Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Before I purchased my PVR I looked at several forums devoted to PVR’s and decided on the Replay (5040) but I seem drawn back to this one...

When I bought the unit I figured that with the USB 802.11b coming out shortly I could work around the need for a phone line close to my setup by using my wireless home network. Since that hasn’t been delivered I rooted around here and found out about the wireless bridge. Got it working, even though it is a Linksys, without much trouble and all of my networked PC’s can see the Replay, as well download and stream to and from it.

When I bought the unit I figured 40 hours was plenty – wrong again! Came back here and found out about DVArchive – works great. (Too slow wirelessly so I just bought a wired 10/100Mbps Ethernet switch (PC is close to TV setup, just no wired phone line...) so when that unit arrives the speed problem should be solved. (Of course now I want some HUGE SATA drives...)

Now, I would like to download some videos from my Replay to my PC (done), edit them (done) and then send them back to my Replay (not done well at least not so that they actually work).

I “know†I saw somewhere, probably on this site, that there is some issue (encoding somethingorother???) that prevents just editing them with DVA and then exporting them back to the Replay but, I thought I saw something somewhere that explained how to do some additional step that made them playable via the Replay. Can anyone help out? Burning them to a DVD is not a option at the moment, don’t have a DVD burner, never will (that REALLY means I will probably get one real soon but nevertheless...) and that is really not what I want to do, at this point, anyway.

And yes, I know this question has probably been answered before a bizillion times, and everyone is probably sick of it. However, I would appreciate any help (I have tried to find the answer browsing through here) and believe me while I am a total neophyte in regards to all things video, especially editing burninng etc as well as networking, I have been successful with a few hints. (Read – Hold my hand and tell me what keys to mash!)

(Well I will admit that I am clueless as to the CFP, although I have read much about it including it’s history, is it functional on a 5040?)

Regards and TIA for reading and, hopefully, replying to this post!

·
Registered
886 Posts
You can't import MPG's back into the replay itself. You can stream back from DVArchive. Also, once you've edited your replay MPG's, you won't be able to get them back into a format that the Replay can read. The problem is that the replay needs the index file to be right, and I don't believe anyone has solved that problem yet.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I believe the problem is more than just the index file, but until someone cracks that riddle, we'll have to see. There are lots of little things in the replay MPEG stream that appear to be configured for the replay, if something isn't 100% correct the replay won't play it.

But, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's got "close". Nothing more than a few frames of video from a homemade video clip. (I still swear I heard AC3 passed out the toslink connection, if only for a fraction of a second. Still no proof the replay would even know what to do with a AC3 SPIDF stream, but maybe it would just magically work. That was my guess.)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Boyce1:

Welcome! As answered above, no, you can't (yet) edit a file downloaded from the ReplayTV and stream it back. We ALL wish you could, but wishing doesn't make it so. A number of very dedicated people have worked on this, but it's still just a dream.

I'm glad to see that you got your wireless setup working. I tried a Linksys WET11 bridge, and though my 5040 would do a successful net connect, the bandwidth just wasn't high enough to let me stream to or from my PC using DVArchive without serious studdering or annoying lockups and resets. I could download MPEG files to my PC, but it took several times longer than my wired connection. Seems there is just too much interference in my neighborhood.

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it, ;) will probably be to archive the shows you downloaded to DVD. There are a TON of threads here that will keep you busy for weeks.

By the way, what quality are you recording at? I record EVERYTHING at Medium quality on my 5040, and it is excellent. On my 2020 and 2001, I record everything at Standard (low) quality. It's "good enough" on my 27 inch TV.

Again, welcome, and good luck!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.