AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of making my home theater and just finished wiring all the speakers, and thought it best to add wires for front heights in case I want to buy some. Right now I'm going with a 7.2 surround system, but if heights are good, I'd like to add them soon.


My quesiton is how high they should be? My room is 13' wide, 20' deep. The front R and L will be about 2 feet from each wall. Should the heights be about the same? The ceiling is 9', should they be mounted with the top of the speaker about 8' off the floor? Should they be angled down towards the main listening position?


I need this info soon since when I put OC703 in the front wall I want to at least have some studs where the speakers are supposed to go.


Thanks! I tried searching for this, but couldn't find much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20983121


I am in the middle of making my home theater and just finished wiring all the speakers, and thought it best to add wires for front heights in case I want to buy some. Right now I'm going with a 7.2 surround system, but if heights are good, I'd like to add them soon.


My quesiton is how high they should be? My room is 13' wide, 20' deep. The front R and L will be about 2 feet from each wall. Should the heights be about the same? The ceiling is 9', should they be mounted with the top of the speaker about 8' off the floor? Should they be angled down towards the main listening position?


I need this info soon since when I put OC703 in the front wall I want to at least have some studs where the speakers are supposed to go.


Thanks! I tried searching for this, but couldn't find much.

When I read the title of your other thread I thought THAT thread was asking about height speakers until I read it



Heights are great for certain material, and different people argue that they're worth it or not. I love height speakers. To me it creates a more full frontstage for music or movies. If you like football or movies with helicopters or rain then they're a must.


First off, how tall are your front L/R? (How high up on wall, or if towers, how tall is the tweeter?)


Also to answer your question, yes, the heights should be approximately as far apart as your front L/R are (either directly above or quite close). If you're using studs, obviously you'll do right above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macstatic /forum/post/20983134


When I read the title of your other thread I thought THAT thread was asking about height speakers until I read it



Heights are great for certain material, and different people argue that they're worth it or not. I love height speakers. To me it creates a more full frontstage for music or movies. If you like football or movies with helicopters or rain then they're a must.


First off, how tall are your front L/R? (How high up on wall, or if towers, how tall is the tweeter?)


Also to answer your question, yes, the heights should be approximately as far apart as your front L/R are (either directly above or quite close). If you're using studs, obviously you'll do right above.

My front towers are about 44" tall if I remember correctly. Tweeter would be a couple inches below that height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20983211


My front towers are about 44" tall if I remember correctly. Tweeter would be a couple inches below that height.

The higher the height speaker the better honestly (there is a point where it's too high, but not with 9' ceilings. At least have the heights 3-4 feet above towers. But make sure to angle them down to listening area. This gives the best effect and maximizes your height experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering both threads. What about speaker size for heights. In all the pictures you see monster towers and small puny heights. I have Klipsch RF-82 II's for my front RL and RC-64 II for center, and RS-52 IIs for surrounds. Would getting a pair of RB-51 IIs for the heights be good? Same size woofer as the surrounds. Or should I go bigger?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy /forum/post/20983796


Would getting a pair of RB-51 IIs for the heights be good? Same size woofer as the surrounds. Or should I go bigger?

Your heights can actually be any size, but it's best to go with the same size woofer and tweeter or smaller. I've used satellite speakers with 3" drivers when I had towers with 6-1/2" woofers on them and they still worked fine. Since not too much information is usually put through the height speakers at any given time, (especially bass information) you don't need too big of a woofer on those speakers.


BUT that being said, I myself do have larger height speakers that attain 50hZ (instead of 115hZ from my 3" driver satellites before). I'll include a picture of my setup to show you my height positioning, etc. Keep in mind that I'm using a wall unit, not mounting, so for you, you'll have a lot more freedom with positioning and so forth. Also, my center channel is up above TV since it doesn't fit lower.

 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top