AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all and thanks for the wealth of info posted. I've been reading and researching for a while now and try to go through as much of your postings as possible.

I am a first time buyer...and am looking for some wise advice...not interested in bubbling about with a true entry level model...so hence my research here. I happen to like how "techy" everyone is here...I have spoken to on the phone with a few sales people who do not have a high regard for this site....due to "overanalysis" as they put it. But I for one see all the specifics you guys analyze as worth while information for those of us who do care about a certain amount of detail and where our money goes.

I'm somewhat lost in picking a first model from these choices I've narrowed down:

Infocus SP7210

Infocus IN76

HD 7100

I know it seems crazy but I intend to make it my full time TV. But on the "bright" side I don't watch much TV honestly.(more into movies)Maybe a large bulk on weekends(10-12hrs if that 1/2 every other day). I have satellite with non HD channels so I'm guessing it is 480i signal and have no plans currently to bring in HD channels at least not soon.

An under 500$ scaler if it exists at some stage later is not out of the question if it is a proven one.

I own a progressive scan DVD player and am looking around for a decent priced Blue-ray player or may build one into a PC. But this would come later.

So knowing my input signal will not be a gorgeous one I am trying to pay attention to the image processors noticing both the DCDi faraoudja and the Pixelworks as a factor in my case.(thanks again to all the techies out there)

I am not old but don't like to be bothered...at one point I was looking at the optoma HD73...but noticed the HD72 and 73 have bulb life/ballast issues. Which I don't think I want to deal with.

My budget is limited to doing the best I can meaning as close to a grand as possible if not less. If it were not for this I'd be all over the Infocus 7210 but it is tuff to find and when u do it is more like 1600$...what makes it tuffer is that it is a little older...but the bulbs are a non issue which is also factoring in.

I looked over the IN72 but think I may be better served with an IN76 due to its adaptability to 1080p and also native 720p rather than 480. I assumed that since this family all use pixelworks they would all work 480i just as good.....and the IN76 should render the same as an IN72 so why short myself out of a good 720p native? plz let me know if im off in reasoning.

The HD7100 is interesting as it is DC3 as well but I dont know what image processor it uses for my crappy SD signals(outside of my future blueray addition). And also it is part of the scary bulb family brewed by Optoma.

It is a tuff choice being that what comes up the winner is the most expensive and I think the oldest...but by the same token more than likely the most worthwhile.

My walls are 11 feet apart and my ceiling is probably 9-10 feet. It is not a bat cave but can be one if I close the external window shutters (aluminum clam types). And I can probably rig it to where I could do this from the inside if need be very easy.

I think i'd be wise to go with 720p native mostly becuz I know it will not downscale a 1080 image too badly versus a 480p machine bringing down a 1080p. Family will probably be coming over to game with Wii and Xbox console more often and while consoles change so do their resolutions so I figured 720p is what I should be after....but havent ruled out 480 possibly rendering the best with my SD signal.....but don't know enough to officialize that....and am thinking I should see no difference w/ a 720 machine using the same image processor of any 480.

Sorry for the length.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Of those, I would go for the 7210. It is definitely better than the IN76. Bulb prices are probably high though. You would probably get similar performance out of a refurb Marantz 8600 for a lot less though. The IN72 is only 480p and you will see screen door effect sitting less than 2x screen widths away. Definitely go at least 720p if you are getting blu-ray. For $1600 you could also get a 1080p LCD.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I would probably choose the 7210. It certainly has better optics than the IN72. On the other hand, the IN76 will look a lot cooler hanging from your ceiling. The scaler in the 7210 is Faroudja's DCDi, so you're not going to find a better outboard one for less than $500. I don't know what price you're looking at, but at one point Woot was unloading the 7210 for $999. That was obviously one of the projector deals of the century. If you can find one for anywhere near that price, I'd jump on it.

Jim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else ? I'm open to suggestions ...

how does the marantz do on de-interlacing 480 sd? I cant find what chipset it uses...looks proprietary.

goes to 1080i no 1080p? I've read this isnt a deal breaker tho...since it will down convert it to 720p....

but the price is right and I take it bulb life is good?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You may also want to check out the Sharp DT-510. That and the Marantz are probably the two best deals in

If you are still considering IN76 vs 7210, if your only consideration is image quality, the 7210 is better due to better optics (Zeiss), higher brightness, better DLP chip (DC3 vs DC2), and a 7 segment vs 6 segment color wheel (reduces dithering in dark areas).

In most every other area however, the IN76 is better. Better case (no light leakage), quieter fan and color wheel, better connectivity (true HDMI inputs vs the hokey M1-DA port of the 7210), and better deinterlacing of 1080i (IN76 performs weave to 1080p, 7210 bobs to 540p).

Faroudja processing is known for rendering smooth, jaggy-free, images. Pixelworks emphasizes sharpness and detail. Depends on what you prefer. I have an IN76, but also owned a 4805 which used Faroudja. For SD TV Faroudja was better IMO, but please be aware SD TV will look like crap no matter what the processing if you go too large with the image or sit too close.

Another consideration is reliability. The INxx platform has proved reliable in all areas except power supply and fuses. I don't know what percentage of units are affected, but there's been a number of owners who have had to send their unit in for repair for those reasons, including yours truly (about to send my IN76 away tomorrow). Luckily it's a pretty cheap fix at ~$250. The 7210 has seemed pretty reliable, but the color wheel in that model is not as reliable as the INxx platform it seems. That's just based on my sense from reading posts thru the years. No projector model is 100% problem free for year after year however, just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
696 Posts

Quote:
My walls are 11 feet apart and my ceiling is probably 9-10 feet

Aside from resolution, you need to consider the throw length. Infocus tends to have a fairly long throw length. With an 11' room, your pj will probably be no more than 10' from the screenwall. Using http://www.infocus.com/ProjectionCalculator.aspx and the IN72 as an example, you are only going to be able to project about a 70" diagonal picture. Is that going to be big enough for you?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I would be happy with 70" but knowing my throw range being short is why I considered the HD7100 but cannot find details on what image processor it has? also am not sure if in fact it is a problematic model with bulbs since it seems those are more problems with the HD72 or 73.

Although finding a 7100 is turning up to be a bit of a problem as well.

70" would be ok with me but a short throw projector would be more ideal or maximized.

Can anyone comment on the sharp or marantz 480i or SD processing chips/abilities?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Given the choice when the IN76 first came out I reviewed both of them at the same time in my dealers home (two theaters in two different rooms... so not side-by-side).

I chose to purchase the 7210 and have been very happy with my purchase. I use it for everything from the Evening News to Movie Night, to Xbox games.

I keep searching for a better replacement in 1080p, but so far have not felt compelled to jump on any of the newer machines. I project onto a 135" diag. Elite screen and still use Low Power mode and I have 1100 hours on my current bulb (which is the second replacement). I let the bulbs run 2000 hours and then replace them although you can reset the hours and the bulb will keep going if you have treated it "right." After 1000 hours on the last bulb I went to High Power for the second 1000 hours... but then I was using just a wall (apple-core colored) for projection. Now that I have a "real" screen I have not felt the need to run the projector in High.

You do need to consider the application however... if the 11' you are talking about is the maximum from front wall to the rear wall (not side to side) then you are going to be very limited on image size unless you can get a very short-throw projector... and then the image is going to have to be very good or you will be seeing the SDE effect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh yea it is definitely the wall to wall clearance I mean there is a window that is recessed a little further back right in the center across from the wall i plan to project to...but that may get the projector back by 11.5 from the wall and it would also sit about 3 feet from the ceiling.

You think the 7210 can hang w/ this short throw? i mean im happy with 75-85 but dont think I have enough space for more than 100.

SDE is a concern as the audience would be sitting about 8 or 9 feet from the wall.

I'll look up some info like u guys said on those machines....thanks for the help....any other inputs welcomed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have no discernible SDE on my 7210.

I got about a year of life out of my bulb and the only downside is buying new ones cost a fair amount but the proj itself dude is so friggin sweet. I'd pay 1600 gladly. I have a nephew and a buddy who were looking at 1k budget and got others and they just do not compare tbh. And that is with my ghetto tuning*ok we do have threads full of info here*, and home made screen).

Watching HD football or blu-ray content is so amazing except when my team loses
Then it is like a life-size kick in the gut.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I must amend my earlier statement as I juts found a thread with cheap bulbs

http://www.electrified.com/Cart/?ItemID=34294

I plan to buy 3 and hope there is a really good new tech out before I replace the 7210 but also knowing if I do change source and buy a new one it will sell much better with new bulbs on hand.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fleebay is just out of the question huh? also no way to get a warranty on it if I were to fleebay?

Any worst case scenarios on possible repairs from a fleebay purchase?

Ah....im searching and searching....tired....I dont like fleebay much either.

·
Registered
387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jterrell /forum/post/15573039

I must amend my earlier statement as I juts found a thread with cheap bulbs

http://www.electrified.com/Cart/?ItemID=34294

I plan to buy 3 and hope there is a really good new tech out before I replace the 7210 but also knowing if I do change source and buy a new one it will sell much better with new bulbs on hand.

Be careful as those are 3rd party bulbs. I gave them a try and had to send the first bulb back. The second one died in

·
Registered
3,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg /forum/post/15574924

Be careful as those are 3rd party bulbs. I gave them a try and had to send the first bulb back. The second one died in

1 - 16 of 16 Posts