AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
No one yet knows what Image's Hellbound will look like. To my knowledge no early caps or reviews have surfaced. The dvdbeaver review of Image's Hellraiser re-release just went up today. It's bare bones save for the trailer and, going by the specs, has an inferior video encode to Anchor Bay's (19.97Mbps avg/Image vs. 27.96Mbps avg/Anchor Bay). Also, the color scheme has been seriously reddened. I would snag either the US or UK Anchor Bay disc (identical, but I prefer the UK cover art) and for Hellbound, keep your fingers crossed the Image release doesn't look as ****** as the German one in that caps-a-holic comparison above.

Also, (Japanese) customer feedback over on Amazon JP seems to indicate that the films in the King Records set are cut. This is going by comments in the thread for the King Records set over on blu-ray.com.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio /forum/post/20895230

Alkaline - Thanks for your reply. I was typing when you posted and didn't realize.

On Amazon UK I only see a Hellraiser Blu-Ray from Starz Home Entertainment. Is this the one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hellraiser-B...4921537&sr=8-1

I would also prefer that cover, but as long as it's the same transfer.

Also, it seems like it would be sold by Vida Entertainment and fulfilled by Amazon UK. Since it will be shipping to United States, will this have any problems?

Starz = Anchor Bay. Starz bought them out a few years back, and all BD/DVD releases now contain both Anchor Bay/Starz insignias. I'm still in the habit of just calling em Anchor Bay. The UK disc is identical - same transfer, same audio, same extras, and region free.

Edit: ok, took a look at the amazon listing. What's happened is this is now OOP (like the U.S. Anchor Bay disc), so it's no longer available through amazon directly but only marketplace sellers. If you click where it says "12 new from..." on the product page it will show the list of all dealers selling through amazon. Only the sellers that list "international & domestic delivery rates" in the seller info blurb to the right of each listing offer shipping to the U.S. For example, if you sort by "price + delivery", the very first (cheapest) listing from 'Artdedemains' appears to offer international shipping. So you would just add that copy into your basket and checkout like you would with Amazon U.S. If for some reason you get the message "cannot be delivered to address given", then try the next one in the list that says international shipping.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio /forum/post/20898280

Hellbound: Hellraiser II from Image Entertainment is listed as unrated and has a running time of 99 minutes. Here: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hellbo...Blu-ray/25017/

This leads me to believe that it's probably going to be very similar to the Anchor Bay's DVD that I have. As long as it's that same cut, but with better picture/sound quality then it's really a no brainer.

Pretty certain Anchor Bay dumped a bunch of their licenses on Image given all the once AB titles upcoming from Image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio /forum/post/20898280

Now the best presentation of Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth was an uncut UK R2 DVD from Anchor Bay (I own this). This has long been OOP and is kind of rare and hard to find these days. Nothing, I repeat, NO OTHER RELEASE of this film has ever looked better than the Anchor Bay's DVD. It's a shame that this cut/transfer will never see the light of day on Blu-Ray. It seems like Echo Bridge Entertainment has the rights at the moment and who knows what cut and transfer they'll use. If the Blu-Ray ever comes out...

Echo Bridge's Hellraiser 3 DVD is basically LaserDisc quality heavily processed and stretched/squeezed (it's actually taken from Top Ten Media's illegal DVD release in the format's early days)...

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) DVD Comparison - Paramount US vs. Echo Bridge US vs. Anchor Bay UK

Both the Paramount and Anchor Bay crush its quality.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/0

Pretty certain Anchor Bay dumped a bunch of their licenses on Image given all the once AB titles upcoming from Image.

Echo Bridge's Hellraiser 3 DVD is basically LaserDisc quality heavily processed and stretched/squeezed (it's actually taken from Top Ten Media's illegal DVD release in the format's early days)...

Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992) DVD Comparison - Paramount US vs. Echo Bridge US vs. Anchor Bay UK

Both the Paramount and Anchor Bay crush its quality.

Laserdisc?? More like vhs!

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 /forum/post/20898677

Laserdisc?? More like vhs!

I read that the Echo Bridge Hellraiser 3 release may have been a copyright infringement because Paramount owns that one in the US. This would explain why they didn't get a better source than an old bootleg DVD. EB's legal department is just as stellar as their transfers.

·
Registered
310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat /forum/post/20898657

Yeah, what happened was Image acquired the rights to all New World Pictures-owned titles which had been previously distributed by Anchor Bay. Amongst these in addition to Hellraiser 1/2 are Dead Heat, Heathers, C.H.U.D., Children of the Corn, The Stuff, House 1/2, Creepshow 2, Return To Horror High, Elvira, Slugs, and Return of the Killer Tomatoes--basically all New World titles from 1984-onward. Of those I believe Dead Heat/Heathers are the only two with confirmed upcoming BD releases (re-release in Heathers' case). Shout Factory has the rights to some of their pre-1984 stuff, a few of which they've already released (e.g. Forbidden World, Galaxy of Terror)

Edit: Looks like Children of the Corn also has an Image re-release...due out Tuesday.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bought the Hellraiser UK disc cheap just now from play to be sure to have the best transfer (live in europe so free shipping is nice)

I think the Image Hellbound will look almost or just as soft as the german one and that is hideous

Last hope for 2-3 is the japanese discs!!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
The USA Anchor Bay Hellraiser is still available new via Ebay and Amazon marketplace sellers.

It's still possible to find the Anchor Bay Hellraiser DVDs on Ebay, including the UK 4-disc Collectors edition (even new) and generally the prices aren't ridiculous yet.

·
Banned
8,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathbone /forum/post/20906217

I have the Hellbound US BD here and it looks like the old Anchor Bay Tin Box DVD only upscaled. The BD has exactly the same digital grain structure like the DVD and doesn't show more detail.

So an upscale like the German one above then?

·
Registered
448 Posts
The hdtv rip of hellbound looks pretty good. Would be interesting to see matching comparison screens to the blu-ray.

Sucks if they failed big time on Hellbound when they made Hellraiser looking so good.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.