AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. Start to really plan for the home theater setup, and found my mind is exploding. Need help. Probably a lot of help.

My room is 16' x 22'6", and I drafted the plan below, my ceiling is 8' high.

I am worried about heights. If you were me, how big a 16:9 screen you will put here? The largest I can get would 130". And how tall shall the stage be and how tall shall the riser be? How tall shall the bench be so people can sit comfortable with some pillows? Where would you put the equipment rack?

Sketchup is great, but I am just having a really hard time to image heights, 2D layout was so much easier...

Thanks and please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Some of these questions are interrelated. For example, if the screen is not A/T, the center speaker would likely be below, and the larger the screen, the lower. That in turn forces the riser to be taller so those folks can see the bottom of the screen and hear the dialog clearly. An A/T screen allows the speakers to up higher, as would a smaller screen. Smaller means you might like the seating closer so as to experience the desired image size. So that basic decision about screen type and size will have ripple effects to the rest of the room layout.

Could the stairs and riser be pulled closer to the screen, essentially tucking up to the front row seats? That would eliminate the trough behind the front row (a safety issue), but also allow the rear seats (benches) to move forward of the rear wall a bit more. Being close to that back wall will make it difficult to control bass and surround effects, if that's of any concern.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.