AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first i like to say this site is a wealth of information, I've been reading for the past week and learn something new everyday. what I'm looking for is help on speakers and a receivers. i went to a local 6th ave and prices and talked about some products that i would like to start with..

Denon 2802 receiver $599

denon dvd900 dvd player $279

NHT sb2 speakers 299 a set 1 set for front and 1 set for rear.. and a NHT sc1 center channel.. for 249

and hopefully a svs sub and s700 amp (looking to get it used)

what do you guys think of this set up so far.. I'm just starting out and am not looking to spend more then this .. are NHT speakers any good.. i read and searched and there is not much said about them, but those who have older models seem to love them .. as for the receiver should i be looking at the 3802 is the extra power needed for the NHTs?

what I'm mostly concerned with is sound clarity.. loudness is not that important..( small room ) I'm also going to be using the new Gateway 42 inch plasma.. i know that its not the best tv out there but being that its affordable and i got a extra discount i took it and am awaiting delivery next week.. please critique my set up ..thanks

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Quote:
I'm also going to be using the new Gateway 42 inch plasma.. i know that its not the best tv out there...
Do you realize that for 2/3 the price you can get a 46"-52" rear projection HDTV that looks as good or better than any $12,000 plasma? Of course...when it's turned off, it doesn't look as kewl.;)

Your electronics and speaker package is very good for the money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thanks.. as for the screen. 12k not even dreaming of spending that much on a tv yet.. i paid 3400 for it with a wall mount extra warranty accidental insurance and shipping :D

thanks for you help. at least I'm know I'm going the right way with this.. do you recommend the NHT speakers or think i should look at something else ?

·
Blues In Thirds
2,522 Posts
Jay,

I would put as much emphasis on the DVD player and, more importantly, the processor than anything else. If the quality of the upstream isn't up to snuff, it won't matter much on the downstream end. The processor you picked is certainly a good one but at this point, I would ask myself, can I do better given your budget....and all that....:rolleyes:

Hope this helps

Javry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you think i should be looking into a 3802 ? more power would be good.. but do i really need it . as for the dvd player I'm guessing a dvd 1600 would be a better way to go.. this is killing my budget but i guess i rather do it once and leave it that way for a while.. i decided i will be going with a 20 39 pc plus for the sub.. and the nhts for surrounds and center. now the receiver is the question at hand :D should i spend an extra 400 and get a 3803 ? i hope i don't have to i rather spend that on better cables :confused:

·
Blues In Thirds
2,522 Posts
Jay,

Okay.....well...now ya got me t' thinkin. In looking at the MSRP for the 2802 and adding 400 bucks, it sounds like you prefer to stay under a grand [TT&L], at least, for the processor. That's certainly plenty. So.....here's a couple of options that may work as boundary conditions for you:

Option 1.

Start out with the 2802 with the idea that 6 months to a year from now, you're going to be speculating on upgrades. That's assuming that the A/V-phile " I wonder what else is out there to buy" demon in you starts resurfacing soon after you make your purchase:D You may find that, for you, the 2802 hits the spot and that's as far as you want to go. It's a fine piece of equipment and the reviews [4.62/5 w/65 votes] certainly suggest that you won't be dissappointed....so, with this option, you have everything to gain and, IMO, absolutely nothing to loose.

Advantages:

A. You stay within your budget

B. If you choose to upgrade later, you'll have a better sense of what you're upgrading to.

C. You still have enough budget for other essentials

Disadvantage:

A. You'll probably miss out a little on "quality of sound".

B. Probably won't optimize the performance of your downstream equipment...SVS included.

C. You'll have to go through the hassle of selling the unit off when and if you decide to upgrade.

Option 2

You could max out your processor budget now and go with the 3802, another Denon piece, or something different altogether.

Advantage:

A. Better performance of your downstream equipment and hence, a more enjoyable A/V experience from the start.

B. The reverse of all the disadvantages to Option 1.

Disadvantages:

A. Since you'd be doing this without an upgrade, you'll be loosing out on the opportunity of trying the 2802 in your system. That could leave you wondering a lot about whether it would've worked out afterall.

B. You run the risk of blowing your budget...and in my mind, that ain't good. It just sours the whole experience....especially if you have a WAF to consider.

C. If you blow your budget, it won't leave you much room for other essentials...like cabling, and a few of those much desired DVDs.

Now...here's the criteria I would use in making a decision. If you're by and large a videophile, and you have a family [small kids n such] I would seriously look at Option 1. with that option, you have no real loss, IMO. If you're 50% or more audiophile [2 channel stereo], and you're single or married but don't have little ones yet, I would bias toward option 2.

In either case, Jay, keep all packaging and manuals in as good a condition as you can....for possible re-sell....and don't skimp on your cable. You don't have to get extreme with them but don't go dirt cheap either. Your component video cable and your audio digital out are the two most important pieces.

Hope this helps....:cool:

Javry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for that reply that really put things in tune for me.. i went with the 2802 and the nht.. the forum feedback helped alot . ill be getting this up and running monday night once the tv gets here.. ill post my impressions then :D

if anyone has a denon dvd 1600 or a svs 20 39 pc plus for sale drop me a line :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.