AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it with Columbia!!!!!!! I bought ALL of the superbits DVD's (including my favorite of the bunch-Johnny Mnemonic--Yippee!!).

BUT much to my shagrin- they did not put a Pan and Scan version on the disc!!! What gives?? ?Now i have to watch them with black bars on the screen. How annoying.

So- like other columbia tristar DVD's, i flipped the disc over and hoped that the pan and scan version was on the other side!!! Boy- was i wrong- my DVD player started making a weird scratching noise..

So i took them back to BEst Buy. For some reason- they wouldnt return them. So i threw them at the clerk- and told him to watch these movies with the annoying black bars. See how he likes it.

This is just a heads up- so you all are not duped either. :confused:

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
The SuperBit DVDs are targeted towards *videophiles*, most of whom consider P&S to an abomination of nature and wouldn't buy them if they were provided. So it makes perfect sense not to provide P&S versions of them. I think that if you read the box before you bought them, you'd have noticed this.

And, given that the point of these DVDs is to provide maximum bit rate, having multiple versions on the same disk would be counter productive, unless they made them two sided. But, there again, why would they because they are targeted towards people who would rather cough up a hair ball and die than watch a P&S film, and I count myself among them.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's called a "troll" and it's inappropriate on a forum of this quality.

In a nutshell, the troll posts an inflamatory, and wildly inaccurate, message just to see how many people respond to correct them. They consider this some sort of victory, though it's impossible to see why. The end result is more a cynical view of the forum, and makes people less likely to post. It's witless, childish and stupid.

The only other possibility is that he was serious...and that's to horrible to even consider.

·
Premium Member
16,979 Posts
Do a search using his name and read his other posts. Maybe theres something in previous posts that would give us some clues as to wether he is a 4x3 fan or not.

But yes if he indeed bought these expecting to watch them in 4x3 he did not do his homework and deserved what he got .

He should also be embarrassed for himself to even post this info to the forum! It shows his stupidity!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, really, brunsiv

............ don't give up your day job for the comedy club circuit.

could't find humor in that with a vise.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Just as the rest of us find no humor in dubbing a foreign film. Brunsiv was using parody to illustrate a point.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...threadid=86327

There are many ways of making a point, this is just one.

Quote:
He should also be embarrassed for himself to even post this info to the forum! It shows his stupidity!
Very good point. It's very amusing how the dub post and the pan & scan complaint post mirror each other. Widescreen folks (of which I am one) are more likely to just outright blast someone for tinkering with the frame, but apparently (some) will put up with dubbing of the audio that wasn't originally intended and insist on OAR. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright, alright everyone lets calm down for a minute.

Breathe...

Ok- is everyone with me???

I wasnt trying to BE FUNNY. Or as Chris Williams puts it, "a troll." The point of satire or sarcasm is to emulate a REAL problem. I guess any form of humor on this site is not allowed- or as many of you put it- inappropriate.

I do work for a MAJOR home electronic company- and do oversee the DVD software portion of that store. My original post was one of sarcasm- directed at people (especially) customers of mine who i educate about the format everyday.

These are people who do not understand the technology and its capabilities like all of us.

I posted the thread in response (or satirize) the thread that Joekun links dealing with the dubbing of foreign language films. (if you dont believe me:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...&threadid=86327

and read my post in defense of maintaining the orignal language track on discs. I think the P&S issue is a hybrid of that problem- preserving the purity of the film itself.

Widescreen= true intent and beauty of the film (same goes for the audio)

Oh- and if the way we debate with dissenters in the forum is by calling them names- well- thats just weak.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh- and one more thing:

Chris Williams-

What are you talking about????? The person i described in the post- emualtes the average DVD customer. I deal with them on a day to day basis. I listen to them complain about the fact that they hate widescreen because they dont have a widescreen TV. I dont GET A VICTORIOUS FEELING by POSTING INFLAMMATORY ITEMS. In the Forum enviornment- we should be allowed to discuss all aspects of the format and how we overcome these P&S obstacles by educating the ignorant masses. When i explain to customers what they gain from WS- i rarely have people refuse to buy it. This forum sometimes talks down to those people instead of finding ways to educate them. I assure- i have no bad intentions.

And MR. Gouger the same goes for you. People who dont understand the format are not STUPID. I agree with the fact that people NEED to read the packaging to understand the contents of the disc- if they dont- then tough luck.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I followed that "No English Dub on CTHD" thread, and knew immediately that this one was satire. No need to beat "brunsiv" over the head with a mallet. Jeesh--humor is and isn't universal, but going by the responses here, sarcasm definitely isn't! :cool:

Brunsiv: Perhaps you should have used some wink and grin emoticons (;) and :D)in your original post?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
brunsiv

I thought your post was funny... after i figured out it was a humor thing :)

I can see how people may have a hard time seeing it was intended as such, i had the same problem for a bit. It would've been better probably if you'd given at least SOME indication somewhere in your original post that it was meant as humor.

But it's also interesting to see how people react to this kind of posts. If anything, it's a nice experiment where we as forum members are put to the test to see how tolerant we are :)

So with that - **hands chocolate chip cookies out to all people here to make 'm all feel like a big happy family again** ;)

Gertjan

PS - i feel for you for having to deal with people who are like that in real life :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I found it funny as hell. The fact that there are probably really people who try to flip one of the superbit titles over looking for a P&S version, ALTHOUGH they have a red label on one side, makes me rolling on the floor. Probably more scary than it is funny, though. :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey gertjan---thanks--:)

and

Bjoern Roy-

Thanks to you--your IN DEPTH analysis on several discs (re: The Fifth Element, Air Force One)- were extremely helpful in educating me on the potential of the superbits discs and just what the difference was. I took your knowledge and educated several of my customers... (no joke)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.