AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
28,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva  /t/1468515/helix-new-syfy-series#post_23210265

Anything from ron moore I will at least give a chance. He's had a real dry spell since battlestar

'Caprica' was very good and going to get better IMO, although its ratings didn't reflect that. It was probably, along with 'Rubicon', one of those shows that was literally "too smart for TV".

·
Registered
844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1468515/helix-new-syfy-series#post_23210137

It had me at "From Ronald D. Moore...". I'm so there.

I am sooooo with you!

·
Registered
844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy  /t/1468515/helix-new-syfy-series#post_23210493

'Caprica' was very good and going to get better IMO, although its ratings didn't reflect that. It was probably, along with 'Rubicon', one of those shows that was literally "too smart for TV".

OMG - I so totally agree!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Syfy has put the first 15 minutes of episode one online.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
my DVR is confusing me. It has the opener titled: "Pilot; Vector" and the run time as 90 minutes. Then, after a repeat of the opener, it lists 2 one hour episodes, one titled "Pilot", and the other "Vector". Does the premier have limited commercials so it only runs 90 minutes? And its then divided into 2 episodes, with lots more ads?

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,447 Posts

One of the spots SyFy ran for "Helix" mentioned "Series premiere, with limited commercial interruption."

Today's prime-time standard seems to be 75% or less actual program for the time slot, so it sounds like SyFy Channel is minimizing the commercials for the first two airings (tomorrow: 10pm-11:30pm, 11:30pm-1am), and then will include the regular load of commercials for the additional airings.

And, yes, it looks to me like SyFy is airing the first two episodes: "Pilot" and "Vector", so "Pilot" will take 45 minutes (with limited commercial interruption) followed by "Vector" taking 45 minutes (with limited commercial interruption) for a total of 90 minutes. And sometimes when two episodes are shown together, the redundant opening and closing credits are stripped off between episodes so the two episodes appear to be seamless, which also cuts back a bit of the program that has to air, but I don't know if SyFy will do that in this case.

SyFy schedule: http://www.syfy.com/schedule/

I tend to be a bit skeptical about such plans, so I have my DVR set to continue recording 30 minutes past the end of the show: recording 10pm-midnight instead of just 10pm-11:30pm.

·
Premium Member
36,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonwolf615  /t/1468515/helix-new-syfy-series/0_100#post_24185293

my DVR is confusing me. It has the opener titled: "Pilot; Vector" and the run time as 90 minutes. Then, after a repeat of the opener, it lists 2 one hour episodes, one titled "Pilot", and the other "Vector". Does the premier have limited commercials so it only runs 90 minutes? And its then divided into 2 episodes, with lots more ads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547  /t/1468515/helix-new-syfy-series/0_100#post_24185382

One of the spots SyFy ran for "Helix" mentioned "Series premiere, with limited commercial interruption."

Today's prime-time standard seems to be 75% or less actual program for the time slot, so it sounds like SyFy Channel is minimizing the commercials for the first two airings (tomorrow: 10pm-11:30pm, 11:30pm-1am), and then will include the regular load of commercials for the additional airings.

And, yes, it looks to me like SyFy is airing the first two episodes: "Pilot" and "Vector", so "Pilot" will take 45 minutes (with limited commercial interruption) followed by "Vector" taking 45 minutes (with limited commercial interruption) for a total of 90 minutes. And sometimes when two episodes are shown together, the redundant opening and closing credits are stripped off between episodes so the two episodes appear to be seamless, which also cuts back a bit of the program that has to air, but I don't know if SyFy will do that in this case.

SyFy schedule: http://www.syfy.com/schedule/

I tend to be a bit skeptical about such plans, so I have my DVR set to continue recording 30 minutes past the end of the show: recording 10pm-midnight instead of just 10pm-11:30pm.
I noticed the same discrepancy and figured the same about the commercials. I have all of the listed episodes airing tomorrow set to record just in case something is amiss with the guide data.

·
Registered
28,708 Posts
The plan is to run the first two episodes together twice tomorrow night, as well as each episode separately. If you have the first block of an hour and a half selected, you'll see everything. I deleted the redundant recordings my DVR scheduled as the EPG listed them all as "new". It is kind of confusing, though.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts