AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here,

I purchased a Samsung plasma with smart hub, i hooked up and external hard drive to the back of the tv in the usb marked HDD, when i go to the smart hub and try to play anything (mp3,avi....) i keep getting file format not supported, does anybody else have this problem with their smart tv?

Thanks

Kris

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner86 /forum/post/20794026

Hey guys new here, I purchased a Samsung plasma with smart hub, i hooked up and external hard drive to the back of the tv in the usb marked HDD, when i go to the smart hub and try to play anything (mp3,avi....) i keep getting file format not supported, does anybody else have this problem with their smart tv?

What country are you in? If you're in the USA, copyright laws prevent TVs from supporting or using an external hard drive. If you're in a country that allows this, isn't there anything about it in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20794141

What country are you in? If you're in the USA, copyright laws prevent TVs from supporting or using an external hard drive. If you're in a country that allows this, isn't there anything about it in the owner's manual?
I'm not aware of this being true at all. The device is designed to be used with hard drives and flash drives, and mine can play many types of video files.

OP, there are a number of codecs that the tv does not support, try a few files to see which ones you have luck with. I noticed one of the recent updates seems to have increased the file types I can play.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowphun /forum/post/20806028

I'm not aware of this being true at all. The device is designed to be used with hard drives and flash drives, and mine can play many types of video files.

OP, there are a number of codecs that the tv does not support, try a few files to see which ones you have luck with. I noticed one of the recent updates seems to have increased the file types I can play.

It looks like i'm the one who's confused - i mis-read the OP. The copyright laws prevent *recording* from the TV to a hard drive, but it is legal and possible in Europe. I got that mixed up with *playback*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts