AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any stable and aestetically pleasing way of placing two surround speakers at the proper height (1-2 feet over ear level)?

I have a couch with two end tables. My surrounds are 12 inches tall, I'd assume that the tweeter would be placed around 10 inches. My ears, while seated, are 32 inches off the ground. That means at 1.5 feet over my ears, I'd need the tweeter of the speaker to be 50 inches off the ground. 10 inches for the speaker. That's still a 40" tall stand. Or I can place smaller stands on the end tables and cut that number down to around 24". Either way, I think these would look weird and for the floor stands (40") would seem quite wobbly.

I cannot wall mount.

What setups are you guys using?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Many of the well made, extremely stable stands are available in a 28" or 30" in height, which will serve your purpose quite well and be plenty high for the rear surrounds. It's the side surrounds that should be mounted quite a bit higher than ear level. The backs, at ear level should be just fine.

Unless of course, you want to purely match the Dolby recommended height of 2 to 3 feet above ear level for ALL surround speakers, in which case you will need to wall mount your speakers.

DVD-A recordings are mixed with all five speakers AT ear level. DOLBY DIGITAL speaker placement guide

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.