AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure where to post this, so if it's in the wrong place please move to the correct location, thanks!

i'm trying to get a handle on exactly what hec is all about how to identify which devices / components support it... if i understand it correctly, a network (ethernet) connection can be shared with an hdmi hec cable, eliminating the need to run an ethernet connection to both devices?

so, for example, if my tv and avr both have ethernet connections, and both units are connected to each other via an hdmi hec cable, then i only have to connect one of the units to my network? is that right?

i searched the user manuals for all of my components including an oppo 203, yamaha cx-a5100 and tcl 4k tv and couldn't find any reference to "hec" (although a lot "check" are returned, ha ha)... is that because if the component accepts a certain standard of hdmi it automatically supports hec?

anyway, a little more clarification would be appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
16,720 Posts
not sure where to post this, so if it's in the wrong place please move to the correct location, thanks!

i'm trying to get a handle on exactly what hec is all about how to identify which devices / components support it... if i understand it correctly, a network (ethernet) connection can be shared with an hdmi hec cable, eliminating the need to run an ethernet connection to both devices?

so, for example, if my tv and avr both have ethernet connections, and both units are connected to each other via an hdmi hec cable, then i only have to connect one of the units to my network? is that right?

i searched the user manuals for all of my components including an oppo 203, yamaha cx-a5100 and tcl 4k tv and couldn't find any reference to "hec" (although a lot "check" are returned, ha ha)... is that because if the component accepts a certain standard of hdmi it automatically supports hec?

anyway, a little more clarification would be appreciated! thanks!
Ethernet via HDMI is an HDMI protocol specification but was never adopted by the device mfrs, so even if you have an HDMI cable with ethernet, that channel is unused. The new HDMI 2.1 spec is supposed to take advantage of that unused ethernet channel for ARC (eARC) but again, all of your HDMI connected devices would have to have the newest HDMI chipsets to utilize that and we are a long ways off for complete integration of HDMI 2.1.

Cable mfrs love to make notice of the fact that their cables are ethernet capable but in reality it is a feature that was never adopted.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ethernet via HDMI is an HDMI protocol specification but was never adopted by the device mfrs, so even if you have an HDMI cable with ethernet, that channel is unused. The new HDMI 2.1 spec is supposed to take advantage of that unused ethernet channel for ARC (eARC) but again, all of your HDMI connected devices would have to have the newest HDMI chipsets to utilize that and we are a long ways off for complete integration of HDMI 2.1.

Cable mfrs love to make notice of the fact that their cables are ethernet capable but in reality it is a feature that was never adopted.
thanks for the helpful reply... so little (relatively speaking) has been written about in terms of mainstream use, and av equipment manufacturers don't seem to be embracing it, no mention of it in any of the user manuals belonging to my pretty new av equipment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts