AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so today for some reason, BOTH of my CRT screens(one Viewsonic 17" monitor, and one Toshiba 34" HD CRT) BOTH of them are experiencing crushing blacks. It just happened today and it happened to BOTH OF THEM!!

What the heck could this be?? The HDTV is adjustable, but still very odd. The monitor's settings are not enough to fix it? Is there something wrong with my house? Power issues??

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I assume this is happening with different sources. Its possible that your commercial power AC voltage has dropped ,which has resulted in lower than normal high voltage from the power supply in the sets. If you have a multimeter, check the AC voltage level at the receptacle.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If the monitor doesn't go back it might just be a coincidence. Open the thing up and turn the G2 voltage up ("Screen" knob on the high voltage transformer, the one that has a thick lead going to the top of the tube). Be very careful not to touch anything else or you'll screw up other adjustments and/or get a nasty electric shock.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really sure what's going on here!

Both screens still seem to be increasing in black level by the day!

WTF? Also, I don't consider myself technically inclined enough to open up the monitor.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Then call a technician to take a look at them. For some reason it seems like the flyback is going bad on both sets. It's either the flyback transformer itself or the power supply driving it.

For the monitor i would suggest you to just ditch it and pick a nice used 19" or 21" Trinitron. As for the TV, get a technician to look at it asap, it may save it from more costly repairs.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/15452513

OK, so today for some reason, BOTH of my CRT screens(one Viewsonic 17" monitor, and one Toshiba 34" HD CRT) BOTH of them are experiencing crushing blacks. It just happened today and it happened to BOTH OF THEM!!

What the heck could this be?? The HDTV is adjustable, but still very odd. The monitor's settings are not enough to fix it? Is there something wrong with my house? Power issues??

same source or different source?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure it's not a source issue. The monior and HDTV are completely seperate. The HDTVs blacks seem to slowly be falling back to where they were, but the monitor is still very dark.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well, get yourself a new monitor.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heh, I will, but I'm getting another CRT ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts