AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but found nothing. I'm not sure where the problem might lie, if there is even a problem.

I have been watching the ABC football (out of Chicago atea OTA) games and about the top 6th of the score box is cut off. I noticed that from time to time the channel 7 logo is also a little cut off at the bottom. I have the height adjustment on the Panny set to the lowest level possible. I haven't noticed it on any other channel. I have ensured that the DTC 100 is set up with a 16:9 monitor.

Everything looks sweet - no other picture problems at all.

Anyone else had anything like this before.?

My current setup = Panny 4u

RCA DTC-100 via VGA to component cables

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If you don't see it on any other channels, it sounds like it might me a transmission issue with the station (A pretty common problem with Digital OTA, as stations experiment with different stretch options for putting the 4:3 picture into a 16:9 frame) You might post in the "Local HD and Info" forum and see if anyone else in Chicago is seeing this problem with ABC. I have the same hardware combination, and I haven't seen this problem on any station out here.

·
Registered
698 Posts
make sure your plasma aspect ratio is not in zoom mode. bm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experience the same exact thing... (I live in Bartlett, IL)

I think... what we're seeing is actually an NTSC signal being upconverted to 720p (ABC transmit 720p) and then sideconverted to 1080i. What makes it "truncates" the picture is the way they chose to upconvert... I think they do "zoom in" to fill the width and that caused the top and bottom part of a 4:3 picture got chopped off. This will be true for all programs that's not produced on 720p/1080i.

I have seen some nice Prime Time movies coming from ABC though... They're transmitted in 720p but I'm watching it on 1080i (side convert) since my Mits WS55911only shows 480i/480p/1080i.

Just my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you dkarjadi!

I'm glad I posted my location. I was hoping that someone from the area might see it, but was unsure if it was a local issue. I can rest at ease once again and enjoy the stunning pictures. The HT is complete ... except maybe for that HTPC...I wonder...

Gotta go to another forum area - bye.

Thanks again

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.