Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any hope???

Nuff said

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have wondered the same thing. Seems like with the right Doc they should be able to fine tune it to what a persons hearing is lacking. But that's just a guess.

Wild concept / idea .... What if you could get hearing aid just for music. Something that could use improve your hearing for music listening ... even if you did not need it for everyday use!

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
I have had several friends who have gone to an audiologist and had custom hearing protection made. The best ones are pretty pricey (like ~$600 for a custom pair of active buds).

A number of inexpensive plugs claim to be suitable for music and to attenuate equally across the frequency band. My limited experience has not shown that claim to be true for me.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
i'm afraid to get a hearing test for fear of what i might find out...

music seems to still sound fine...but during conversation i've begun to utter "excuse me?" and "i'm sorry?" and the ever popular..."what?"

...and my ears ringing occasionally can't be a good sign

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24557890

music seems to still sound fine...but during conversation i've begun to utter "excuse me?" and "i'm sorry?" and the ever popular..."what?"

Sounds all too familiar
Getting old is an adventure!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24557890

Well you could try this. With a good pair of headphones it's pretty accurate www.myhearingtest.net

I have the audiogram from my last test and it's pretty damn close

Reactions: lefthandluke

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24559981

^^^^^

cool, thanks...

gonna give this a try when I get home...

So how did you test out? Anyone else try it?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24565839

So how did you test out? Anyone else try it?

pretty cool test...

and results were about what i expected...

normal hearing up to and including 1k

mild hearing loss at 2k and 4k

moderate hearing loss at 8k

normal for a 59yr old male?...dunno

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24558150

Quote:

Well you could try this. With a good pair of headphones it's pretty accurate www.myhearingtest.net

I have the audiogram from my last test and it's pretty damn close

Define good pair of headphones?

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A quiet room and any over the ear headphones. If you paid more then $50.00 for them it's overkill.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24566581

Sony MDR 7506

Sennheiser HD 280

Audio Technica ATH-M50

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24571322

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1525407/hearing-aids-and-the-audiophile#post_24566581

Sony MDR 7506

Sennheiser HD 280

Audio Technica ATH-M50

I have an old pair of Denon AH-D210s with disintegrated plastic foam covers.
Plus various earbuds that came with phones, ipods, etc and a batch of Sennheiser sport buds/phones I picked up for a song. Denon's probably still the best of the bunch although they don't seal noise out as well as they used to....

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was hoping more people with bad hearing would chime in. I'm curious if those with hearing aids ever got used to them and say that things sound normal to them after getting used to them.

I tried a pair at the audiologist and they sounded tinney to me.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
There is a huge range of hearing aides, in price and performance, and as usual highest price does not always mean the best performance. Go back and try some other ones, or try a different audiologist. A lot of models, these days all the mid-range ones up, include processing that will tailor the device to your hearing. Tell them you want full-range, or as close as you can get, and not optimized for just vocal response as most are by default. That said, it will not be the same as without them in your ears, but should be like listening to a good pair of headphones plus you'll get the tactile feel from having the speakers playing.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My father is essentially deaf without his hearing aids - a genetic bone density problem of some sort. I researched hearing aids for him a number of years ago. I was surprised to hear that, at that time anyway, the overwhelming concensus was that more traditional analog hearing aids offered better sound quality at the expense of being bigger, wrapping around your ear. Maybe digital has improved since then. But, even at that time, his doctor either insisted he needed digital or analog had become so scarce, the doctor no longer dealt with any distributors. He's used nothing but digital for many years, despite constant problems - seems like as soon as he gets one back from repair, he's sending it back or the other off within a month or two at the most. He's never been able to hear better with digital hearing aids. He didn't like them at all when he first switched in fact, but he stuck with them anyway for whatever reason - probably because they were so expensive, he couldn't afford not to. Whether they've improved substantially, I have no idea.

Whether digital aids are still as much to blame as they once were, or it's due to further degeneration of his hearing from getting older, he's never been able to hear worse than he can now. I've been looking for a solution to help him understand TV better myself. With so many shows broadcast in 5.1 these days, it's too much information for his hearing to process, so half the time he can't understand what's said. A soundbar didn't help, despite all the voice enhancements if features, which I suspect is due to the tiny speakers over enhancing the upper range, which seems worse. Of course I had to disable the subwoofer, as that made it worse for him too. Currently I've got my old Denon 3808 AVR set up with a couple old Pioneer full range speakers with Audyssey calibrated with a deliberate bias around his chair. I think the Denon does a much better job of converting 6-channel audio to 2-channel, and it sounds the best his TV ever has, better than their old 50" RPTV made back when they still had the room to use decent speakers in TVs and which he always liked the sound from, but he still doesn't like it and I'm told he curses me every time he can't figure out how to turn it on. Of course it doesn't help that he's had a few by the time he retires to the living room.

Yamaha seems to be especially good at voice enhancment, so I might try selling the Denon and replacing it with a Yamaha. But I have little hope it do any good. If only they made something that would get rid of most everything but dialogue from 6-channel surround feeds...

·
Registered
17 Posts
My father is essentially deaf without his hearing aids - a genetic bone density problem of some sort. I researched hearing aids for him a number of years ago. I was surprised to hear that, at that time anyway, the overwhelming concensus was that more traditional analog hearing aids offered better sound quality at the expense of being bigger, wrapping around your ear. Maybe digital has improved since then. But, even at that time, his doctor either insisted he needed digital or analog had become so scarce, the doctor no longer dealt with any distributors. He's used nothing but digital for many years, despite constant problems - seems like as soon as he gets one back from repair, he's sending it back or the other off within a month or two at the most. He's never been able to hear better with digital hearing aids. He didn't like them at all when he first switched in fact, but he stuck with them anyway for whatever reason - probably because they were so expensive, he couldn't afford not to. Whether they've improved substantially, I have no idea.

Whether digital aids are still as much to blame as they once were, or it's due to further degeneration of his hearing from getting older, he's never been able to hear worse than he can now. I've been looking for a solution to help him understand TV better myself. With so many shows broadcast in 5.1 these days, it's too much information for his hearing to process, so half the time he can't understand what's said. A soundbar didn't help, despite all the voice enhancements if features, which I suspect is due to the tiny speakers over enhancing the upper range, which seems worse. Of course I had to disable the subwoofer, as that made it worse for him too. Currently I've got my old Denon 3808 AVR set up with a couple old Pioneer full range speakers with Audyssey calibrated with a deliberate bias around his chair. I think the Denon does a much better job of converting 6-channel audio to 2-channel, and it sounds the best his TV ever has, better than their old 50" RPTV made back when they still had the room to use decent speakers in TVs and which he always liked the sound from, but he still doesn't like it and I'm told he curses me every time he can't figure out how to turn it on. Of course it doesn't help that he's had a few by the time he retires to the living room.

Yamaha seems to be especially good at voice enhancment, so I might try selling the Denon and replacing it with a Yamaha. But I have little hope it do any good. If only they made something that would get rid of most everything but dialogue from 6-channel surround feeds...
Just found this old thread.

Digital hearing aids are getting better and better, just like any digital electronics.

Of course, within the same manufacturer, more expensive instruments are going to give you better sound, everything being equal.

It's very common now for hearing aids to have multiple settings for different situations. For music, there is a program that can be implemented that defeats compression and gives better sound. Normal programming favors intelligibility of speech, for obvious reasons.

In years ahead there will be increasing convergence between audio processing for assistive purposes and mainstream audio processing.

I just got hearing aids yesterday from Oticon that come with an optional bluetooth streaming box and another device to stream from your TV or receiver. I've not gotten the receiver to work yet (different thread), but the idea is similar to using headphones.

Don't forget close captioning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts