limited time. See receipt for applicable rental promotion dates and expiration date of promotional price.

------------End Citation---------------

IIRC, Blockbuster was going to a "Pan and Scan only" policy, so good luck finding a WS version to rent. It looks like they will only sell you a used one ("previously viewed").

The website does list the WS version, but I don't know what the ratio of P&S vs WS is in the Blockbuster retail brick and mortar channel.

I haven't been to a Blockbuster in years, so I don't know what the rental price is, either.

Still, sounds like a good deal if you can get a scratch-free, complete in box used WS version...

·
Registered
309 Posts
BB charges 2.99 for rentals now so that makes 12.98 for a used copy of HP. I rented it, watched it twice, loved it, so now I don't mind waiting to get the used copy for 9.99. Circuit City has HP for 15.99 and you don't have to buy two.

cheers!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmer Man
BB charges 2.99 for rentals now so that makes 12.98 for a used copy of HP. I rented it, watched it twice, loved it, so now I don't mind waiting to get the used copy for 9.99. Circuit City has HP for 15.99 and you don't have to buy two.

cheers!
I bought mine at CC for that price. Just make sure to get the widescreen version. I brain farted and picked up the P&S version and didn't notice till I got all the way home and had to turn around and go all the way back. I hate P&S!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well I'm sure that my local Blockbuster charges more than $2.99 for a new release DVD. It always comes to a little over 4 bucks including tax.

-MarcW

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Well I'm sure that my local Blockbuster charges more than $2.99 for a new release DVD. It always comes to a little over 4 bucks including tax"

That was one of my main beefs with Hollywood Video - not only did I have to fight traffic, potholes and give the middle east more gas money to get a freaking movie, then wait in a short line for 5-10 minutes while the boob behind the counter did god-know-what, then I had to pay $4.03 (or $3.03 its been so long I don't remember). Whatever, their penny jar was usually empty so you walk out with a crappy movie and $0.97 in change. Netflix, you didn't have to try very hard to gain my patronage!

·
Registered
758 Posts
FYI, Target has the Harry Potter DVD for $15.99 and there are no special conditions to get that price (i.e. buy 2, rent first, eat a worm, etc..).

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard about the $15.99 Target and Circuit City prices, but my brother in law told me he tried to find them yesterday at these palces, and all they had was Pan&Scan left :(.

Best Buy will probably sell you *one* for $15.99, since they price match.

Come to think of it, I'm not 100% certain that Best Buy requires the dual purchase- the drone at the checkout register said so, but they can, ahem, be wrong. ;) The register computer brought up $16.99 first for each DVD, then automatically made the price $15.99 when she presses "total".

·
Registered
309 Posts
At BB it was only supposed to be a temporary price reduction on all new releases but its been going on for the last couple of months! :cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I too took advantage of the Target special for Harry Potter DVD

( Widescreen thankyou) and bought it for $15.99 with a coupon on the outside of the DVD jacket for $3.00 off a 12 - pack of Coke Product. So virtually I got a 12 pack of Diet Cokes for free for buying HP for $16.00!!! Not bad! :D

Regards,

Troy

BTW, I've been a registered member on this forum for several years but I forgot my pass and login and couldn't never get a reply back for remembering them so I just re-registered today!! Good to be back on !

·
Registered
943 Posts
Walmart and Sam's both have Harry Potter for $15.88.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sheesh! I wasn't aware the going rate was so low now- who needs to wait for used anymore?

Does Wal-Mart do these deals on most new releases?

If they do Lord of the Rings at $15.88, this is getting too good :).

I remember the deep dark days of 1998-2000, when I was giddy with kencranes.com prices of $18.99-20.99 for new DVD releases.

Yeah, we've got it pretty good (just don't tell the studios) :D...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.