AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I have hand problems that make long typing difficult & decided to get 'Nuance Dragon'. I have been doing research and was looking for nice headset I could use for it & some light gaming. At the moment, I have no budget because this is for long term use. Do try to be reasonable though! $300-350.. If it's more, you can still put it up.

Things I consider:
-Budget is open for change, maybe up to $350.. More is possibility
-MUST be circumaural for comfort!
-I prefer open. I want to hear my voice when I talk so I don't end up shouting like a madman while gaming or doing some work. I also don't want my ears all sweaty from lack of air, and I often watch TV with my headphones on..
-Either wired or wireless is fine.. Personally I like wireless, and if it is, I am hoping for 8+ hours of battery before recharge
-If it is boom mic, it must be small and not one that covers huge chunk of your face (one recommendation was Antlion Modmic)

1) Was wondering if there are any boomless headsets like the 'Turtle Beach i60'? I saw 'Sony Playstation Gold Wireless', 'Sony Pulse Elite'.. I am iffy about build quality of the Sony ones & the Pulse Elite lasts only 4 hours before recharge (PS Gold ~7 hours). The i60 is 10 hours & has dual-band bluetooth/RF so I like that (sadly it is closed-back). Any other boomless headset out there? I like boomless mic that are not in your face. I get irritated by in-your-face mics that I have had over the years for long term use.

2) Lapel mics are a possibility, but I feel that instead of putting on multiple things daily, a headset might be better option. You can still recommend lapel mics if you wanted to.

So far, only Turtle Beach i60 fills all of my requirements except that it is closed-back. Hoping there are other choices out there I can compare it to.. I have asked many people, but not much luck thus far.

I am coming from old-styled DT880 that I bought used many years ago and been using since.. It has to be 20 years old, and I have had it 6 of those.. Still going strong :eek:

Thanks!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello!

So I have hand problems that make long typing difficult & decided to get 'Nuance Dragon'. I have been doing research and was looking for nice headset I could use for it & some light gaming. At the moment, I have no budget because this is for long term use. Do try to be reasonable though! $300-350.. If it's more, you can still put it up.

Things I consider:
-Budget is open for change, maybe up to $350.. More is possibility
-MUST be circumaural for comfort!
-I prefer open. I want to hear my voice when I talk so I don't end up shouting like a madman while gaming or doing some work. I also don't want my ears all sweaty from lack of air, and I often watch TV with my headphones on..
-Either wired or wireless is fine.. Personally I like wireless, and if it is, I am hoping for 8+ hours of battery before recharge
-If it is boom mic, it must be small and not one that covers huge chunk of your face (one recommendation was Antlion Modmic)

1) Was wondering if there are any boomless headsets like the 'Turtle Beach i60'? I saw 'Sony Playstation Gold Wireless', 'Sony Pulse Elite'.. I am iffy about build quality of the Sony ones & the Pulse Elite lasts only 4 hours before recharge (PS Gold ~7 hours). The i60 is 10 hours & has dual-band bluetooth/RF so I like that (sadly it is closed-back). Any other boomless headset out there? I like boomless mic that are not in your face. I get irritated by in-your-face mics that I have had over the years for long term use.

2) Lapel mics are a possibility, but I feel that instead of putting on multiple things daily, a headset might be better option. You can still recommend lapel mics if you wanted to.

So far, only Turtle Beach i60 fills all of my requirements except that it is closed-back. Hoping there are other choices out there I can compare it to.. I have asked many people, but not much luck thus far.

I am coming from old-styled DT880 that I bought used many years ago and been using since.. It has to be 20 years old, and I have had it 6 of those.. Still going strong :eek:

Thanks!
Did you look into the Astro A50? Do you have an audio card or using onboard audio?
I have the A40 which is the wired version, it's closed back but comes with amp. It works pretty good for gaming with virtual surround.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you look into the Astro A50? Do you have an audio card or using onboard audio?
I have the A40 which is the wired version, it's closed back but comes with amp. It works pretty good for gaming with virtual surround.
Yeah, I did look at A50. I use onboard audio.

I like open back because I have TV next to my PC. I don't like to take headphones off everytime to watch TV and put them on to listen to music.. Open back would eliminate that issue

Btw, I came across.. (I can't link them because I need 5 posts minimum)
Plantronics BackBeat PRO - these have something called adjustable OpenMIC feature that can make them somewhat open-back by letting external sound in
Koss BT540i --- I think these are closed back.. I asked yesterday on amazon community, nothing yet.. I tried calling Koss but they're closed until Monday so will see tomorrow
PSB M4U 2 --- not wireless but I don't mind.. For this price though, I'd rather buy Astro A50 that would be $100 less AND wireless

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Open headphones have a bigger soundstage, which is considered by most to be a big plus for gaming. See this gaming guide and its reviews for some very good open headphones and note how the Astro headphones are rated in comparison (not too great). Some of the headphones in that guide may be difficult to drive and require a headphone amp or internal sound card. Be sure to research your choice in that regard before buying.

A Mod Mic can be added to a regular headphone: http://www.modmic.com/.

If you want an inexpensive gaming headphone, look into the Kingston HyperX Cloud.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.