AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 2465 Posts

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I also have a Sotm sms-200 streaming device, similar to the microrendu that will blow your socks off if you guys would be interested in that also. I am telling you you have never heard music sound like this. It is absolutely incredible. Every decay, pluck, pick, finger, slide, reverb, voice, ambiance. It is all there. And it is incredible. I can't imagine any CD player sounding as good as this.

Gregg do you have a dac, besides what's in your processor?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'd sure be up to hearing all of these compared. Bonus if someone brings an Emotiva as I have my responsible eye trained on a 3 channel model. Hopefully your new pair of British bulldogs wont lure me out of my budget.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have a dac in my oppo 105, I believe it's a 32 bit Burr-Brown. Iv'e been streaming Tidal MQA off a laptop through it.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Ok that would work perfectly. It is a Sabre dac in the oppo

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm thinking about Saturday May 15th but am a bit flexible. I've spent a short amount of time with the MF's, liking them a lot so far

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I hope you mean May 13th. And that is ok for me as long as it is about 3:00 pm. I have a prior commitment earlier that day. And I really want to come to your event. The next Saturday I have to work until about 1:00 pm. Earliest I could get there about 2:00.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Next Saturday I don't have anything I know of. Not yet at least. Lol

·
Banned
66 Posts
You boys and your big toys! Greg, did you find the MF Monoblocks used? I saw those suckers on Music Direct at a "Discounted" price of $12,500/pr. Yikes!

If you end up preferring them over your Mac will you be selling it?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I got them as a demo pair from MD. I'm ready to pull my hair (what's left of it) out. I have a ground loop issue between the Marantz and the amps. I've tried everything Cheater plug, different outlets, changed xlr cables. I can connect the amps to my Oppo xlr outputs using everything that is connected to the Marantz (Cables power cords etc) and it's dead quiet. As soon as I re connect it to the Marantz the ground hum comes back. No issue with the Mc amp. wtf??? I gotta get this resolved before I have a shootout. Any tips are welcome. The Marantz has a 2 prong plug, the MF's have a 3 prong is that makes any difference. Same as my Mc

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Have you tried a different outlet not on the same circuit as your Marantz? If you have to use an extension cord to just try it, that is fine.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
And also unhooked your cable or satellite box from the Marantz?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
After hours of trying everything to figure out the issue, turns out one of the amps is causing the issue. I know, sounds crazy but it is. I moved the amps into the same room as my Marantz. Had the Marantz and amps plugged in but not powered up. Every time I connected the xlr cable coming out of the Marantz into the amp, it popped the gfi, but only on one of the amps. I schlepped them back into the theater. With just one of the amps connected via xlr the sound was clear. As soon as I connected the xlr to the other amp, the same one that popped the gfi, even in standby mode, the ground noise came through the channel that was playing clearly. I also found a plastic bag with what appeared to be resistors and diodes in the bottom of a box. At this point, I may just ship them back and be done with it.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Wow that's a bummer. I wonder why those parts were in the box? Music Direct should take care if you for that. They must have known that those were in the box.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
After hours of trying everything to figure out the issue, turns out one of the amps is causing the issue. I know, sounds crazy but it is. I moved the amps into the same room as my Marantz. Had the Marantz and amps plugged in but not powered up. Every time I connected the xlr cable coming out of the Marantz into the amp, it popped the gfi, but only on one of the amps. I schlepped them back into the theater. With just one of the amps connected via xlr the sound was clear. As soon as I connected the xlr to the other amp, the same one that popped the gfi, even in standby mode, the ground noise came through the channel that was playing clearly. I also found a plastic bag with what appeared to be resistors and diodes in the bottom of a box. At this point, I may just ship them back and be done with it.
So did Music Direct send you a used item??

I've bought twice from them, most recently a refurbished Marantz HD-DAC1, and I was very happy with the products and customer service.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
So did Music Direct send you a used item??

I've bought twice from them, most recently a refurbished Marantz HD-DAC1, and I was very happy with the products and customer service.
I've dealt with them before too and was always satisfied. I'm not bashing them, just flustrated that my new toy didn't work. They did list it as demo, I knew that. I'm sure they will make it right, my post was born from frustration after spending hours trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Reactions: pbarach

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I have also ordered from Music Direct in the past. They are very good. That's why I think they will do you right on this.

I am a bit fuzzled as to how they didn't know about them extra parts in the box however.

·
Banned
66 Posts
It may soon be time again to spend money on the audio side of things now that my firearm distraction has settled down and my car will be paid off in a few months. We just ordered some new theater seating for our living room to better serve our usual TV viewing activity there, and will have that in place this Saturday.

Ron H. has me thinking of some sort of media streaming device or maybe a cheap laptop I can convert to such a device.

1181 - 1200 of 2465 Posts