AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dedicated H.T room (about 22x15) with its own 2.5 ton air conditioner.

The equipment heat load is already significant (3 amps plus the Proceed PAV/DSD combo, which runs hot) when the room is being used - to the extent that I have added 2 whisper quiet exhaust fans to the equipment cabinet, at the cost of a small increase in noise level.

So you can understand my concern (heat load wise) in converting from my 65" rear projector to a new front projector.

I am sure that some of you have faced this problem and rather than try to re-invent the wheel, I am looking for any advice that can help offset this heat-load - within a reasonable cost, I might add.

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
hush box that exhausts heat and noise out of theater room

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Dennis, since I am also in your area, I can sympathize with your heat concerns. My HT room is about 25X15 and I have a 3 ton unit cooling it. What I did was build a hush box for the projector and vent it to the HT space as well as tapped into the AC duct to give it a cool air supply. I keep the HT set at about 74 degrees year round, and since my HT room is below my upstairs I never use the heat in there so having the ac duct to the projector works great for me.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Every watt of heat you generate in your room that you don't vent out of the room will take about roughly 1.5 Watts of A/C to compensate for (depending on your A/C units efficiency).

So for a projector that draws 330 Watts, you will need about 500 Watts of electricity to compensate for it.

It is more accurate to do this calculation in BTU's but I don't have my notes with me on hand. You can do search where we discussed this a few months ago and I had some hard numbers back then.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
692 Posts
A 65" RPTV draws something like 250 watts. If your projector draws something similar, then it's a wash. If it is more, then you may need to compensate. My guess is that the heat load will be similar, and since the projector will be further from the component rack than the RPTV, the local air will be cooler. Unless you choose a particularly power hungry projector, you are likely ok with the system you already have.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not to get technical on you, but it is cooling load that you are concerned about.

The heat from the lights that you won't be burning plus the lack of the RPTV running should more than offset the heat generated by your pj.

-jp

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Timbelmont: Free is in Arizona. Its not easy to hold 74 degrees in the summer in Arizona when it is 115 in the shade (and over 160 on your roof and in your attic) and still keep the AC duty cycle down around 50%.

Dennis:

Is there anyway you could move the amps into the room on the other side of the wall from your front speakers?

Or how about exhausting the air from your equipment rack directly to an AC return (or maybe just straight outdoors)?

·
Registered
305 Posts
What I've done in my dedicated room is all my equipment sits in a separate equipment room which is separately thermally managed from the viewing room. The seating area shares the same climate system as the house and the equipment room has its own ventilation, cooling and humidity control. I've found that this has not only reduced my energy costs and improved the environment management, it also allows the seating area to be comfortable for humans without sacrificing the needs of the equipment. It also does wonders to noise management.

If you cannot have a separate equipment room, one alternative is to use a self-contained cooling rack. I have several computer equipment racks that are essentially sealed "refrigerators" in the form of a full-height 19" rack. The rack comes with a UPS and two environmental control systems consisting of a 19" rack-mounted air conditioner and a backup back-plane ventilation unit. Several manufacturers make these racks, Liebert is one of them and they start at around $2,500 for a full height 42U rack.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Timbelmont
Free-

3-tons of AC for 375 square feet? Your equipment must generate a *lot* of heat...

TA
I also have my whole house gear located in this space. It includes amps for the whole house audio, automation and control equipment. The other thing is that my A/C system is variable speed and, with the extra cooling capacity, it always runs on low, so the noise level is significantly reduced in the theater.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To all responders :

A great big thank you for terrific suggestions.

I think my set-up is most suited to the idea of a type of "hush-box" for isolating the noise and exhausting the heat.

If anyone has any further data in this area, it would be most welcome - for example - is the hush box commercially available, if not what dimensions, service access etc.

What a fabulous site this is!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
If you can get your hands on the last issue (like November or more, there's not been one out since that one) of Home Theater Builder magazine, they had an article on building your own hush box. I know the local Border's Books carries it here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Estimating cooling loads and tons of A/C comes up all the time in computer rooms, which touches on my line of work. Here's a very handy site that has 1,000's of conversion formulas.

http://www.onlineconversion.com

In the Power section of this site, you'll find conversion factors from volt-amperes or watts(which will be listed on the back of your equipment) to tons of A/C cooling, for instance.

This doesn't address the distribution of hot and cool air, nor does it account for solar heating or other heat sources beyond the equipment itself, but it may come in handy.

-H.

·
Registered
27,092 Posts
Ditto the time and money to solve heat issues.

My theater is cooled to 68 degrees year round and my adjacent equipment PJ room runs between 78-82 degrees despite the fact taht 2wo large Middle Atlantic racks are part of the adjacent wall.

I Have a 12 channel multiroom amp, 2 4 channel Citation amps and 2 white hot Crown K2 amps running at any one time. Not to mention the 15 other components and JVC DILA mounted above all of the equipment.

I installed 2 large fans drawing @ 600 CFM. #1 draws from the ceiling and out the side of the house. #2 draws cool air from the crawl space with the output duct on the floor. So air is constantly moving thru the equipment room floor to ceiling. The room is 4 X 8 X 7 tall.

I also run a smaller fan for the Crown K2 amps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More great inputs. I love this site - my wife is already starting to wonder what is occupying me so on the computer.

Anyway, I have lots to follow-up on, thanks to all of you who generously gave of their time.

Dennis

·
Registered
986 Posts
I messed this up in my theater, over reacted a little and changed damper settings and now my theater is constantly between 67-68 degrees which is a little cold for me and my old bones. 70 to 72 would have been perfect but i am not taking down the ceiling to make damper changes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm sitting here in the northeast, with a heating system that went dead the same day the temperature outside hit 1 below zero (about 2+ weeks). Getting tired of feeding logs into the wood stove and paying for electric space heaters while waiting for the new heating system to be installed.

Could you send me some of your extra BTU's?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.