AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent you a question regarding one of your posts concerning web programming of the replay. If you do not check there, I can repost to the message board.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Unless it's the type of question that only she can answer, I think you're always better off just posting your question on the forum and letting all of us take a crack at it :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
RandyL, are you really so naive? ;)

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hehehehe he just wanted my 24 hour myreplaytv blackout workaround :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
Is that what he called it? The sweettalker.....:D

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Where are those great pics when you need one? KenL, paging KenL.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heathriel
Certainly others also want this? Post it :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yup, that's the one.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Certainly others also want this? Post it :)
Its already been posted a few times Randy... use the search function :p

You know, the repeating manual record for the same time and night sometime in the future and say repeat every whenever then use the "really remote remote control" to force the net connect 15 minutes later thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does the really remote remote control work if you only have one ip address that is not a static ip and are using a router to connect the replay and several computers?

Also, how do you know if I am a "he" or a "she"....haha.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smagz
Also, how do you know if I am a "he" or a "she"....haha.
Well I did a poll about 6 months ago ( I think ) and it turns out that about 99.9% of the people here are male..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It works if you use port forwarding on your router, or set your replay to DMZ. You use the external IP, not the internal one you gave your replay.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is "port forwarding" or "DMZ?" I imagine it compromises the security of my network to some extent. Could you please elaborate a liitle more on the advantages/disadvantages of doing so and how one goes about doing so.

Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
BTW on an OT, I think I need to replace my really old Linky at home. It keeps crapping out (or just pauses a lot) when I'm sending shows from one RTV to another on the LAN...

Should I get that Nexland bonding router or the cheap Linky VPN firewall router that PC Mag said had fastest IPSec/PPTP throughput?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you set your router to forward an external request for a port, say, port 80, to a specific internal IP, then that port will be exposed to the net, but only that port, and only to the machine you specified. Currently there's no known virus that can take down a Replay, nor a significant amount of hackers that would even bother, so the only thing you'd really have to worry about is that someone would start leeching files from your Replay with DVArchive. However, they'd need your IP address for that, which while it can be resolved from your ReplayID, its not common practice to do so, nor is it to randomly force a random replay to randomly upload files to a random person.

DMZ opens all ports, not just one, to a specified machine. On a Replay, again, not a big deal. On a computer this isn't a good thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I looked at the instructions for port forwarding for my Speedstream 2624 router, it says the follwoing:

Select [Advanced Setup > Virtual Server] and enter the following:

On the Virtual Server page do the following:

a) Specify the private IP of your HTTP server

b) Specify the private port of your HTTP server (e.g. 80)

c) Specify the public port for external user access to your HTTP server (e.g. 80 for HTTP or 8080 for access).

Click [Enter] and your changes will take effect immediately.

Example 1

In this example you leave the public port the same as the private port. If your WAN address is [212.35.69.44] enter [ http://212.35.69.44 ] and it will go directly to the [192.168.254.2] address.

My question is if I do not have a static ip, is there a way to make my WAN address static, or are these one in the same?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Just check your WAN IP every day or so and note the changes. Mines not static either; it changes once a week-ish.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I use @Home (Well, now AT+T Broadband I spose) and they say my IP isn't static. I notice that it never changes tho unless I reboot the router.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.