AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading just about every post in this forum these past several weeks, I convinced my wife that Plazma technology was the "leading edge" and since we're in our early 60's we needed to spend some of the kids inheritance now and give ourselves a Christmas present that we could never afford when we were younger. I decide on the Pio 503CMX and it sure didn't hurt to read all of the price shopping activity comments that were on here. I eventually figured $4,999 was unrealistic and hoped to wind up in the $ 5,800 ballpark. My spose was very supportive as long as I kept under $6,000.

For the past several days I've been doing my thing with Dell and amazingly today I got a deal for $5,300 total including the Video card and extended warranty. Yes believe it . . .it's a real deal!!

Unknownst to me, my wife was out looking around today at the Pio cause she wanted to see the PQ when it was hooked up to a DISH/Direct TV receiver (95% of her viewing) She went to 4 different stores; CC,BB and 2 large HT stores in our area and it wasn't pretty.

She came home tonight and wouldn't stop compalining about how bad the picture looked at every store and nothing I said could ease her concerns. I even had her read several posts here about this issue but it hasn't convinced her that she won't have to give up the outstanding digital PQ she's now enjoying with the DISH on our 32" Toshiba CRT.

So, ... after all this, I'll probably have no choive but to utilize my 30 day cancellation option and call them tomorror and cancel. If anyone has any suggestions on how I can save this deal short of a divorce let me know

Thanks All . . .This is a great forum, even for us "over the hill" folks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You get 30 days from delivery date to return it, don't you? Get it home, set it up and tweak the settings. You'll both get to see it together. If she's not convinced when it's in your own home, then you return it...

·
Registered
388 Posts
No, NO! That deal is too good to pass up. You need to say that stores, especially CC/BB type stores have it poorly set up: bright environment, uncalibrated sets, badly distributed signal, inferior cables. Then point out that it's almost a consensus that plasmas are superior to CRTs, and that when it's properly set up and calibrated in your home, it'll look much better. Also say that for DVDs and especially HD, a plasma is breathtaking, and HD is becoming the standard.

If she isn't convinced, just tell her to give it a chance and that you can return it if you want. (you can, right? i'm not familiar with Dell)

My family wasn't convinced about the quality of the Fujitsu 5004 when they saw it at Good Guys. But now, at home, it looks much better, and I'm sure it'll improve some more when it's calibrated.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had a similar experience with DirecTV when I first got my 433cmx a few months ago. The problem is that because of the higher resolution flaws get magnified. The biggest problem I had was that the HD STB I was using (a Hughes E86...), which I had connected via component outputs, upconverts all content to 1080i, not just HD but SD as well and it did a pretty poor job with the SD channels, especially the highly compressed local/broadcast feeds. I got a huge improvement once I replaced the E86 with a new generation Sony HD200. The PQ improvement for SD content was dramatic.

Two other things come to mind. First of all, I'm pretty sure what your wife saw at CC, BB, etc. was not a 503cmx, as these units are not normally sold in consumer electronics stores. If she did see a Pioneer panel it was probably was a 5030 which is basically the same panel as the 503cmx but it includes a "media receiver" box which is supplied by Sharp. It is generally felt here that this MR is inferior compared to the 503cmx with the video card (PDA-5002). Pioneer also makes a commercial version of the 503cmx/5002 combo called the Pro 1000 HD that has a glossy black bezel and an extra year of warranty. You can find these at consumer stores so before you cancel, maybe you can find a store in your area with a 1000 HD that you can take your wife to see. This will give a good idea of what yours will look like.

The second issue is that most stores won't have "optimised" setups for demo purposes. They'll either just have straight analog cable, which can look horrible if the signal is noisy. See if they can provide a feed from DirecTV or Dish via a good HD STB connected via coponent cables.

Finally, your profile doesn't show where you are from but if you are in an area that has over-the-air digital reception, this is the best option of all. There is tons of stuff on the networks in HD (stunning!) and even the SD content looks as clear as a DVD. The DirecTV HD boxes all have built-in digital tuners so all you need is an antenna. The channels are fully integrate into the regular DirecTV lineup so it is truely seemless switching.

Anyway, there is no reason you can't get the right setup with your DirecTV/Dish configuration that will have a wonderful picture.

Good luck!

-- Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
Buy the 503--set it up---play some DVDs---she will be soooo amazed that she will not watch Regular TV ever again ---and you will never get another warm supper

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
If you get it and then decide to return it, then you will have to pay for shipping and insurance if the unit is not defective. Somebody here might want to take it off your hands if it comes to that.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great Deal!! Do tell how you did it.. Dell SB or Home site? Used coupons? I have an order in now total $5880 but if I could use your sales person and get a cheaper price, I'd cxl and re-order. Please share..

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree. Can someone post the details again. I read the ealier thread but cannot get a combination that yeilds this price unless you are talking about before tax.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Go easy guys, lets not turn this thread into another "Dell Broker" thread. We already have a half-dozen or so of them going.

Dave

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
Go easy guys, lets not turn this thread into another "Dell Broker" thread. We already have a half-dozen or so of them going.

Dave
What is wrong with"HELPING" each other out and sharing info that could save some of us Greenbacks:)

Harley

PS: Hope I don't need to get my flame suit out of the cleaners:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm not looking for any coupon numbers or to ruffle any feathers, but I would love to know how he was able to pull such a good price when I went around in circles and couldn't get anywhere near it.

thanks...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the great feedback. It convinced the wife to go through with the deal for now, especially since she'll have the 30 days to return it or as CHERIDAVE says, someone on the forum might want to buy itfor what we paid. We live in Southern California (Redlands area) and I will try seeing about getting an OTA HD antenna. I know LA broadcasts some HD content but not sure if I can pick it up here.

After reading all of the horror stories about Dell deals gone sour, I'll check to see if my rep can do the same again. I'll post more particulars on my deal as soon as I get a shipped confirmation.

Life is still great, even after 60! :) :) :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
NetAddict,

I'm in so. calif.. If you do end up not wanting it (hard to imagine, I know), let me know.

;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Is the $5300 after ebates? CC 1% discount? Any tax?

Straight $5300 from Dell is a great deal. I would love to hear how. I got to $5360 but this included ebates and CC discount and was a month+ ago.

-Jym-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually paid $5,236.95 for the 50" PIO 503CMX . . . . . . . . No taxes, coupons, rebates etc. I was fortunate that I had a professional rep that knew what he was doing and we conducted our discussions as two professional business people attempting to make a business deal.

I called several times and talked to at least 5 reps for at least a few minutes each before I finally got him. It only takes 1 minute to decide if the person you're talking to knows what they're doing so I didn’t want to waste my time and banter about for an hour and end up frustrated because I didn't get the deal or the rep said yes and it was never processed. This rep knew what I was willing to pay and we cut right to the chase. He had to go to his supervisor for approval, but I was never hassled at all. I find this approach usually works best for me.

Although I didn't have to use it on my deal, some people use the following approach on major purchases which might help those folks who are still shopping to get the best price possible . . . . Try to make your deal during the last two business days of the month, quarter or year. You never know if that salesperson, his/her manager or the front line executive (or even the company for that matter) needs to make that one additional sale in order to meet his/her production goal or even yet a production or performance bonus.

As a retired executive after over 35 years in the sales and marketing field, I’ve seen the best and the worst of it, and you would be amazed at how that approach does work more often than not. At the risk of getting flamed, I just want to state that this tactic isn't cheating anybody out of anything; it's just a smart way to do business

·
Registered
15 Posts
Net Addict -

So...who was your rep? Certainly it can't hurt to post his name/extension. Some of us have talked with multiple reps at Dell without finding the "diamond in the rough".

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wouldn't want to post his name and extension number on a web site for a lot of reasons that I won't go into on here, but I will do this. Now that I've verified my order is at electrograph, I'll call him tomorrow and see if he's able to do some more deals like mine or at least something close to it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I talked to several reps and could not get anywhere with them on the phone. The best they were ever willing to do was $5880.00.

It would be good to know the rep so others can be helped.

-Jym-

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.