AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just looking to read up on the following screens.. i just received my gateway plasma and i think im going to return it.. i hate th screen door effect you get on satelite tv and playback from xbox ( my current dvd player) the colors just dont look real on anything . im using s video cables throughout and i hate the picture so I just want to learn about it a little so i can make a educated decision on this screen i have whether to keep it or not.. or just spend 3 k on a regular tv with more features. what is the best picture quality tv in you opinion and why?

oh and i guess i should mention that i need around 40 inches or so ?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't recommend front-projection (the kind of display that throws light from behind the viewer to bounce off of a screen on the wall, like at movie theaters) at all because they tend to run at higher prices and screen sizes than you are going for, and are an entirely different beast to install as opposed to single-piece units. I've never seen or heard of an LCD screen at the sizes you want, but it would surely be too expensive if it exists.

That leaves direct cathode ray tubes (using a modernized version of the original technology that TVs have used since the beginning) and rear-projection sets. Because there are many people in situations comparable to yours, these are the two most common kinds.

If you don't like the screen door effect of plasmas, there's a good chance you won't like the way rear-projection TVs look either. And most of them are substantially bigger than 40" anyway. But a small rear-projection set would still be a viable option to consider. Go to an electronics store and try out their TVs of the screen size you're after, from various realistic distances and angles. Change the channel to get different data sources, and don't be afraid to mess around with the controls a bit. If you don't have this option and have no choice but to buy something unseen, I'd say to forget about projection sets.

What I'd really recommend is a very large direct-view TV. This technology is old and therefor established and reliable, but has been developed and modernized to create very nice HDTVs. Modern flat versions are viewable without distortion from any angle, while rear-projection screens darken quickly if you're not right in front of them, and have what I call a "screen-door effect", although it might not look the same as what you're talking about with the plasma. Direct-view TVs have the best image quality in their size range and are also less prone to burn-in than plasma or rear-projection TVs based on cathode ray tubes (which is close to all of them).

If you want a screen with the old standard width-height ratio (4:3), your biggest option is 40". Sony's 40XBR800 is this size; I don't know if other manufacturers make comparable sets or not. If you want a widescreen (16:9) TV, the biggest option is the 38" tube used by RCA (which will soon discontinue the F-38310 but hasn't yet) and Lowe. If you are willing to go down to 36" 4:3 screens and/or 34" widescreens, your options multiply dramaticly and include various models by at least half a dozen companies.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
There are many quality front projection televisions available for less than $1,000.

CRT front PJs provide a very nice picture. It is worth a look!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I would recommend a Sony 34XBR800 at around $2000. A very good set out of box with a full 2 year warranty (parts and labor)..in the home..Have had mine for 4 months and zero problems. Plasmas and other thin displays are getting better and less expensive. I believe, about 5 years, the time to buy one. At this point in time, buy a Wide Screen set. In several years, I believe you will be sorry if you did not. It is the way to go with DVD and HD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking at a couple of screens one is the xb800 and the other a panasonic plasma 42 inch HDTV..the cost is double of the sony but I like the 16:9 . but at this point I do like the picture of the sony better but the look of the panny, also the space savings in the room

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.