AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any plasma recommendations?

I want the best plasma i can get for $1500 at around 40". I want to play PS3 on it, watch some HD programming, and watch some blu-ray movies on it.

I can't stand flashlighting and clouding, so i dont want another LCD. Although the picture was great, these issues made me nuts. I have the LN40A650 (will return it, most likely). For plasmas, is burn in a huge issue?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I'm sure you are gonna get bombarded by the 1000s of Panasonic owners, but, I'd go with the Samsung PN42A550.

IR really shouldn't be a problem. The only thing about plasma is that there is a bit more precaution involved in the early stages. Once you surpass the initial break in period on a plasma, which is roughly 150 hours, you are less likely to experience IR. Even if you do, most panels have a white wash feature, an orbiter, and image inversion, so either way, you'll be ok.

·
Registered
503 Posts
1500 for a 42" eh? Man, those LCD makers sure have people suckered into paying wayyy too much for an inferior product.

You can get a 50" plasma for that price! But if you were looking for the best 42", I would say either the Panasonic 42pz800u, or wait until the new Pioneers come out.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Similar plasmas w/ 1080p are priced cheaper? Sweet. 120hz doesn't apply to plasmas, right?

Is green phosphor or whatever you guys call it when there is a black screen and it looks green when off angle viewing?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/14276259

Similar plasmas w/ 1080p are priced cheaper? Sweet. 120hz doesn't apply to plasmas, right?

Is green phosphor or whatever you guys call it when there is a black screen and it looks green when off angle viewing?

no

it´s when you have fast sequence you see a trail on those fast objects. Similar to rainbow effect on DLP.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 /forum/post/14276374

no

it´s when you have fast sequence you see a trail on those fast objects. Similar to rainbow effect on DLP.

err...are there any technologies that aren't messed up somehow? I was always satisfied with our crts...although they are large.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
most plasmas have pretty good off angle viewing.

you should be able to find a 50" panasonic in that range, like a th50px80. a good plasma and that 10 extra inches will be nice too over a 40".

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/14276259

I'm into my third week with my Panasonic 46" (TH-46PZ85U) and I couldn't be happier with it. I have a 360, PS3, and Wii hooked up to it and they all look great.

I went back and forth between LCD and plasma several times while deciding what to buy, and ultimately it came down to this: I would much rather deal with the inherent flaws of plasmas than those of LCDs.

I have had no image retention, but I've been careful. I do see green phosphor trails at times in games, but I don't find them distracting. They are minor to the point that if I hadn't been informed of their existence, I probably wouldn't have noticed them (damn you, AVSForum!
). The only time they seem to show up is when a bright white object is moving fast against a dark background. Example: a street lamp in GTA4 at night while taking a fast corner.

I'd rather deal with the green trails and possible IR than live with the myriad potential problems of LCDs (ghosting, flashlighting, backlight bleed, clouding, etc, etc, etc).

And yes, plasmas can be found much cheaper than LCDs. Check out the 46" model above on Amazon right now and you'll find that it's close to your price range. The lower model (TH-46PZ80U) has basically the same image quality and is even less.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test123455 /forum/post/14276859

err...are there any technologies that aren't messed up somehow?

No, if you go with RPTV, you would have to deal with the silk screen effect & changing bulbs ever few months.

Check to see if the yellow fringing bothers you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kyllx3VaI8

That video is pretty fair on when fringing appears on a plasma & when it doesn't.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the TH-46PZ85U or TH-42PZ85U (same?) would look equal/better than the ln40a650 i had?

The yellow fringing is pretty damn annoying, but it doesn't seem like it happens too often. Also, burn in really isn't a big deal? and there wouldn't be any clouding/flashlighting issues here because it's plasma, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts