AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo 770 in an entertainment cabinet with a front tinted glass in wooden frame door. The back of the cabinet has a thin piece of plywood (thin enough to cut with a kitchen knife) in which I have cut out holes at the various shelf levels of the cabinet for the wires to go through. I have about four inches of space that I have left open on top of the 770 so that nothing is sitting directly on the top of the receiver. I have noticed that the 770 gets pretty warm, almost hot to the touch at times after being on for a while. Is this bad? Are receivers designed to work at these temperatures? Sort of new to this so if this is normal then a little reassurance would be nice :) If not then what have others done to help keep their receivers cool? Is it ok to leave the receiver on all the time?

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 770 receiver get quite warm even with adequate ventalation. If you have a glass door, you might consider cutting ventalation holes in your entertainment center behind and above the receiver. Heat rises, and this will give it a path to escape.

I wouldn't leave my receiver powered on when I'm not using it. For one thing, if it creates that much heat, you know it is consuming a fair amount of power.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My 760 also makes a lot of heat.

I place no other components or shelves above it (top of the rack).

I will be placing an exhaust fan near it when I enclose the closet (its an under stairs rack, with one open side wall at present... opens to storage area and will be closed (hopefully this weekend).

So, not to worry about the heat output. Just take precautions to prevent problems.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Why not add some small fans inside the cabinet. Blowing out the heat. We have used extra fans to cool our computers and video cards. Would this not be a decent solution? There would be a little more noise, but then the 5.1 surround should cover that up.

Just a Thought...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.