AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my copy of the UK version of Pans Labyrinth. The special features don't work on my PS3 with current firmware. The picture looks fantastic though, and I have the US version also which pretty much covers most of the special features of the UK edition. I just wanted to give the heads up to PS3 owners looking to import this movie.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uk version has a better transfer, the North American version has noise reduction to reduce the film grain. Unfortunately, it also removed a fair amount of detail from the picture (there is a thread in the HDDVD software section that has comparison shots.)

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Are the special features encoded in PAL format ? I should be receiving my U.K copy today or tomorrow from amazon.co.uk. Anyways I only care about the main feature. I just can't accept DNR on HDM when the features are available on my HDTV.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I received my UK copy yesterday and the special features refused to play. This may be due to the encoding of extras @576i/p using PAL.

I think both the player and the HDTV needs to support PAL to play the PAL formatted extras.

Besides this the PQ is miles ahead of the DNR-ed waxy U.S version in all aspects including black levels.

The bit rates vary from 16-37 Mpbs. The audio is 640 Kbps DD+.

U.K version review is here.

http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php...diareview=9115

*US -release has DTS-HD Master 7.1-track and good selection of extras. Also note the "Video commentary", which is not found on the standard DVD release.

*UK -release is missing "Lossless" audio and some extras from the US-release ("The Charlie Rose Show" and "Photo galleries"), but it has exclusive 30-min interview and "The Melody Echoes the Fairy Tale"-featurette and EXCELLENT PICTURE QUALITY.

#

Commentaries:

Audio commentary with director/writer Guillermo del Toro

#

Extras:

"Video Prologue (introduction) by director/writer Guillermo del Toro" -featurette

"Guardian Interview at the NFT with director/writer Guillermo del Toro" -featurette (30 min)

"The Power Of Myth" -featurette (14 min)

"Pan and The Fairies (El Fauno y Las Hadas)" -featurette

"The Color and the Shape" -featurette (4 min)

"Mercedes Lullaby" -featurette

DVD Comics (animated plates present prequel stories) for:

-The Giant Toad

-The Fairies

-Pan

-The Pale Man

"Director's Notebook" interactive feature (video pods):

-Lost Character: El Hombre de Madera

-Torture of The Maquis

-The Phases of the Moon

-Iconography: Echo... Echo..

-The Underground Kingdom: Miniature Construction

-The Mill: Set Design

"Multi-Angle Storyboard - Thumbnail Compares": 4 scenes

"VFX Plate Compare":

-Guillermo Del Toro and The Green Fairy

"The Melody Echoes the Fairy Tale" -featurette

Poster Gallery

Theatrical trailer

#

Subtitles:

English (optional)

#

Aspect Ratio:

1.78:1

#

Picture Format:

1080p 24fps

#

Soundtrack(s):

Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1

Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 surround

#

Case type:

Amaray (Keep) Case

Notes:

Using VC-1 compression.

ALL REGION

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Hey guys. Is the UK version I want (non-DNR) the one listed as ASIN: B000UYBP0K on amazon.co.uk?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts