AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be in HD and it is the director's cut. Set you recorders and grab this fine film. 4 AM, Monday morning.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
oh oh oh i so wish i was out of the hospital, so i could record this :( :( but thanks for the heads up!!!!!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Watched 5 minutes of this while getting ready this morning. It's a 1.78:1 transfer, but since it was shot Super35, it is likely opened up from the 2.35:1 framing. The picture was sharper than Jackson's FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING in HD.

When I get home this evening I will do a comparison to the DVD to confirm open matted or cropped.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just spent some time comparing it to the DVD. The transfer was definitely the same time as the 2.35:1 version. It is open matted, so nothing is cropped. There is equal new picture at both the top and the bottom of the frame for most shots, though sometimes more at the top.

Detail is high, colors are richer than on the DVD, but there is still edge enhancement. You can see it around the black robes worn at schools. Keep in mind the EE on the DVD is thicker.

This is a keeper.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
thanks for the review matt. sounds good. ee is bad why don't they get this. i find even alot of people with small sets don't like it, they just don't know what it is called. i just don't get it, never have even on my 20 inch tv

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looked like the uncut version to me. But I didn't watch it all, so maybe I am wrong. The running time listed on the website was the running time for the director's cut. But I checked weeks ago, so maybe they updated it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.