AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I have recently updated everything in my Home Theatre. I built a monster HTPC, but I guess I didn't do enough research.

I put a Radeon 9800 AIW Pro in it. The best card out there right?? Well, Here ar my issues...

1. It won't act as a PVR with DirectTV (the primary purpose of this machine).

2. Planned on using Girder with my Marantz 9200 remote, but it wont work in the full screen "Easy Mode".

3. I didn't think I would get OTA HD... but I am!!! So now I need a system that will PVR OTA HD and directTV (I know only Standard Def).

4. I want an easy 'remote controllable' software interface with guide, 'seasons passes', Music and Photo viewing.

I think I have a few days to return this.... or is there a better way???

should I use a different piece of software with the AIW9800 and buy an add-on card for HD OTA? Cost is not an issue, what is the best software/hardware I need?

Thanks!

kt

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Your problem is one of the reasons that a lot of us do not like the AIWs. Video is great, but capture/tuner is less that expected for the price. With seperate Video and Capture cards, you can pick and choose.

Most of the OTA HD cards are miserable with SD, OTA, Cable or Sat. You didn't mention the Display, si I can't tell if DScaler is something that you would be interested in.

For DirectTV, I use SageTV as I can control the DirectTV box (generation 2 - about 3 years old) with a serial cable. Not all DirectTV boxes have the slow data connections on them (either a DB 9 or a Telephone style connector). PVR is good with a PVR-250 card. SageTV currently has EPG for DirectTV and some locations (all major markets by November). It currently does not do HDTV and some have had problems with SageTV and a HDCard in the same system.

I think SageRecorder can also control the DirectTV with serial, but there is no EPG.

Microsoft's next version Media Center has been reported to support the AIW (not confirmed). Unless you are a subscriber of MSDN, it is not available as software only. It must be purchased with a prebuilt system.

·
Registered
809 Posts
When you say, "It won't act as a PVR with DirectTV (the primary purpose of this machine)." are you trying to plug the coax from the dish directly into the AIW? If you are then it won't work. In fact there is no legal PC card that will let you record the DTV stream directly.

You should be able to run composite or s-video from the Directv receiver to the AIW and record that way.

Which way are you trying to connect?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Yeah, you should let it go through receiver with (preferably:)) legit access card...

After being AIW fan for many years, I decided to separate. Video for video, TV etc through different hardware...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am connecting to a receiver with a subscribed access card... but there is not guide and recording interface in ATI MMC to control the reveiver!! That is the problem.

The video quality is EXCEPTIONAL (for standard def, that is).

So... is there any third party PVR software I can use with the AIW? If so, can I add a OTA HD Card with the same software and do both WITH the ATI display?

I had been in front of a Microsoft Media center PC wth (I think) a Happage (sp?).. Vide quality sucked! BUT the interface of Microsoft's HTPC is much more like what I am looking for. My Pic,My Music, TV with Guide and SAT IR emitter, and DVD from a simple interface that my wife can use... However I will not use it because I don't want my video recorded in the proprietary format. That is one reason I really want to use the ATI.... ood qaulity MPG2.

So, what am I to do????

kt

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Set to channel 3. Control receiver w/your receiver remote.

As of serial port control of the receiver, here is the link:
http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

Good luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies here. I amreally hoping that a solutions comes of this. I am watching Monday Night Football right now Faded into the desktop as I write ths post.

I really want to keep the quality of this AIW!!! It only they would give me the features to go along with it.

keith

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Go get Snapstream, it has a nice interface and should be able to solve your guide issues. Worst case you use XMLTV to scrape DTV listings for your area and use the XMLImporter utility (available in the Snapstream Forums) to filter in the listings. It's what I do with my AIW 7500 with Shaw digital cable and it works great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cowtown,

This looks encouraging! Thanks! A few more questions however.

What do I need SMLTV and XMLImporter for? Snapstreams site makes me think it will work with DirectTV and I do (I think) have a compatible Serial controllable receiver.

What do you do for Music and Pics? It's interface does not seem to address that.

CAn I add an OTA HD card and have SnapStream deal with it and DirectTV from a common interface?

Thanks!

keith

·
Registered
809 Posts
You could just spend $99 and get a Directv receiver with Tivo and enjoy much higher quality video. DirecTivo has a great guide, season passes, excellent UI, two tuners, and a better picture.

Unless you are using a PC monitor as a display instead of a TV.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gtrogue,

I am using a 60" Plasma with 1280 x 720 Progressive Native... I currently have a Replay 6060 and want to replace it with this HTPC! I would think about Tivo if it offered HD... but not yet.

keith

·
Registered
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by keitht
gtrogue,

I am using a 60" Plasma with 1280 x 720 Progressive Native... I currently have a Replay 6060 and want to replace it with this HTPC! I would think about Tivo if it offered HD... but not yet.

keith
You will get much better quality from a DirecTivo for a lot less money.

The DirecTivo records the DirecTv bitstream directly with no loss.

If you use an HTPC you have to convert the signal to analog and send it to your computer where it is then converted back to digital and re-encoded (compressed) and recorded. It's like viewing a copy of a copy. The same process occurs with your Replay. No HTPC or standalone recorder (Replay, Tivo) can compete with the millions of dollars worth of equipment that DirecTv uses to compress their signal.

Since you are used to the output of the Replay you most likely won't notice any difference but once you've seen the output a DirecTivo you would never think about using a seperate standalone recorder again. The video quality is that much better.

I have a DirecTivo and an HTPC and would never think about using the HTPC for recording standard def programming except, maybe, as a third tuner.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Given what others are saying you may want to go the directTivo route. In my case I wasn't ready for satellite service yet and their PVR ready boxes are in the bloddy silly $500cdn price range, thus making a HTPC a more viable option for me at least.

To answer your questions about Snapstream however.

1. It's just for TV, if you want an integrated service for a front end for pictures and that kind of thing, check out MyHTPC, it can be fiddled with to incorporate pretty much anything. So you could use MyHTPC as your basic front end and have it call up the Snapstream interface when you want to use it.

2. The XMLTV software I mention is only needed if for whatever reason Snapstream doesn't have support for guide information in your area or service. In my case Snapstream doesn't support Canada yet (as far as automatic listings go) so I use the automated XMTV utility to download the listings from one of the Websites that provides that then the XMTV importer automatically incorporates the XML data that was downloaded and inputs it into the database style that Snapstream understands. Now that I got the few bugs/gotchas worked out it works very very well.

But yeah, if you can get a DirecTivo for $99, I'd just do that then spend another $100 or so upgrading the hard drive in it. If I could have bought a Tivo that just plugged in and worked here in Canada I would have purchased one, at least for the TV my wife uses. :)

Regards,

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK... Thanks all for pointing me in the right directions.... Here's how I see it working (with a few open questions).

1. myHTPC is front end

2. Program myHTPC to Launch SnapStream from the Main Menu. SnapStream will use the ATI to record from S-Vid and controll the DTV Receiver via RS-232.

3. Throw away the Remote Wonder and use my Marantz RC9200 with a USBIRT and Girder... A question about this probably for the remotecentral guys, will post that later... Since Girder and the Marantz are setup to LEARN IR codes... how do I create them from scratch and put into Marantz to have Girder Learn?

4. OTA HDTV.... I still don't know how to integrate this... The question of which card will come later (all the reading is here), but on the software side, I don't think SnapStream can't handle it... Is there a better PVR software that can do both SAT--> AIW 9800 and OTA HD -->[a new card]?

Thanks again all!

keith

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UP ;-)

Anyone have *any* ideas how I can get HD OTA Capture in the same system with the AIW9800 (Yes, I know it's another card)?

Keith

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are lots of ways. Only the Fusion II is going to use your AIW for output. All the others, MyHD, Hipix, Access, output via there own connections. All will work in the same system with your Radeon though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.