AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an enclosed entertainment center and have (1) Sony Receiver and (1) HTPC in there for the past 2 months. It had (2) 2" holes in the back for cords. It got pretty warm in there. I then cut 6 holes per shelf for a total of (12) 2.5" holes. See attached pictures. It now gets about 88 -90 degrees in there when watching movies. Is that still too warm? Is there an ideal temperature or is room temperature the guide? How can I cool this down a bit? I was thinking of buying (2) PC fans and attaching them to the back to exhaust the hot air. Do I power them by USB, AC power or the PC power supply? Thanks for any help for a new guy.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Exhaust fans are a good idea.

In fact there is a niche product called as Entertainment Center Cooling Fan available in the market. I can't remember who makes it, but if you do a search on Amazon or Google it will come up.

If you use PC fans choose the big 230mm fans, the bigger the fan the more air it can move at lower speeds. Lower speeds equate low noise.

And I would suggest keeping the supply separate from the computer (and anything else); separate power means independent control. Of course this may be dictated by the fan power connectors.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverhouse /forum/post/19613860

I have an enclosed entertainment center and have (1) Sony Receiver and (1) HTPC in there for the past 2 months. It had (2) 2" holes in the back for cords. It got pretty warm in there. I then cut 6 holes per shelf for a total of (12) 2.5" holes. See attached pictures. It now gets about 88 -90 degrees in there when watching movies. Is that still too warm? Is there an ideal temperature or is room temperature the guide? How can I cool this down a bit? I was thinking of buying (2) PC fans and attaching them to the back to exhaust the hot air. Do I power them by USB, AC power or the PC power supply? Thanks for any help for a new guy.

Holes should be just below the shelf, not just above it. Heat rises and your whole cabinet has to fill up with hot air before it starts going out the holes.

BT

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjterry62 /forum/post/19615765

Holes should be just below the shelf, not just above it. Heat rises and your whole cabinet has to fill up with hot air before it starts going out the holes.

BT

+1

Check all sides of the receiver to identify where the vent holes are. Imagine the air flowing into through the vents in the receiver then plan on holes in the cabinet to make for the smoothest airflow. Perhaps some holes in the shelf near the front? At 88-90 degrees you are close enough you can probably cool this passively.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts