AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a used Sony KV-32XBR450, i have hooked up a xbox360 to it and selected 1080i, the picture shows up in hi-def, but everything including the dashboard for the xbox are all in widescreen? theres two black bars that take away half the screen, ive tried turning off the enhanced widescreen, ive tried alot of things! so does this mean my tv supports 1080i but only if its in widescreen? is there any way to stretch it out or take the bars away? or is this normal...please reply someone!!

· Registered
25 Posts
1080i is a widescreen format, noticing the model number 32xbr you have a 4:3 television. There should be a button on the sony remote for the aspect. you should be able to stretch the picture. may not look the best but it should get the job done for ya.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
As pointed out: 1080i is by nature 16x9 widescreen and *should* be letter-boxed (black bars top and bottom) to display properly on a 4x3 display.

If you choose 480i/p resolution on the 360 dashboard, you *will* have a choice between widescreen (16x9) and full screen (4x3) display.

· Registered
1,757 Posts
The best thing do do, honestly, is view it as-is. The 4x3 set was not a good choice for HD gaming. The next best option is to set the screen to "Zoom" which will cut off the left and right of the signal, but maintain proper horizontal-vertical relations. In other words, it will crop without distortion, and you'll still have an HD picture. But losing the horizontal edges of the screen is going to negatively impact gameplay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.