AVS Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Saw a couple of conflicting information and wanted to confirm.

Is this a couch co-op game? Wife and I need a new game to play and this looks fun.

(not so sure about $40, though. Ouch.)
The retail disc version will be $40 and includes the DLC as I understand it. That doesn't released until August. Get the digital version now. If you liked dead nation, you will love this.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Reatil edition is out today. Comes with all DLC including an unreleased weapons pack that is a timed exclusive for now to the retail version. Also includes PS4 dynamic theme and download codes for vita and ps3 version.

I have 250 hours in the game and still love it. Still finding surprises and new strategies and see no end in sight. Community is small but active. With 4 player co-op, doesn't take much to find a full game.

Reactions: EM3

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just picked this up this past weekend. Yep I keep dying over and over and over.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I guess I need to put more time into this. I bought it last week, went through the training mode, and tried a couple actual games. Granted, I haven't given it much of a shot yet, but I'm really not enjoying it at all. I love games like Dead Nation, but this one just seems so clunky. I even found a game streaming on PS, but it didn't do anything to convince me I'll like it.

I'll definitely put some more time into it, but and glad I didn't pay extra for the retail version at this point. :eek:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry to hear that. If anyone wants an experienced hand to help get the basics feel free to add me and I would be happy to.

Reactions: EM3 and clotter62

·
Registered
158 Posts
Once fall/winter rolls around I will be back around playing again.

This is definitely a keeper and a good find. Picked this up quite a few months ago now and it's great when you have a few buddies over. Think I am level 13 or so?

Feel free to add me up. I am online from time to time (though not as much recently) but come the colder months I will be around almost daily.

Cheers

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought the $40 version. Two things I can’t stand about the game…having to reload manually/limited ammo, and friendly fire. If they made ways to turn these off I would enjoy the game so much more.

It does seem a little clunky to have to look at the lower left corner of the screen to look at a button sequence for executing a command.

Hopefully I just need some more time with this one.

·
Registered
778 Posts
See, I love the mechanics. You will memorize the respawn and ammo commands eventually.

I kind of see the call in of strategems as a bit of realism, you need to do what is actually shown in the animation. Take your eye off the battle and look at your handheld com device to make the request.

Friendly fire adds to the white knuckle effect for me. Everything can kill you. Bullets are deadly, so too are the environmental elements, not to mention stratagem drops and of course enemies.

Give a laser weapon a try to avoid the reload/ammo issue. As long as you keep from overheating, unlimited ammo.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I was playing solo last night and had folks drop in on me. It did make it a lot more fun. Remembering codes is a bear for me. I was this could be programmed in for the left buttons (right, up, down, left). I dropped in on a couple of people last night. I didn't realize it had voice until someone shouted at me. Oh I learned the hard way to watch out for the drops. I got squished like a bug by an elephant.

If anyone want to add me my PSN id is EJMthree.

·
Registered
876 Posts
See, I love the mechanics. You will memorize the respawn and ammo commands eventually.

I kind of see the call in of strategems as a bit of realism, you need to do what is actually shown in the animation. Take your eye off the battle and look at your handheld com device to make the request.

Friendly fire adds to the white knuckle effect for me. Everything can kill you. Bullets are deadly, so too are the environmental elements, not to mention stratagem drops and of course enemies.

Give a laser weapon a try to avoid the reload/ammo issue. As long as you keep from overheating, unlimited ammo.
Thanks man. I will definitely give that a shot tonight.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Some tips:

1. Keep moving. Enemies will spawn ad infinitum, finish an objective and move on. Only stand and fight if absolutely necessary. If an alarm triggers while moving to another objective, continue moving toward the next objective and pick up the fight there.

2. Try to keep an eye on the map and the red patrol dots. Kill the patrols quickly before they sound the alarm to call in reinforcements.

3. Keep moving

4. Upgrade your respawn, ammo and pistol strategems. The shorter cool down of the first and second and extra power on the pistol are very valuable. When downed by an enemy you automatically switch to your pistol...and can use it. Do so before getting up if your are under close attack. Early on in the game those pistol perks are nice options when you haven't upgraded the stock pistol.

4. When playing with teammates stay together as much as possible but cover your own quadrant. Separating stretches the screen and limits the view of enemies off screen making patrols harder to pick off.

5. Enemies are attracted to the beacons of called down strategems. When starting a defend objective and no alarm has already been sounded, calling down a strategem can be trouble. Wait unless it has to be done (out of ammo).

6. Don't worry about deaths, kills, team kills or any of that other FPS stuff. This is a co-op arcade game. Focus on the first 2 stars, completing all objectives and getting the whole group on the extraction shuttle. Then work on the low death count third star (this is earned by the whole group dying fewer times than the level of the mission, so 5 times max on a level 6 mission)

7. Keep moving

8. The game is HARD. If you are used to starting games on a harder setting, dial it back while you get used to things and upgrade your weapons. No shame in running Ievels 2, 3 and 4 while getting the hang of it.

9. Enemies have week spots. If you are seeing a blue flash on your target you are hitting armor and doing little to no damage. Solid hits flash orange. Adjust your aim accordingly.

Good luck Helldivers! Superearth is counting on you.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Here is a video of some pretty good players hacking their way through a level 12 helldive. Some NSFW language. Gives a good idea of the white knuckle fun this game provides.

·
Registered
614 Posts
So far I have made it to level 14 I think. Not bad for an old man with a brain that works faster than his fingers. Still trying to figure out what weapons I really like and want to upgrade to the max as well as the other stuff. I would love to see something that says if you are going to fight cyborgs in may help if you use ______. But that is ok I understand about trial and error Right now my only complaint is that I warped into a game and got stuck with a real ass. He would respawn me but then would eventually kill me when I was busy shooting enemies. The final straw was when he took me out as a shuttle arrived. In a way I like it better than Destiny because these missions are a lot shorter. I can jump on line and usually finish a one mission in 10 to 15 minutes tops. Some of those Destiny missions would take an hour or more.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Some tips:

1. Keep moving. Enemies will spawn ad infinitum, finish an objective and move on. Only stand and fight if absolutely necessary. If an alarm triggers while moving to another objective, continue moving toward the next objective and pick up the fight there.

2. Try to keep an eye on the map and the red patrol dots. Kill the patrols quickly before they sound the alarm to call in reinforcements.

3. Keep moving

4. Upgrade your respawn, ammo and pistol strategems. The shorter cool down of the first and second and extra power on the pistol are very valuable. When downed by an enemy you automatically switch to your pistol...and can use it. Do so before getting up if your are under close attack. Early on in the game those pistol perks are nice options when you haven't upgraded the stock pistol.

4. When playing with teammates stay together as much as possible but cover your own quadrant. Separating stretches the screen and limits the view of enemies off screen making patrols harder to pick off.

5. Enemies are attracted to the beacons of called down strategems. When starting a defend objective and no alarm has already been sounded, calling down a strategem can be trouble. Wait unless it has to be done (out of ammo).

6. Don't worry about deaths, kills, team kills or any of that other FPS stuff. This is a co-op arcade game. Focus on the first 2 stars, completing all objectives and getting the whole group on the extraction shuttle. Then work on the low death count third star (this is earned by the whole group dying fewer times than the level of the mission, so 5 times max on a level 6 mission)

7. Keep moving

8. The game is HARD. If you are used to starting games on a harder setting, dial it back while you get used to things and upgrade your weapons. No shame in running Ievels 2, 3 and 4 while getting the hang of it.

9. Enemies have week spots. If you are seeing a blue flash on your target you are hitting armor and doing little to no damage. Solid hits flash orange. Adjust your aim accordingly.

Good luck Helldivers! Superearth is counting on you.

Thanks for the tips.

I gave this game another shot based on your suggestion for trying a laser weapon. Of all three laser weapons I’ve tried (can’t remember the weapon names) I like the one-handed tanto the best. The two-handed laser rifles are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough with the direction of fire….I always end up firing at my teammate. The control on the one-handed laser is spot on, even though it lacks the distance of the other two rifles. Still, my accuracy is best with it.

I can see how friendly fire adds to the white knuckle effect, but man it can be frustrating at times. There are also times when you just can’t get around without a mech.

My bro and I got some good double-xp this last weekend. I think I’m level 15 after only a couple evenings of playtime.

Pretty cool game. Glad I gave it another chance.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Did my first Helldive/Suicide Mission last night. Not the best decision but some nice guys dragged my level 14/15 butt around. Since I was grunt in the op I didn't have any input except "dead again" and "WTF". It was a blast. Do you folks change your Strategems and weapons to suit your enemies and others playing styles or do you just find what works with you and go with that? Also, we were having a discussion about matching outfits to the terrain in the hopes of reducing our awareness but didn't try it. So far my favorite weapon is the Sickle (sp)?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yeah I was kind of wondering the same thing. Didn't try a helldive mission last night, but did one with difficulty listed as "hard as hell". We were on the bug homeworld and we got destroyed. Kind of felt like you needed all 4 players for some of these missions, and we were only using 2. Didn't matter if we used mechs & tanks...it wasn't enough. Some of the larger "bugs" will destroy a mech within seconds.

For stratagems I usually go with all mechs, sometimes the recoiless rifle if I need to take out a bug nest or artillery. Using a laser weapon I almost never need to resupply.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Tailoring weapons to enemies is somewhat important. Having weapons to deal with heavy armor is a must. The recoilless rifle is a great choice. Make sure to use the assisted reload function. If you carry the reload backpack it takes about 10 seconds to reload. If a squadmate carries it, they can reload you with X almost instantly. Really make a difference in being able to handle multiple armored foes. The backpack can be restocked with an ammo drop.

There are so many ways to set up your strategems, weapons and perk and be successful, one of the great things about the game. You can suit your style. I adjust mine based on enemy, environment and objectives. Jetpacks and vehicles are nice for snow planets. Napalm, stasis field, and barbedwire are great when there are defend objectives where you have to hold your ground for awhile.

If 2 other players have ammo I won't bring it, there is enough to share. I like some of the red offensive stratagems, close air strike, hellfire. These go nicely with strategem priority to lessen their cool down so I can call them in more often.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Had to bump this. Helldivers is free for PS+ members this month. PS4, PS3 and Vita users can all give this a try for free.

Reactions: Abaddon
21 - 39 of 39 Posts