AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mistubishi 65413 on its way, and have a concern about my center channel speaker. It is a Definitive Tech CLR2000, and weighs about 40 lbs or so. Will this be safe to put on top of the television, or is it too heavy?

I could put the speaker in front of the TV, but my DD decoder doesn't have adjustable delay for the center so this would require re-positioning all of the speakers pretty far out into the room. To top it off, there is a large window behind the TV, so there are no wall studs to mount a platform on.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think most people put a piece of glass to cover the top of the tv.

This would evenly distribute any weight on top of the tv.

PS. When u get your 65413 make sure there is no dip on the top of the set.

When I got mine it had an 1/8" dip in the middle of the top of the set. Needless to say I had sears replace mine for a new one. I think this was the case with a cpl manufactured in june, so u may not have this issue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually the glass is the best idea. Go to a glass place and get a piece cut the same size as the top of the set that is I believe 1/4 inch thick, check with the store about proper thickness. Then put rubber spacers on all four corners of the set with the glass on top. This creates a floating shelf for your center speaker. All the weight of the speaker is distributed to the sides of the set.

BTW, I have a PSB 9C on top of my 65411. The speaker weighs in around 30 pounds. It has been on the set since the day it was delivered and there has been no sign of trouble.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Do you guys keep the speaker more to the ront of the set or the rear?

Mine is right along the back of the set. This way the speaker weight is not on the plastic screen frame.

Marc, after you put the glass in place did the sag repair itself?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The 1/4" tempered glass is an excellent idea and widely used - but I have had no trouble with my 40 pound CC right on top of my Mitsu. Make sure you don't put the weight on the small plastic overhang in front of the screen.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by walls
put rubber spacers on all four corners of the set with the glass on top
What is the point of the rubber spacers? It seems that the glass would sag under this much weight causing the center to touch the set as well. The set is almost 59" wide. Wouldn't it be better to just place the glass directly on the top (wood part not plastic frame)?

I think just to be safe I will have a piece of glass cut. Looks nicer than wood.

·
Registered
194 Posts
1/4 inch or thicker glass will not sag. This way the speakers weight is distributed to the sides of the set instead of the top. Go to ***************.com and do a search on sagging tops in the Mits section. You should be able to get the exact thickness there. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by walls
Do you guys keep the speaker more to the ront of the set or the rear?

Mine is right along the back of the set. This way the speaker weight is not on the plastic screen frame.

Marc, after you put the glass in place did the sag repair itself?
Sag was slight and is not noticeable (but will sag if I put something back up there in that spot). I moved the center channel to a stand in front of the TV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quick note, the 1/4" piece of glass I'm using is sagging JUST enough to barely touch the top of the TV. I would suggest the next size up (3/8"?) for anyone else who is planning on the glass with legs shelf option :)

Seeing a piece of glass bend that much is just disturbing, and 3/8" shouldn't be too much more expensive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.