AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum.....actually not new but I was on it several years ago when I was first doing research before buying. I've lost that username/password but now I am back again. This is the best source of info on the web, and I appreciate all that contribute.

I'm moving into a new house. My current system is Elite 54TX receiver, Monitor Audio Bronze, and HSU STF-2 subwoofer. It is a 5.1 system.

Volume of my new room will be north of 6000 cubic feet. I'm thinking this will push the limits of my current set-up.

I really don't want to have to buy a new receiver, so I am considering using the Elite for a pre-pro and buying an amp.

What I am looking for is some amp suggestions, or suggestions in general on this situation. I do not know if the Elite has output for 2 subs (I am at work), but I am sure this sub will be lacking in this room. Maybe put another one, or a whole new one?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
The Village Idiot
9,716 Posts
You might find the current setup works great in the new room. Much of how your audio gear sounds will have to do with what is in the room...things like heavy carpeting and lots of overstuffed furniture will act as a sink to the sound output.

You may want to wait and see if more power is the solution to a problem that may not exist.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris E /forum/post/17020157

New to the forum.....actually not new but I was on it several years ago when I was first doing research before buying. I've lost that username/password but now I am back again. This is the best source of info on the web, and I appreciate all that contribute.

I'm moving into a new house. My current system is Elite 54TX receiver, Monitor Audio Bronze, and HSU STF-2 subwoofer. It is a 5.1 system.

Volume of my new room will be north of 6000 cubic feet. I'm thinking this will push the limits of my current set-up.

I really don't want to have to buy a new receiver, so I am considering using the Elite for a pre-pro and buying an amp.

What I am looking for is some amp suggestions, or suggestions in general on this situation. I do not know if the Elite has output for 2 subs (I am at work), but I am sure this sub will be lacking in this room. Maybe put another one, or a whole new one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Agree with Knucklehead on this one. If after getting there and you think you do indeed need more power. Give Emotiva's amp products a look. Good products for an excellent price. Seems like they are always running a sale.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I will just sit tight and see what I need after I move in, per y'alls suggestions. I have looked at the Emotiva stuff and if I go that direcation that is probably what I will use.

One more question: I will have a closet behind my tv, so I can put my AV equipment in there out of the way, and access it by IR sensor with the remote. I plan to do a search on the forum for suggestions on IR sensors....

Anyway, should I be concerned about the heat generated in this closed space, especially if I go with an amp? It is not possible for me to run a small AC duct to this closet (it is under the stairs). I could put a vent to ventilate to the outside....

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
heat is an issue in an enclosed closet. You might get away with "passive" temperature control, an air inlet at the bottom of the door (cooler air in) and a outlet in the wall near the top of the closet. Next step up is a quiet computer type muffin fan on the outlet vent to insure air flow out of the closet. That will probably be all you need. A/C venting would be the final option only if the simple solutions don't work.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Minus the audio formats and other features that have came out since the Elite 54TX was released it's an excellent receiver. I would definitely wait and see what happens on that upgrade unless you do want the features released since then.

The first step I would take is the STF-2 isn't going to cut it in that area. I'd focus on that first, even if you do decide you need something the 54tx won't provide when setup you can take care of that when the time comes. The STF-2 while being an excellent smaller sub will struggle, no question, work on that first and I wouldn't recommend mating it with a larger more capable sub.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I agree with the other posters who suggest waiting until you are in to see how the system performs. But I also expect that you may want a sub upgrade. If I were you, I would start researching subs.

You can use a simple y-cable so send the sub output to 2 (or more) subs. Most receivers with 2 sub outputs essentially have an "internal y-cable" anyway.

-Max

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know, that is something I didn't even think about.....the features on the 54tx. It would be really nice if I had HDMI out. Instead, if I want to run only one cable thru the wall it would have to be component, and all my stuff would need to be component. Right now it is on a TV stand and I've got crap running everywhere, mainly HDMI from my cable box and DVD player to my TV. Hmmm.

I take it if I can live with this and do decide I need an amp, the 54tx is perfect for a pre-amp???

Thanks for the idea vanmeter. I will install a vent, and put a fan out on it. Hopefully that will keep enough ventilation in there from under the door.

Jake - I wouldn't mate it with a different sub. I was thinking about getting another STF-2 and doubling up. I would need to see if that made sense cost wise vs selling the STF-2 and getting something bigger like the VTF-3....which is "better"? Two small subs or one larger one? The math is easier in terms of woofer size, but I am unsure how the power plays into it.

Maybe I'll have a sub and a receiver for sell soon.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Two big subs are better. :)

Jk, you can mix subs, so could run the STF-2 and a bigger sub together if you want. Multiple subs can help smooth out the frequency response.

The STF-2 is a fine sub, but only extends down to 25Hz. If you are upgrading anyway... I would get something that plays lower.

-Max

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an upstairs gameroom that I plan to put my current TV in (Mits. rear proj LCD 720P), and buy a flatscreen to put on the wall downstairs. Maybe I will just put my current surround up there with it (it is perfect size) and redo the downstairs surround. I am already wavering on the 54tx, and I knew I had a problem with the sub. I have been thinking of upgrading to MA silvers for awhile.

I knew I shouldn't have come in here. You guys are a bad influence. This amp question might end up costing me $6k.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Emotiva makes affordable amps. Some pro amps are quite affordable as well.

Used may be an option.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
If you want maximum "bang for the buck" and aren't concerned with fan noise (which can usually be dealt with) aesthetics or simply how much space they take up, you can't beat pro amps.

You can also get great deals on older HDMI 1.1 pre-pros and receivers that are being dumped as people upgrade to HDMI 1.3. So long as you use a BluRay player that can decode the lossless TrueHD and DTS-MA formats and output them as PCM, HDMI 1.1 is all you need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts